MPH 2020 Canada

Jill98

12 hours ago, Miday said:

Hello everyone.

I am an international student. Applied to University of Alberta, MPH Food Safety specialization. I see that most people don't really apply for Food Safety specialization. I am a bit nervous abt this whole process. I hope it ends well. 

Hello, yes! You are right. 

I noticed this as well. I went through their graduation lists on Facebook and it's only one person I saw graduating with Food Safety, since 2017.

You probably have a higher chance of getting in since not so many people apply for it. 

All the best! 

Edited by SheeBella

10 hours ago, SamuelSR said:

Hello, when can we expect an reply from UA for sep 2020 admission? 

Does CEPH accreditation carry any value/significance? 

Bigger univ such as UT, McGill, etc, do not have it..any thoughts guys?

Hello, I think it depends. I've seen people commenting that they got replies from the University of Alberta from as early as January and some as late as April/May in previous years. I came across some threads for previous years on here. 

For example, for fall 2019, I saw someone saying that he got the admission offer in January, another one in Feb, others early March etc

5 hours ago, SheeBella said:

Hello, yes! You are right. 

I noticed this as well. I went through their graduation lists on Facebook and it's only one person I saw graduating with Food Safety, since 2017.

You probably have a higher chance of getting in since not so many people apply for it. 

All the best! 

Went through their graduating list too saw only 1 person too. Had my undergraduate course in Food Science, nd I work in a food production company. I hope it ends well. All the best dear.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:28 AM, SheeBella said:

Hello, I think it depends. I've seen people commenting that they got replies from the University of Alberta from as early as January and some as late as April/May in previous years. I came across some threads for previous years on here. 

For example, for fall 2019, I saw someone saying that he got the admission offer in January, another one in Feb, others early March etc

Thanks a lot :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 11:17 PM, Swati95 said:

Hello all!

I am an international applicant from India and I'm applying to MPH at UBC. I was wondering if anyone here knows what the acceptance rate is?

Thank you in advance and good luck everyone:) 

Hi, 

I also applied to UBC! Based on their 2018 admission statistics,  there were 305 applications, 52 offers, and 26 new registrants (https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/graduate-degree-programs/master-of-public-health). 

On 1/10/2020 at 2:47 AM, Miday said:

For university of Alberta applicants, has ur status changed on the grad portal or bear tracks. Cos mine has been on decision pending since october.

Nope! My status is still "decision pending." 

hi everyone. applying to toronto's MPH (Epi) and MSc (clin epi program). likely going to be doing the collaborative specialization in global health. would prefer to do the MPH and take clinical epi electives for quant/qual methodology.

finished undergrad+medical school in canada. social sciences undergrad. final 2 year GPA was 3.9/4.0. medical school was purely pass/fail. didn't do the GRE. no prior grad school.

finished residency and am now in subspecialty training in toronto. clinically worked as a physician in resource-limited settings for the past five years.

good luck to everyone; should find out soon!

Edited by elscorchoo

On 1/14/2020 at 11:30 AM, ruralbcgal said:

Nope! My status is still "decision pending." 

Mine says "pre-screening" and decision: pending also. 

Edited by klesis7

2 hours ago, klesis7 said:

Mine says "pre-screening" and decision: pending also. 

When did it change to pre-screening? Is it on bear track or GSMS portal? Which specialization?

Edited by Miday

13 hours ago, Miday said:

When did it change to pre-screening? Is it on bear track or GSMS portal? Which specialization?

HP specialization.

I believe it was changed on GSMS portal after the holidays, couldn't exactly remember. It says "application status: pre-screening", but when I expand the view under details, then it's "decision: pending"

18 hours ago, klesis7 said:

HP specialization.

I believe it was changed on GSMS portal after the holidays, couldn't exactly remember. It says "application status: pre-screening", but when I expand the view under details, then it's "decision: pending"

Ok thanx

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:03 AM, klesis7 said:

Just submitted my application a couple weeks ago to UofA MPH - HP stream. 

I don't have a high GPA, but public health has been my passion and I'm very excited to apply for the program

I currently volunteer at a lab that does research on childhood immunizations, and have done some work in Indigenous communities up north in community public health related to health advocacy, and initiating health promo programs/initiatives. 

I wonder how much importance schools place on grades. 

Wishing everyone all the best on their applications :) 

Hi Klesis!

I have also applied for the UAB  MPH program but in biostats. Just wondering if you know when we will hear from them regarding a decision?

Regards,

Sam

10 hours ago, SamuelSR said:

Hi Klesis!

