2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Neuromantic

4 hours ago, Aplysia said:

Let me preface this by saying I am an undergraduate here and my thesis mentor has some ties with the admissions committee, so don't fret yet if you haven't heard from the program, but I just received my invitation to interview at Penn ☺️ Hopefully they send more emails soon!

Thats so quick ! Congrats !

@Aplysia I received an invitation yesterday as well! I was worried that it was a mistake since it seems so soon, but I feel reassured now lol

I definitely was not expecting this, so I'm very excited! I now also have a bit more hope for my 10 other applications ☺️

Good luck to everyone else who applied to UPenn!!

14 hours ago, Aplysia said:

Let me preface this by saying I am an undergraduate here and my thesis mentor has some ties with the admissions committee, so don't fret yet if you haven't heard from the program, but I just received my invitation to interview at Penn ☺️ Hopefully they send more emails soon!

Is this for the neuro or bio program?

31 minutes ago, EVIL GENIUS said:

Did anyone hear from Yale? I freaked out when I saw someone got interview from BBS.

I won’t freak out about Yale just yet. Yes, BBS interviews are going out, but it doesn't say they were neuro. If you look at last year’s reported dates for BBS-interdepartmental neuroscience interview offers, many weren’t until January. 

1 minute ago, Dopamine3.14 said:

I won’t freak out about Yale just yet. Yes, BBS interviews are going out, but it doesn't say they were neuro. If you look at last year’s reported dates for BBS-interdepartmental neuroscience interview offers, many weren’t until January. 

Thx. I will try to not kill myself until January!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Dopamine3.14 said:

Did any priority deadline people hear from UNC Chapel Hill BBSP yet? Low key panicked when I saw people got interviews on dec 4th and dec. 6th. 

I applied AFTER the priority deadline and have not heard from UNC (not really surprised).

I guess it may take them some time to send all the interviews... According to their previous stats, they have 1000+ applicants every year.

14 minutes ago, whitemocha said:

For those of you who received interview invitation from Brandeis, could you share your stats (gpa, gre,publications..etc) if you don't mind? I didn't get the email and am freaking out here.. ?

there's some stats on the results page already. The email said to pick an interview date by next friday which is UNUSUALLY (3 dates: one in jan, feb, and march). My guess is that who ever declines brandeis will have their spot passed down to the next batch of emails brandeis sends out later in the month.

7 hours ago, whitemocha said:

For those of you who received interview invitation from Brandeis, could you share your stats (gpa, gre,publications..etc) if you don't mind? I didn't get the email and am freaking out here.. ?

I received one of the invites to interview an Brandeis, and I have a 3.97 GPA, I didn't take the GREs, and I have about 1.5 years of research experience with no publications yet. I do have two publications being prepared, but I won't be first author on either. I was honestly pretty surprised to get an invite, since even though my GPA is pretty high, I don't have that much research experience. I hope that helps, and good luck with your applications! 

1 hour ago, biophd543 said:

I received one of the invites to interview an Brandeis, and I have a 3.97 GPA, I didn't take the GREs, and I have about 1.5 years of research experience with no publications yet. I do have two publications being prepared, but I won't be first author on either. I was honestly pretty surprised to get an invite, since even though my GPA is pretty high, I don't have that much research experience. I hope that helps, and good luck with your applications! 

For more perspective, I have a 3.1, 2 years of esearch experience, avg gre, no pubs out at the moment, but I'm working on a first-author paper. Stats are a poor way to compare yourself @whitemocha

Best of luck to everyone going through the waiting game right now, I know it's such a tough time! I look forward to meeting any of you who come to interview at UCLA :)

Anxiety is eaten me... Thought to post my stats tho it's much weaker than everyone else here lol

Undergrad: Current senior at UCSD

GPA: 3.74

GRE/TOEFL : N/A

Background: International, Asian female

Research experience --> ~.5 year at a cancer lab (basic bench work); less than 1 year at a psychiatry lab (current lab, conducting senior thesis)

Publication: 1 second-author pub just accepted (IF~12), no posters:(

LOR: one from my current PI which should be very strong (I LOVE HER SO MUCH); two from profs, both are amazing PIs at UCSD - one I did well in her class before, TAing for her right now and discussed my research; another is prof for a very small journal-club class, entirely discussion on research, and she knows me personally very well.

SOP/Research statement: Spent a lot of time; reviewed and edited by several grad students and they think it was good

Awards: Just normal things like provost honors(dean's list) etc.

Special points might help?: Active in neuroscience outreach with UCSD NGP

Research interest: affective disease, diet and stress related disorders (such as eating disorders/feeding, motivated behaviors etc.) - the latter one is not so common in here I think...  

Schools I applied(5): UCSD, UPenn, Mount Sinai, Weill Cornell, Columbia 

My research time is defo dragging me down so much:( Idk if a pub can help make up for it... Another huge factor is that I am international, aka the expensive one lol... But anyway Imma give this cycle a try and only apply to schools that are bio-medically focused and have many PIs doing work I am interested in. 

Also, if anyone has questions about UCSD, I am happy to answer. Good luck everyone!

Edited by CHRISZ531