2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Neuromantic

47 minutes ago, phd2020 said:

Any suggestions for telling a school that you aren't available to interview the weekend they suggested because you already accepted another interview offer for that weekend?

Ask them if they have alternative interview weekends and if not, ask if they'll let you do videochats. I ran into this issue when I applied and the school I was less excited about offered me the option of doing Skype interviews with faculty I was interested in.

3 hours ago, neuro101 said:

Does anyone know if phone interviews are generally from No Caller ID numbers?

In my experience, phone calls from schools have always been with an area code from the university's city/town. They should not be calling you from a number without a caller ID (and if for whatever reason they do and you don't pick up, they should leave a voicemail).

10 hours ago, gliagirl said:

Ask them if they have alternative interview weekends and if not, ask if they'll let you do videochats. I ran into this issue when I applied and the school I was less excited about offered me the option of doing Skype interviews with faculty I was interested in.

Thank you! This is super helpful. They scheduled the interview weekend to align with a conference at their school so I don’t know if they’ll be open to a different weekend but asked nicely. I’m still very interested in the program so I just hope they don’t misinterpret it! 

31 minutes ago, nerdyneuron said:

does anyone know how the committee does the initial screening process? Like do they actually read through all the personal statements, LORs, etc or do they initially look at GPA and weed out the outliers first & then read the essays/LORs/etc? 

Depends on the program. Some school's like CalTech do it based off number (GPA, GRE) first but generally committees put applicants in an absolutely must invite/recommended/absolutely do not invite pile and go based off that.

34 minutes ago, nerdyneuron said:

does anyone know how the committee does the initial screening process? Like do they actually read through all the personal statements, LORs, etc or do they initially look at GPA and weed out the outliers first & then read the essays/LORs/etc? 

A professor I talked to mentioned that they receive around 400 applications. By the time they are being reviewed in the committee there are only around 200 left.

7 minutes ago, MyelinatedSheath said:

Me too :(

also from the results page it looks like Sinai and Northwestern neuroscience sent out invites, so that is unfortunate 

Ugh, here's to hoping Northwestern doesn't send them out in one big batch...

(edit) jk it seems like they do :(

Edited by pipettestan