MPH 2020 Canada

Jill98

23 minutes ago, Meeha said:

I emailed UofA a few weeks ago and they said we should all recieve an update by April 1. I still  haven't heard back. Is it safe to assume I am going to be receiving a rejection letter anytime now? Are there others also waiting for a reply from them?

Same I to mailed them they said they will send out all decisions by April 1st I am also eagerly waiting and at the same time nervous too

24 minutes ago, Meeha said:

I emailed UofA a few weeks ago and they said we should all recieve an update by April 1. I still  haven't heard back. Is it safe to assume I am going to be receiving a rejection letter anytime now? Are there others also waiting for a reply from them?

I received two emails back when I inquired With UofA. One said April 1 and another by April 15. 

I accepted my offer to SFU this morning, ahh! It wasn't an easy decision. I then turned down UBC, UoA's Health Promo (on-campus) and Guelph's offers. Hopefully that gives others a chance for those schools in the next round.

If anyone has decided on SFU as well, please feel free to message me! Would love to chat with future cohort buddies :) 

Edited by Sekai

1 hour ago, vlp07 said:

I received two emails back when I inquired With UofA. One said April 1 and another by April 15. 

I don’t know what to think anymore. Maybe applicants to MPH Global Health were many and they had to go through the rigorous process of selecting few for admission. I’ll send a mail today.

4 minutes ago, Titania said:

I don’t know what to think anymore. Maybe applicants to MPH Global Health were many and they had to go through the rigorous process of selecting few for admission. I’ll send a mail today.

Good idea. Could you please share their response once you get one?

Hello everyone! I’m a domestic student and I’ve just received an offer of admission from SFU for the MPH!! I’m still undecided where to go - could any of you kindly give your input on why you’re choosing SFU over other universities? Thank you! 

3 hours ago, Sekai said:

I accepted my offer to SFU this morning, ahh! It wasn't an easy decision. I then turned down UBC, UoA's Health Promo (on-campus) and Guelph's offers. Hopefully that gives others a chance for those schools in the next round.

If anyone has decided on SFU as well, please feel free to message me! Would love to chat with future cohort buddies :) 

Hi!! Could you explain why you chose SFU over UBC?

5 minutes ago, xttr said:

Hello everyone! I’m a domestic student and I’ve just received an offer of admission from SFU for the MPH!! I’m still undecided where to go - could any of you kindly give your input on why you’re choosing SFU over other universities? Thank you! 

I am very strongly considering SFU over UofA because I dislike how the streams at UofA pigeon-hole you a little bit. If you know for sure that you want to go into epi, health promo, ect, then I think it's great. I personally want to get a more well-rounded degree that touches on all of the aspects of public health, so that I'm not pigeon-holed into one thing. I know that you can broaden your degree through options, but it still feels quite limiting to me.

Also, I've wanted to move to BC for the last five years, so this the perfect opportunity! Only thing holding me back from accepting the offer right now is COVID-19, since I am from Alberta. 

Both schools are great, and I know I'd have a wonderful experience at either one. SFU's program just feels like a better fit for what I want :) 

Edited by MPH_Hopeful_2020

3 hours ago, Sekai said:

Hey!! If I may ask what reasons did you choose SFU over UofA and UBC?

14 hours ago, MPH_Hopeful_2020 said:

Hi everyone, I was wondering what your take on moving during a pandemic for grad school is. I am trying to decide between SFU and UofA, and I'm from Edmonton. I want to move to Burnaby/Vancouver, and I think the SFU program is better suited for what I want. I'm having a lot of apprehension about moving during all of this though. Any perspective would be greatly appreciated :)

Hey!! Can I know why you’re considering the SFU program apart from wanting to move to BC?

17 hours ago, ruralbcgal said:

I also received an acceptance letter from SFU today! I am super excited! 

Now I just need to decide between SFU and UofA health policy and management program in the next two weeks. 

I am rejecting the UBC offer. So if you are on the waiting list, I hope you are sent an offer. 

