Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
clc93

Anyone applying or currently in Speech masters online program?

Recommended Posts

HI! 

I'm interested in applying to SLP online programs. The ones I'm interested in are Baylor, Emerson and NYU for January 2020. Is anyone else also applying? Or is anyone currently in any of these programs? Any information would be greatly appreciated! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, clc93 said:

HI! 

I'm interested in applying to SLP online programs. The ones I'm interested in are Baylor, Emerson and NYU for January 2020. Is anyone else also applying? Or is anyone currently in any of these programs? Any information would be greatly appreciated! 

Hi!!

I was recently accepted into Baylor's online program this week! For me it took about 7 weeks to receive a decision due to finals, etc. My admissions counselor was super helpful and nice throughout the entire process and kept an open communication policy the entire time. She was the one who called me to notify me of my acceptance. The cost is daunting, but you have to remember that you are investing into your future and your career and you will pay it off!! The in-person program is super competitive and the same is to be said about the online, so I've heard. I'll be apart of the first cohort which begins in August, so I imagine it'll be some trial and error this first year online. I didn't have a super competitive GPA or GRE, but I have been working as a SLPA for three years, and received awesome letter of rec letters as well as I feel wrote a strong letter of intent. I don't have too much information on what happens next and will be meeting with my counselor soon for the next steps, but feel free to message me on here and I will try and be as helpful as I can! Good luck!

Edited by BlackGirlSpeechie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BlackGirlSpeechie said:

Hi!!

I was recently accepted into Baylor's online program this week! For me it took about 7 weeks to receive a decision due to finals, etc. My admissions counselor was super helpful and nice throughout the entire process and kept an open communication policy the entire time. She was the one who called me to notify me of my acceptance. The cost is daunting, but you have to remember that you are investing into your future and your career and you will pay it off!! The in-person program is super competitive and the same is to be said about the online, so I've heard. I'll be apart of the first cohort which begins in August, so I imagine it'll be some trial and error this first year online. I didn't have a super competitive GPA or GRE, but I have been working as a SLPA for three years, and received awesome letter of rec letters as well as I feel wrote a strong letter of intent. I don't have too much information on what happens next and will be meeting with my counselor soon for the next steps, but feel free to message me on here and I will try and be as helpful as I can! Good luck!

Congrats!!! Yes, with the tuition, definitely a great investment. Its my 2nd attempt at applying to the masters program but first time with online programs so ive been trying to take in as much info as possible. Im currently studying for the GRE and working on my personal statement. Did they ask you to do an interview at all? 

Thanks so much for sharing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, clc93 said:

Congrats!!! Yes, with the tuition, definitely a great investment. Its my 2nd attempt at applying to the masters program but first time with online programs so ive been trying to take in as much info as possible. Im currently studying for the GRE and working on my personal statement. Did they ask you to do an interview at all? 

Thanks so much for sharing!

You're welcome, and that's good that you are doing your research; I was the same way! Continue to push towards your goal; I received a few rejections before I got my one yes! You can do it! No, an interview was not required! Just the application with the materials they asked for and that's it! I believe their deadline is July 1st, so you still have time to apply, and there is a webinar that is TODAY (6 PM CST, 7PM EST) that will go over everything you need to know about the program! I attended one a few weeks back right before I applied, and it was super helpful!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BlackGirlSpeechie said:

You're welcome, and that's good that you are doing your research; I was the same way! Continue to push towards your goal; I received a few rejections before I got my one yes! You can do it! No, an interview was not required! Just the application with the materials they asked for and that's it! I believe their deadline is July 1st, so you still have time to apply, and there is a webinar that is TODAY (6 PM CST, 7PM EST) that will go over everything you need to know about the program! I attended one a few weeks back right before I applied, and it was super helpful!! 

Awesome thank you so much again!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I currently have applied to both Baylor and NYU! Both were easy enough to apply, and NYU waived the fee for attending a webinar, which I believe they do monthly. When you request for more info they'll usually email you dates for the webinars and how to get your application fee waived for attending. I called to touch base about my application, and the admissions counselor at Baylor asked me a few questions (do I have a support system, what's my internet connection like, etc.). The cost of both programs are daunting for me, since I'm out of field and would need to take leveling courses in addition to graduate courses, so if you're in field or have taken pre-requisites it will be much cheaper. I'm still waiting for them to finalize my application and have it reviewed so crossing my fingers that it's all over soon and I get an acceptance somewhere hopefully! Best of luck to you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lyha8 said:

I currently have applied to both Baylor and NYU! Both were easy enough to apply, and NYU waived the fee for attending a webinar, which I believe they do monthly. When you request for more info they'll usually email you dates for the webinars and how to get your application fee waived for attending. I called to touch base about my application, and the admissions counselor at Baylor asked me a few questions (do I have a support system, what's my internet connection like, etc.). The cost of both programs are daunting for me, since I'm out of field and would need to take leveling courses in addition to graduate courses, so if you're in field or have taken pre-requisites it will be much cheaper. I'm still waiting for them to finalize my application and have it reviewed so crossing my fingers that it's all over soon and I get an acceptance somewhere hopefully! Best of luck to you!

Good luck to you!! I have been receiving those emails, I will be on the look out for the next one. I took the prerequisites a few years ago, so much only concern is that they are still accounted for. I think some schools said no more than 5 years. I hope this time I make it in!

Thank you for sharing!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 9:27 PM, SLaurP said:

Info from another current thread on Speech@Emerson:

 

Thank you for sharing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello! I got into all 3 schools and denied acceptance due to the steep prices. They offered me a $5000 scholarship (total), which was almost laughable since $5000 spread out would be about 1/9 of the cost of ONE class...

If you're rich, choose NYU, if you're not- I'd reapply to other schools. They are great programs though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MadisonMachelle said:

Hello! I got into all 3 schools and denied acceptance due to the steep prices. They offered me a $5000 scholarship (total), which was almost laughable since $5000 spread out would be about 1/9 of the cost of ONE class...

If you're rich, choose NYU, if you're not- I'd reapply to other schools. They are great programs though.

Yea the tuition is crazy. How was the application process for you? Also, did you only submit academic letters of reference? 

Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.