2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Neuromantic

12 minutes ago, blacknnerdy said:

Has anyone heard anything from UCSD Neuro? I just want to know if they already sent out invites so I can finally stop checking my email every 5 minutes lol

Edit: Never mind. I was looking at UCSD MCB.

Edited by angel lie

4 hours ago, RobertMoog said:

@EVIL GENIUS sounds real fierce (They do admit a few more than other programs I guess). I'm not ashamed! 

@t_lulu and @siguy, you both got really strong background, I bet you are popular!! Have you got any other invitations? 

Best of luck with all interviews everyone! 

aw haha thank you!! Harvard, MIT, and just got a call from Brown today as well! Waiting to hear back from a couple of schools in New York, but I'm already so happy and lucky to have these invites

16 hours ago, RobertMoog said:

Any internationals got Harvard PiN yet? I guess they have sent all invitations and I'm just not qualified. 

Harvard invites, mind sharing your stats? 

I emailed PIN admissions on Thursday. This was their answer:

"Yes I believe all applicants invited for an interview should have received an email on Thursday from the admissions committee. This year we had close to 700 applications for 17 slots. The committee of 30 faculty had a long, difficult deliberation. "

41 minutes ago, pinkmug said:

“Yes I believe all applicants invited for an interview should have received an email on Thursday from the admissions committee. This year we had close to 700 applications for 17 slots. The committee of 30 faculty had a long, difficult deliberation. "

This is almost 200 more than last year with less slots (they had 20 last year and I think took a few more than that). 

1 minute ago, Mimititi said:

Does anyone know if Wisconsin-Madison does invites in waves, or all at once? What about Princeton or Dartmouth? 

I think Princeton already sent all the invitation. 

If is there any international student that got an interview from Princeton, please let me know. I would like to know a little bit more about your profile.

47 minutes ago, AdamSugi said:

If is there any international student that got an interview from Princeton, please let me know. I would like to know a little bit more about your profile.

36 minutes ago, angel lie said:

Dartmouth PBS has already sent out invitations. Dartmouth PEMM has historically sent theirs the first week of January.

Thank you both! Good to know! I did not receive a rejection nor an invitation...does this mean a rejection is imminent?

Does anyone know about Colorado-Boulder (Behavioral Neuro), by the way? 

Edited by Mimititi

2 hours ago, pinkmug said:

"Yes I believe all applicants invited for an interview should have received an email on Thursday from the admissions committee. This year we had close to 700 applications for 17 slots. The committee of 30 faculty had a long, difficult deliberation. "

like 17 interview slots or acceptance slots?

1 hour ago, Mimititi said:

Thank you both! Good to know! I did not receive a rejection nor an invitation...does this mean a rejection is imminent?

Does anyone know about Colorado-Boulder (Behavioral Neuro), by the way? 

For Dartmouth PBS it seems like they stopped releasing interviews. I will tell you what I know for further advice because I see that you're interested in Behavioral Neuro. I met the Dartmouth PEMM committee and they warned me that the PBS program is actually very limited. A lot of the professors that show up under PBS on the website are not actually in PBS, they're in PEMM.  If I hadn't talked to them, I wouldn't have known and I would have made the mistake of applying to PBS based on the website. It's possible that your research interests were not actually aligned with PBS but rather with PEMM, which has a Neuroscience subdivision, although I don't know what your research is. I don't know if you or anyone else is planning on applying next round, but that's something to think about.

Edited by angel lie

2 hours ago, pinkmug said:

Thanks for the info! I guess it's gonna be harder and harder every year....

30 minutes ago, lil_neuron said:

like 17 interview slots or acceptance slots?

I would guess the 17 relates to the acceptance slots, based on several talks with my PI, who is on the admissions committee. He indicated a similar number was expected before the deadline.

11 minutes ago, RobertMoog said:

Thanks for the info! I guess it's gonna be harder and harder every year....

I can tell you that this program basically almost requires you to be a second-year PhD before you begin. Successful applicants must also have an exemplary record -- sometimes from high school on -- in a life sciences major, and usually have multiple top-level publications, numerous years of experience, nearly perfect scores across the board. I know that there is a "back channel" into PiN, but I don't quite understand how it works, so I don't want to post about it publicly. Profs and doctoral students in the program will basically tell you, so it's an "open secret".

2 hours ago, AdamSugi said:

I did receive one from Princeton Neuroscience. GPA 3.4, GRE 160/170/3.5, have a BSc outside US this summer, two first author manuscripts, two in preparation.  Worked on a very relevant topic with a PI’s work.

If anyone knows how many invitations this program send each year? Thanks in advance.

42 minutes ago, Mimititi said:

I would guess the 17 relates to the acceptance slots, based on several talks with my PI, who is on the admissions committee. He indicated a similar number was expected before the deadline.

dang... how many interviews are offered then? double that amount?

1 hour ago, Mimititi said:

I can tell you that this program basically almost requires you to be a second-year PhD before you begin. Successful applicants must also have an exemplary record -- sometimes from high school on -- in a life sciences major, and usually have multiple top-level publications, numerous years of experience, nearly perfect scores across the board. I know that there is a "back channel" into PiN, but I don't quite understand how it works, so I don't want to post about it publicly. Profs and doctoral students in the program will basically tell you, so it's an "open secret".

I know right. The thing like "you don't have to be neuro/life science major,""we don't have a minimal GPA," "publications are not required," etc. is not completely true, if not a lie. 

I know a third-year PhD in the program who was very encouraging and they told me it wouldn't be as crazy as I imagined. Yes it isn't, cuz it's crazier than I've ever thought. 

Thanks a lot for the info btw. Best of luck with your apps this year!