2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Neuromantic

On 12/8/2019 at 8:53 AM, ftb said:

Good luck to everyone! To the people that already received an interview invitation to UPenn, when did you submit your applications?

I submitted mine on the 28th

I emailed the neuro chair, though, just updating him that i submitted my application (like dec 2). He got back to me the next day and then i got an interview invite on the 5th 

Hi everyone! Current research tech here, I applied to several neuro and bio programs (UCSD, UCSF, UCLA, UWashington, UOregon, Vanderbilt, Emory,  USC, OHSU, and Georgetown) and I'm playing the waiting game now!

I was asked by a PI at UOregon to Skype about my research interests today, which I believe is probably to determine if they'll have me for an interview. If anyone has advice on making a good impression, please let me know! Should I prep like I would for an in-person interview? 

7 hours ago, caffeinemouse said:

Hi everyone! Current research tech here, I applied to several neuro and bio programs (UCSD, UCSF, UCLA, UWashington, UOregon, Vanderbilt, Emory,  USC, OHSU, and Georgetown) and I'm playing the waiting game now!

I was asked by a PI at UOregon to Skype about my research interests today, which I believe is probably to determine if they'll have me for an interview. If anyone has advice on making a good impression, please let me know! Should I prep like I would for an in-person interview? 

The only prep you should need (for any interview) is knowing about your research and having an idea of which faculty at that school are doing things you're interested in/you'd want to work with.

Did you contact this person at any point or did they randomly reach out?

My main tip is ask them questions about the program/location/their lab. 

Hey guys, I'm an undergrad at NYU and applied to these schools focusing on computational disease labs: UW, NYU, Harvard, UCSF, Stanford, Weill Cornell, Tri-institutional program for Computational Biology, UCLA, UC Berkely

GPA: 3.6

Research: 3 summers at different labs, and currently working at my current lab for the past year and a half funded by an NIH training program

Hopefully I hear back for interviews soon since I know notifications are starting to go out!!

16 hours ago, BabyScientist said:

The only prep you should need (for any interview) is knowing about your research and having an idea of which faculty at that school are doing things you're interested in/you'd want to work with.

Did you contact this person at any point or did they randomly reach out?

My main tip is ask them questions about the program/location/their lab. 

I haven't spoken with the PI before, but listed them as faculty of interest and they are reviewing my application! Thank you for the tips. I'm hoping this leads to a formal interview! 

1 hour ago, RAYHONG said:

Hi everyone! Do people expect to get U Penn invites this week? I am an international student and the coordinator told me that the invites are going out on the late side because the program can only admit a limited number of international students.

Hi, from what I can tell all of the people that were invited so far for UPenn were not international, so we'll have to wait a bit longer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, ftb said:

Hi, from what I can tell all of the people that were invited so far for UPenn were not international, so we'll have to wait a bit longer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah. I saw in last year's thread that most invites went out during the second week of December. I am not sure if this is still the case.

18 minutes ago, sixelanic said:

Anyone hear from University of Pittsburgh CNUP yet??? I saw ONE post on the Results page and the wait is killing me. :( 

I saw that one. I didn't apply to CNUP this year but I did last year and they don't extend offers right away, they do interviews first. I'm gonna assume that's a troll post on the results page.

14 minutes ago, pipettestan said:

I saw that one. I didn't apply to CNUP this year but I did last year and they don't extend offers right away, they do interviews first. I'm gonna assume that's a troll post on the results page.

Oh you're totally right. Now I see that they said they "set up a phone interview to extend an offer". I think my anxiety is getting the best of me lol

53 minutes ago, sixelanic said:

Oh you're totally right. Now I see that they said they "set up a phone interview to extend an offer". I think my anxiety is getting the best of me lol

jk seems like they're actually coming out, there's a new entry in the results page. They also to their invites in batches so if you didn't get one I wouldn't worry!

5 minutes ago, pipettestan said:

jk seems like they're actually coming out, there's a new entry in the results page. They also to their invites in batches so if you didn't get one I wouldn't worry!

AH okay here we go. Fingers crossed.  I see you also applied to Northwestern and I did as well! Best of luck to you!! 

1 minute ago, frannicole said:

Hi all! Very new to this process, does anyone know if they typically send invites to interviews all at once (like in one day) or over a period of days? Thanks and good luck to you all :)

I also have the same question... 

28 minutes ago, frannicole said:

Hi all! Very new to this process, does anyone know if they typically send invites to interviews all at once (like in one day) or over a period of days? Thanks and good luck to you all :)

If you're thinking of specific schools/programs, go search for them on the Results page and see if all their interview invites came out all at once last year.