2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Neuromantic

52 minutes ago, AdamSugi said:

hahaha me too, submitted at the day of the deadline too. Did they tell you when the interviews are going to happen?

Haha probably they have very few positions for international students. Some programs put that on their website, but not sure about Princeton.

4 minutes ago, Polar said:

Haha probably they have very few positions for international students. Some programs put that on their website, but not sure about Princeton.

Yeah, I was already expecting very few spots. It was kind of a shot, but let wait and see. 

5 minutes ago, Polar said:

I have heard from POI that princeton can only accept 1-2 international students each year

8 minutes ago, siguy said:

I have heard from POI that princeton can only accept 1-2 international students each year

Haha good luck! I guess I might be waiting for rejection now.

Just curious - for Princeton applicants, are you intended for computational/theoretical work? Or lab work?

1 hour ago, Neuromag said:

Does anyone know if Tufts sends interview invitations in waves? Just saw a post in the results page. 

Also, is it usual for interview invitations for international applicants to be sent later? 

I posted about Tufts. I think there will be more invites. They only have one interview weekend and it’s a very popular weekend with schools so I had to decline and I imagine others will be in the same boat.  

31 minutes ago, Polar said:

Haha good luck! I guess I might be waiting for rejection now.

Just curious - for Princeton applicants, are you intended for computational/theoretical work? Or lab work?

I wanted to work with PIs that have kind of good balance between the two. I came from a biomedical background, but had good exposure to theoretical work and enjoy both.

To the people who haven’t heard anything, stay positive! There’s still time this round and if you don’t hear anything this round, there’s always next year! I got rejected from every program I applied to last year, but worked hard and let it motivate me and this year got an interview offer from every program I applied to. 

13 minutes ago, phd2020 said:

To the people who haven’t heard anything, stay positive! There’s still time this round and if you don’t hear anything this round, there’s always next year! I got rejected from every program I applied to last year, but worked hard and let it motivate me and this year got an interview offer from every program I applied to. 

This! I applied to 11 schools last year and got rejected from all of them. Got one interview so far and I'm already pretty happy!

17 minutes ago, Luigileo said:

Congrats! Would you mind telling when did you receive the invite? Was it from POI or the department inviting to the interview weekend? Thanks a lot! Best of luck!

Sure, it was at around 2PM PST today. I got an email from my #1 pick prof. I was surprised as I didn’t contact any of the profs I chose and wrote about in my SOP. 

2 minutes ago, Claire_98 said:

Any international applicants here got any notifications yet? Is this week the final chance of getting interview before January? I cannot stop refreshing my email every ten minutes......

International applicant here, nothing yet... It's killing me.

I guess it's the last week of decision before January? After this week it's holiday.

8 minutes ago, Claire_98 said:

Any international applicants here got any notifications yet? Is this week the final chance of getting interview before January? I cannot stop refreshing my email every ten minutes......

Just counted all the results with I or U status (international). I've only seen about ~12 interview results with the keyword "neuroscience": Pitts, Iowa, UMich, OSU, Duke, Northwestern, Baylor University, Baylor medicine, Brandeis (2), UT Dallas (2), and 1 OHSU rejection.

Any idea WHEN would other schools respond to international applicants?

8 hours ago, phd2020 said:

Mind elaborating on your stats & programs?

Edited by gaultiero

3 hours ago, Polar said:

Just counted all the results with I or U status (international). I've only seen about ~12 interview results with the keyword "neuroscience": Pitts, Iowa, UMich, OSU, Duke, Northwestern, Baylor University, Baylor medicine, Brandeis (2), UT Dallas (2), and 1 OHSU rejection.

Any idea WHEN would other schools respond to international applicants?

My friend was notified by UCSF today, but she is not applying for neuro...I guess we'll have to wait until mid-Jan :(

Hi guys! International applicant from the UK here and just discovered Grad Cafe! Does anyone know if NYU and Weill Cornell accept a decent percentage of internationals and if they send the invites the same time as for the US applicants? 

Good luck to everyone! :)