2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Neuromantic

49 minutes ago, angel lie said:

Just got Cornell NB&B (not Weill Cornell). So happy!!!!

Did the email come from a POI or a generic email from the administrative assistant? I was in touch with one of the members of the admissions committee, and I thought I would hear back positively. Haven't heard anything :(

18 minutes ago, mmalam294 said:

Did the email come from a POI or a generic email from the administrative assistant? I was in touch with one of the members of the admissions committee, and I thought I would hear back positively. Haven't heard anything :(

It was a personalized email that came from a POI that I had reached out to and Skyped with.

7 minutes ago, Herstology said:

Ok I think it was a mass email. I can move on now! 

That said, huge congratulations to you. They received a crazy amount of applications this year so you must have a very impressive background! 

do you know if they send rejection emails as well? did the status of your application change?

Edited by pinkmug

4 minutes ago, pinkmug said:

do you know if they send rejection emails as well? did the status of your application change?

Based on last year’s gradcafe I think they send rejections a few days later? I haven’t checked my application status but I’m assuming it’s a mass email since most reports came in at the same time 

1 minute ago, RobertMoog said:

It's approaching weekend and judging by the pathetic number of interview invitations I received so far, I think it would be safer if I apply for a few other programs with January deadlines. Anyone else...?

any suggestions?

6 minutes ago, ftb said:

any suggestions?

Believe it or not Oxbridge are easier to apply for than those with similar reputations in the states. (Funding of Cambridge has closed, but they still receive apps.) Personally I don't like the programs as much, cuz my undergrad is not in the field and I need courses. 

I guess I'll try a few more in Canada and UK, and maybe masters as well (I'd hate the debt but what else can I do?). Do you have anything in mind? 

26 minutes ago, RobertMoog said:

Believe it or not Oxbridge are easier to apply for than those with similar reputations in the states. (Funding of Cambridge has closed, but they still receive apps.) Personally I don't like the programs as much, cuz my undergrad is not in the field and I need courses. 

I guess I'll try a few more in Canada and UK, and maybe masters as well (I'd hate the debt but what else can I do?). Do you have anything in mind? 

Yeah ~ Oxbridge is much much easier to get in, but they have very limited funded positions for non-UK/EU students. UCL is also strong in neuroscience, and probably more expensive (London is great!) If you can apply for funding from external sources, getting admitted won’t be difficult. I think for US citizens there are some funding from NIH that you could apply for.

As a UK student not sure I agree with Oxbridge/UCL being easier to get into. Indeed UCL is one of the best neuroscience centres in the world and has amazing PhD programs - but most of them only offer around 5 places per year- so the competition is intense. But it never hurts to try- I believe some Oxford and UCL programs are still accepting applications until early January.

Goodluck:)

3 minutes ago, NeuroGal1 said:

As a UK student not sure I agree with Oxbridge/UCL being easier to get into. Indeed UCL is one of the best neuroscience centres in the world and has amazing PhD programs - but most of them only offer around 5 places per year- so the competition is intense. But it never hurts to try- I believe some Oxford and UCL programs are still accepting applications until early January.

Yeah I completely agree - Oxbridge/UCL are insanely competitive and funding is much harder to come by as an international student. Not sure where they got that from. Worth a try though.

Edited by McTender

17 minutes ago, NeuroGal1 said:

Not sure about UCL but I know Cambridge isn't as hard as Harvard/Stanford etc. Also with UK credentials applying for US programs is hard mode (in a lot of disciplines). Not holding my breath for it! 

Mind if I ask if you applied for any US programs and how it's going? 

5 minutes ago, RobertMoog said:

Not sure about UCL but I know Cambridge isn't as hard as Harvard/Stanford etc. Also with UK credentials applying for US programs is hard mode (in a lot of disciplines). Not holding my breath for it! 

Mind if I ask if you applied for any US programs and how it's going? 

Yeah I think for neuroscience UCL is more competitive than Oxbridge for sure. Yeah I agree with that-but oh well is worth the try.

I applied to few US programs : Harvard (didn't get the email today so probably a reject), CSHL, Columbia and Stanford- so I guess there is still time to hear back from these 3.

what about you?

On 12/17/2019 at 7:16 PM, jin3li3 said:

I have got a (in my view) pretty successful Skype talk with a POI at Princeton, but still have heard nothing...

Officially heard from POI that I didn't make it to the interview due to limited positions for international students...Hopelessly viewing the forum until suddenly I received an invitation from Chicago CompNeuro!! Finally something to live for!

18 minutes ago, NeuroGal1 said:

Yeah I think for neuroscience UCL is more competitive than Oxbridge for sure. Yeah I agree with that-but oh well is worth the try.

I applied to few US programs : Harvard (didn't get the email today so probably a reject), CSHL, Columbia and Stanford- so I guess there is still time to hear back from these 3.

what about you?

I applied for Harvard as well and didn't hear anything today :( so far a rejection from U Michigan, interview from Caltech. 

I wonder if they have a different schedule for international applicants...? 

CSHL is great, a colleague from my lab worked there, and she liked it :) 

Good luck! 

18 minutes ago, jin3li3 said:

Officially heard from POI that I didn't make it to the interview due to limited positions for international students...Hopelessly viewing the forum until suddenly I received an invitation from Chicago CompNeuro!! Finally something to live for!

Congrats! I thought few PIs are willing to talk before committee view your materials. Have you skyped many of your POIS? 

9 minutes ago, RobertMoog said:

Congrats! I thought few PIs are willing to talk before committee view your materials. Have you skyped many of your POIS? 

I emailed some professors for sure and I would generally ask whether they'd want a skype talk. I only ended up with talking to two, one from Princeton and one from Brown. I am not sure whether those pre-interviews would help, but at least I got to practice my interview skills.