MPH 2020 Canada

Jill98

On 1/31/2020 at 12:43 PM, dn98 said:

Hey, I also applied to the U of A (in the HP and management stream). I called them awhile back and they said the latest that you will be alerted of an admission decision is the third week in March aha. So we could be waiting for awhile.

I applied to the UofA and they said the same thing, mid march. I applied to the biostats program as well, but I hear the offer 8-10 seats for that program. So fingers crossed. 

1 hour ago, sqlmami said:

I applied to the UofA and they said the same thing, mid march. I applied to the biostats program as well, but I hear the offer 8-10 seats for that program. So fingers crossed. 

Wow best of luck! I'm sure you'll be fine. Do you know how many seats they offer for the other specializations?

23 hours ago, dn98 said:

Wow best of luck! I'm sure you'll be fine. Do you know how many seats they offer for the other specializations?

Hey, not quite sure but I think the total is 250, but I believe health policy management is the most popular one from speaking to an advisor. Thats the most competitive. From what I hear, the MPH program is a fall back for lots of people who are interested in med, pharm and dent. So its pretty unfair. 

Hey, I'm an international applicant from Singapore. I've applied to UBC MPH and McGill MScPH. I'm curious as to when I'll hear from them since it's been a while. Has anyone heard from these universities yet?

Edited by louise97

On 2/4/2020 at 10:18 AM, sqlmami said:

Hey, not quite sure but I think the total is 250, but I believe health policy management is the most popular one from speaking to an advisor. Thats the most competitive. From what I hear, the MPH program is a fall back for lots of people who are interested in med, pharm and dent. So its pretty unfair. 

Oh I'm surprised to hear that. I was looking at their grad class from last year and no one in the HP and management field was graduating, so I didn't think that they had as many people interested in that specialization, but dang, that's tough. I heard that about the med, pharm, and dent thing as well. That is unfair, but oh well. 

On 2/3/2020 at 3:51 PM, glhw said:

Hey everyone, with applications all submitted now I ended up applying to UBC, SFU, Guelph, and Queens. Anyone else for these programs?

I also applied to UBC, SFU, and Guelph! As well as Alberta (Health Promotion), Western, and Waterloo. 

I don't expect to hear back from any of them until mid- to late March. 

21 hours ago, Anon2 said:

I applied to U of T's MPH - does anyone know how we are expected to track the status of our application? Is it through ACORN? Or the SGS online portal? Where are updates posted?

I read that they would send you an email saying that a decision has been made then you go to SGS to check your status. 

Mine still says under review; on last year's forums it sounds like some people found out end of Feb/early March so I'm counting down the days lol

On 2/5/2020 at 3:25 AM, kat95 said:

I applied for Queens and Guelph as well, good luck! ?

On 2/7/2020 at 9:38 AM, ruralbcgal said:

I applied to UBC and SFU! 

On 2/8/2020 at 6:58 PM, Sekai said:

I also applied to UBC, SFU, and Guelph! As well as Alberta (Health Promotion), Western, and Waterloo. 

I don't expect to hear back from any of them until mid- to late March. 

Fingers crossed for all of us! :)

On 2/7/2020 at 1:49 AM, louise97 said:

Hey, I'm an international applicant from Singapore. I've applied to UBC MPH and McGill MScPH. I'm curious as to when I'll hear from them since it's been a while. Has anyone heard from these universities yet?

UBC's deadline was Jan 15 so I don't think we'll hear back until at least March

18 hours ago, duonggnguyen18 said:

I believe their applications must be extremely outstanding. I got rejected last year but did not receive any responses until the beginning of March

My U of A GSMS portal has changed to pre screening.

23 hours ago, duonggnguyen18 said:

I believe their applications must be extremely outstanding. I got rejected last year but did not receive any responses until the beginning of March

Do you mind sharing your profile? 

I hope you receive  good news from them this year!!

49 minutes ago, Meeha said:

Do you mind sharing your profile? 

I hope you receive  good news from them this year!!

Thank you!

mine is not very competitive considering U of A prioritizes applications with high GPAs. My gpa was <3.4 but was in top 5 of the class, i got a few volunteer/research experience plus a few months of full time employment.

i also planned to go for post grad courses in Can so i'm not expecting much tho

On 2/8/2020 at 9:24 AM, mphhopeful2020 said:

I read that they would send you an email saying that a decision has been made then you go to SGS to check your status. 

Mine still says under review; on last year's forums it sounds like some people found out end of Feb/early March so I'm counting down the days lol

This is honestly so long of a wait ngl, especially considering that there's literally complete radio silence from the day of the deadline to the day they make a decision 2-3 months later aha

But anyways, thanks!

12 hours ago, duonggnguyen18 said:

Thank you!

mine is not very competitive considering U of A prioritizes applications with high GPAs. My gpa was <3.4 but was in top 5 of the class, i got a few volunteer/research experience plus a few months of full time employment.

i also planned to go for post grad courses in Can so i'm not expecting much tho

I think they put everything into consideration. I saw somewhere on their website that for the MPH applicants, work experience really matters. But again it goes on to say that evaluation is done depending on one's GPA, SOP, Work experience and references... 

I have a friend who was rejected in 2017, reapplied in 2018 with a stronger SOP and was accepted. So maybe working on the SOP would help?? 

Plus of course early submission of application. The earlier the better. 

Edited by SheeBella

1 hour ago, SheeBella said:

I think they put everything into consideration. I saw somewhere on their website that for the MPH applicants, work experience really matters. But again it goes on to say that evaluation is done depending on one's GPA, SOP, Work experience and references... 

I have a friend who was rejected in 2017, reapplied in 2018 with a stronger SOP and was accepted. So maybe working on the SOP would help?? 

Plus of course early submission of application. The earlier the better. 

I submitted on Oct 30, assuming it was pretty early.

my application stucked at Pre-screening for a while now and unfortunately i must make decision on whether or not accepting the post graduate course immediatly so I kinda give up the Master program at U of A.

anyways, good luck bc having a Master in Canada is a pretty big deal!

On 1/27/2020 at 2:37 PM, Meeha said:

Hi another 2020 applicant here! 

I also applied to U of A (health promotion online) and currently my status says decision pending.  The wait is killing me!! 

I have also applied to lakehead/brock/Uvic and Waterloo but I'm not sure if I will even get in this year. 

My profile :

GPA of 3.4 

Strong professional references but my academic one may not be so strong cause I failed to build a strong relationship with my professor and I also do have one year of experience in the field. 

I would think my letter of intent is fairly strong as well.

I'm also taking a stats course and hoping to get an A+ but despite this I'm not sure if I am a competitive applicant.

Can everyone else please share their profile? 

Hi. I know MPH students from U of A, the health promotion are the most competitive concentrations  they have 20 ish for 40 people. your gpa is ok,  but not strong