I have also applied for the UAB  MPH program but in biostats. Just wondering if you know when we will hear from them regarding a decision?

Regards,

Sam

I am also curious about when admission offers go out. I applied to the Health Policy and Management specialization at UAlberta. Did anyone else apply to this specialization? 

Hi another 2020 applicant here! 

I also applied to U of A (health promotion online) and currently my status says decision pending.  The wait is killing me!! 

I have also applied to lakehead/brock/Uvic and Waterloo but I'm not sure if I will even get in this year. 

My profile :

GPA of 3.4 

Strong professional references but my academic one may not be so strong cause I failed to build a strong relationship with my professor and I also do have one year of experience in the field. 

I would think my letter of intent is fairly strong as well.

I'm also taking a stats course and hoping to get an A+ but despite this I'm not sure if I am a competitive applicant.

Can everyone else please share their profile? 

2 hours ago, Meeha said:

Hi another 2020 applicant here! 

I also applied to U of A (health promotion online) and currently my status says decision pending.  The wait is killing me!! 

I have also applied to lakehead/brock/Uvic and Waterloo but I'm not sure if I will even get in this year. 

My profile :

GPA of 3.4 

Strong professional references but my academic one may not be so strong cause I failed to build a strong relationship with my professor and I also do have one year of experience in the field. 

I would think my letter of intent is fairly strong as well.

I'm also taking a stats course and hoping to get an A+ but despite this I'm not sure if I am a competitive applicant.

Can everyone else please share their profile? 

GPA (last 60 credits): 3.88/4.0

Degree: BA in Honours Psychology (completed an undergraduate thesis and involved in several research projects; working on publishing right now)

Stats: B-, but I'm upgrading it right now and currently sitting at an A+ after my midterm (way easier the second time around/after doing research lol)

Volunteer/work experience: volunteered on a distress line, as an education volunteer for sexual violence and consent, as a research assistant, and at a homeless shelter; currently working at a shelter with individuals impacted by homelessness and poverty and involved in harm reduction; learning A LOT about the barriers people face in accessing the proper supports

References: pretty strong I think? Not 100% sure what was said about me because only one of my referees shared their letter with me haha

LOI: who knows, I think it's pretty decent?

Goal: I'm hoping to focus in mental health and addictions, and focus (even further) into homelessness and poverty, if possible (though will be happy being involved in mental health and addictions more broadly as well)

Applied at: UofA (health promotion & health policy and management), UBC, USask, UVic (health policy), and SFU. 

I think where I fall short is the professional experience, but I'm hoping what I've done will be enough :) The wait is killing me too!! I just want to know so I can figure out my next steps haha. Hopefully we find out soon, last year UofA application starting finding out early Feb I believe, but a friend told me that they were really ahead of the game last year, whereas years prior they were way behind. I guess we'll see!

3 hours ago, MPH_Hopeful_2020 said:

GPA (last 60 credits): 3.88/4.0

Degree: BA in Honours Psychology (completed an undergraduate thesis and involved in several research projects; working on publishing right now)

Stats: B-, but I'm upgrading it right now and currently sitting at an A+ after my midterm (way easier the second time around/after doing research lol)

Volunteer/work experience: volunteered on a distress line, as an education volunteer for sexual violence and consent, as a research assistant, and at a homeless shelter; currently working at a shelter with individuals impacted by homelessness and poverty and involved in harm reduction; learning A LOT about the barriers people face in accessing the proper supports

References: pretty strong I think? Not 100% sure what was said about me because only one of my referees shared their letter with me haha

LOI: who knows, I think it's pretty decent?

Goal: I'm hoping to focus in mental health and addictions, and focus (even further) into homelessness and poverty, if possible (though will be happy being involved in mental health and addictions more broadly as well)

Applied at: UofA (health promotion & health policy and management), UBC, USask, UVic (health policy), and SFU. 

I think where I fall short is the professional experience, but I'm hoping what I've done will be enough :)The wait is killing me too!! I just want to know so I can figure out my next steps haha. Hopefully we find out soon, last year UofA application starting finding out early Feb I believe, but a friend told me that they were really ahead of the game last year, whereas years prior they were way behind. I guess we'll see!

Wow you seem like a competitive applicant!!! 

Goodluck :)

On 1/10/2020 at 3:47 AM, Miday said:

For university of Alberta applicants, has ur status changed on the grad portal or bear tracks. Cos mine has been on decision pending since october.

Hey, I also applied to the U of A (in the HP and management stream). I called them awhile back and they said the latest that you will be alerted of an admission decision is the third week in March aha. So we could be waiting for awhile.