2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Neuromantic

So I got an email about a week ago from WashU asking for my CV for a scholarship I applied to, which I thought was promising but so far no contact about an interview, should I give up hope or do they tend to send out more than one batch?

2 hours ago, gaultiero said:

Congrats! Another school I was looking out for, do you mind elaborating on your profile?

Thanks. I have a physics background, medium GPA and GRE 160/170/3.5. ( Although my feeling is that many PIs don't care very much about scores. ) I worked on computational projects leading to 2 manuscripts and 2 in prep. Being an international student, I tried to spend two summers doing research at US institutions. I am quite grateful already, as everybody has been telling me the funding for intls is restricted in the neurograd program. I am not sure what will happen after the interview. 

Good luck to all of us!

Edited by memory_trace

On 12/21/2019 at 5:03 PM, AdamSugi said:

I think Princeton already sent all the invitation. 

If is there any international student that got an interview from Princeton, please let me know. I would like to know a little bit more about your profile.

International student; GRE: V165 Q167 4.0; BA+masters in Cognitive Science, GPA 4.0 (in both) . 2 publications (1st+2nd author), one more in prep. 2Y lab experience during bachelor studies, 2.5Y post-bach experience. 

Good luck!!! 

3 minutes ago, NeuroKween said:

Do any schools send stuff on 24/25 or do we have to wait till after Christmas now? 

I'd be highly surprised if anything else came out before at least the 30th, but who knows! I doubt anyone would send anything on Christmas, though!

Edited by Mimititi

14 hours ago, lil_neuron said:

i dont want to trigger anxiety for folks so im just going to warn that this question talks about interview travel

ok for those who got berkeley ucsf and ucsd  how are yall balancing the travel??? there seems to be pretty bad overlap

I haven’t heard back when I asked my POIs or adcom because holidays. I think it’s going to be a wait until at least the 2nd to find out what the options are. IIRC one of the interview weekends is something like 21-22, and then another weird one with 23-24, so if you are inclined I think we’re gonna have to squeeze in two interview events into a weekend somehow.

Edited by schaffercolls

3 hours ago, Mimititi said:

I saw one person post about University of Colorado @ Boulder (Behavioral), but did anyone here apply there and has anyone heard back? Anyone know if UW Madison has a second round of interview invites coming?

I emailed them this past friday about my application status and have received no reply. I know that's not really helpful but it seems like they're not super on the ball right now

4 minutes ago, rejectionkween2020 said:

I emailed them this past friday about my application status and have received no reply. I know that's not really helpful but it seems like they're not super on the ball right now

Was this Boulder or Madison? I’ve had phone interviews at both which I thought went very well, so I’m a bit confused....

Need to some advice: 

I was fortunate enough to receive two great interview offers from UCSD BBS and Brown Neuroscience. However, they are both on the same weekend (Feb 20-23). I contacted UCSD to see if they have an alternative weekend, which they do (Jan 30-Feb 2), but it's currently full. I got put on the waitlist for that interview weekend, but I doubt anyone will cancel their interview. I know Brown doesn't have an alternative weekend. They are both very different, but great programs and I would love to have the opportunity to interview at both. Does anyone have any other suggestions? 

53 minutes ago, neuromol said:

Need to some advice: 

I was fortunate enough to receive two great interview offers from UCSD BBS and Brown Neuroscience. However, they are both on the same weekend (Feb 20-23). I contacted UCSD to see if they have an alternative weekend, which they do (Jan 30-Feb 2), but it's currently full. I got put on the waitlist for that interview weekend, but I doubt anyone will cancel their interview. I know Brown doesn't have an alternative weekend. They are both very different, but great programs and I would love to have the opportunity to interview at both. Does anyone have any other suggestions? 

Brown doesn’t have an alternate (I’m also going). Maybe ask if you can do it via Skype. They’re nice. 

34 minutes ago, Mimititi said:

Brown doesn’t have an alternate (I’m also going). Maybe ask if you can do it via Skype. They’re nice. 

I am an international student and I applied for Brown Neuroscience.Can you share your academic profile.I have not received an interview invitation.

1 hour ago, NeuroKween said:

Im sort of noticing a trend that a lot of people with interviews are computational / theoretical / math and physics background people. I heard that admissions in many schools are looking for more people with these interests, and this sort of confirms that. 

I am a traditionally trained neuroscientist with minimal experience in comp. Most of the programs I applied to are comp programs— I think a combination of research interest and sufficient computational skills matters more than a purely mathematical background.