Hello! Is there any reason you’re not considering UBC for your MPH? 

9 minutes ago, xttr said:

Hey!! Can I know why you’re considering the SFU program apart from wanting to move to BC?

Hey, basically I dislike how the streams at UofA pigeon-hole you a little bit. If you know for sure that you want to go into epi, health promo, ect, then I think it's great. I personally want to get a more broad degree that touches on all of the aspects of public health, so that I'm not pigeon-holed into one thing. I know that you can broaden your degree through options, but it still feels quite limiting to me. I just feel like the SFU program is a better fit for what I want out of my degree :) I'm also very interested in mental health and addictions, and BC does some really interesting public health work with those sorts of issues. But I'm super apprehensive about moving during such an uncertain time, so I'm really trying to weigh the pros and cons. 

9 minutes ago, MPH_Hopeful_2020 said:

Hey, basically I dislike how the streams at UofA pigeon-hole you a little bit. If you know for sure that you want to go into epi, health promo, ect, then I think it's great. I personally want to get a more broad degree that touches on all of the aspects of public health, so that I'm not pigeon-holed into one thing. I know that you can broaden your degree through options, but it still feels quite limiting to me. I just feel like the SFU program is a better fit for what I want out of my degree :) I'm also very interested in mental health and addictions, and BC does some really interesting public health work with those sorts of issues. But I'm super apprehensive about moving during such an uncertain time, so I'm really trying to weigh the pros and cons. 

Ah thank you!

28 minutes ago, xttr said:

Hello! Is there any reason you’re not considering UBC for your MPH? 

Hi! UBC was my third choice. I am interested in a career in health policy and have an interest in evaluation. The UBC program is very quantitative based, and although this would be beneficial for a career in evaluation, it would be not prepare me for an entry-level job into policy. I also don’t have a lot of quantitative experience and I didn’t want to take a chance with the program in the case that I found the focus on quantitative not very interesting or it is too difficult. 

I also found that the UBC program has limited courses focused on different areas of public health and I wouldn’t have the opportunity to gain a strong theoretical base in public health. 

Also, UBC does not have a capstone project requirement. I prefer a program that has a capstone because it will provide me with additional practical experience. 

23 minutes ago, ruralbcgal said:

Hi! UBC was my third choice. I am interested in a career in health policy and have an interest in evaluation. The UBC program is very quantitative based, and although this would be beneficial for a career in evaluation, it would be not prepare me for an entry-level job into policy. I also don’t have a lot of quantitative experience and I didn’t want to take a chance with the program in the case that I found the focus on quantitative not very interesting or it is too difficult. 

I also found that the UBC program has limited courses focused on different areas of public health and I wouldn’t have the opportunity to gain a strong theoretical base in public health. 

Also, UBC does not have a capstone project requirement. I prefer a program that has a capstone because it will provide me with additional practical experience. 

Thank you so much for your insights, really! It’ll definitely help me in making my decision as well. Sounds like SFU is the right fit for you!!

16 hours ago, MPH_Hopeful_2020 said:

Hi everyone, I was wondering what your take on moving during a pandemic for grad school is. I am trying to decide between SFU and UofA, and I'm from Edmonton. I want to move to Burnaby/Vancouver, and I think the SFU program is better suited for what I want. I'm having a lot of apprehension about moving during all of this though. Any perspective would be greatly appreciated :)

I'll be moving to Vancouver as well (assuming international flights are running by then haha) If you think the program is better suited, I wouldn't let it stop you and you're not alone!

Just now, glhw said:

I'll be moving to Vancouver as well (assuming international flights are running by then haha) If you think the program is better suited, I wouldn't let it stop you and you're not alone!

Ah, glad to know I won't be alone in that haha, I'm definitely leaning towards SFU. Where are you flying in from if you don't mind me asking?

22 minutes ago, MPH_Hopeful_2020 said:

Ah, glad to know I won't be alone in that haha, I'm definitely leaning towards SFU. Where are you flying in from if you don't mind me asking?

I'm currently living on a Pacific island!