MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

Just now, Googlyeyes said:

got it. I completely agree with the anti big $$$. didn't understand that from the post

Yeah maybe thats my own interpretation ?‍♀️

Going to MFA is a highly personal decision. And everyone will decide to go/not go for different reasons!
While some are here saying it was a regret, I have heard many others say its the best time of their life. 

And since applying absolutely sucks...waiting until this crisis passes can be very unattractive to those who have gotten in this year. 

Hoping that everyone finds what they are looking for.

2 hours ago, Googlyeyes said:

dood..... the fact that people keep assuming that people going into MFA have some sort of drive to "make it" makes me really hate the idea of getting an MFA. is this what all MFAs are like?? everyone is projecting their own self absorption and ego. some people love to make and talk about work and when else can you devote time to something you love.... like some of us are going to low res or affordable programs just to escape the world and be immersed in a passion. some of us have skillsets that are practical and employable outside of art. for example many students at Hunter also work at least part time. stop universalizing an experience of art-making that is only true for some people

I believe those people have good intentions but I agree with you that some projecting is going on... My impression is that a sizable portion of folks on this forum are gunning for fully funded programs that not only cost close to nothing but also pay somewhat livable stipends.

I guess I agree with the kernel of what they've been trying to convey, namely that a MFA isn't necessary for you to become an artist. We all already are. Again, my impression is that a fair portion of us have been been aware of this. My intention of getting such a degree (and I know many others who share my goal) is very much related to my desire to be a full-time faculty. Otherwise I wouldn't need a MFA degree.

On 4/13/2020 at 4:55 PM, Referableorc said:

Just received offer from NYU Studio Art! 

I also got into RISD D+M, Hunter combined media, and Goldsmiths MFA. The only thing I don’t like about Goldsmiths is that they force me to take one year per-master, which makes me feel very suspicious about the program. As there are tons of pre master programs aim for international students who aren’t local brits 

Hi, Referableorc, I wonder what will be your choice. I got into Risd Sculpture and Goldsmiths MFA as well.

19 hours ago, MIQI said:

I believe those people have good intentions but I agree with you that some projecting is going on... My impression is that a sizable portion of folks on this forum are gunning for fully funded programs that not only cost close to nothing but also pay somewhat livable stipends.

I guess I agree with the kernel of what they've been trying to convey, namely that a MFA isn't necessary for you to become an artist. We all already are. Again, my impression is that a fair portion of us have been been aware of this. My intention of getting such a degree (and I know many others who share my goal) is very much related to my desire to be a full-time faculty. Otherwise I wouldn't need a MFA degree.

good intentions for sure. but yeah...if they read the forum for this year they would have seen most people have pretty practical interests/concerns.

Hi Guys,

Does anyone here know anything about Georgia State Universities' MFA program, and/or specifically the painting department? I was accepted to the program, and I'm really excited about it, but before the pandemic, I planned to visit the school. Now that this isn't possible, I'm hoping to talk to anyone who is an alum, has heard about it's reputation, etc...

Thanks for sharing anything you can!

In case it's useful for anyone: I was accepted at SMFA, Goldsmiths MFA, ArtCenter, and GSU. I was rejected from Yale, Columbia, RISD.

7 hours ago, ssoml said:

Hi, Referableorc, I wonder what will be your choice. I got into Risd Sculpture and Goldsmiths MFA as well.

Hi. I am very sure Goldsmiths is now my first choice but I want to switch my program to MFA Computational Art. The tuition is much cheaper and I can learn creative coding which would be good for my practice. 

Edited by Referableorc

Accepted an offer from UC Riverside yesterday, fully funded plus an additional 2k added to my first year stipend as I had another very competitive offer. I was accepted off the waitlist at the very end of March.

For those of you who are looking for very good funding and applying again next year I would look into the program at University of Missouri Columbia. Their program is fully funded and has a very decent 16k + salary (living in Columbia is dirt cheap) and provides a lot of teaching experience. Especially good for photography.

3 hours ago, MFA Troll said:

"My intention of getting such a degree (and I know many others who share my goal) is very much related to my desire to be a full-time faculty."   mwahahaha

Your version of 'practicality' -hunter kids have jobs

Reality - hunter kids were laid off from their part-time side hustles. They are currently living with their folks in the suburbs scrambling to find subletters for their 1200$ "rooms" in shared lofts.

My suggestions for your 800$ deposit:

oatmeal, lentils, beans, rice, eggs, grains, nuts, produce, used clothing (wool/cashmere layered is exceptionally warm, look out for wool socks in thrift stores too)

Keep building your network online. I foresee many art departments shutting down, SFAI already bit the dust. There is a hiring freeze currently.  My friends who still work in academia (after a decade of adjuncting, now have semi-secure visiting professor positions) are creating free programing online. Rumor is all studio courses will be canceled in the fall.  My friends who are teaching online describe feeling like their teaching is inadequate and unfair to the students. Maybe reach out to the professors who are courting you and ask to join in on one of their zoom classes. 

Ugggggggggh . go away. stop externalizing your own issues onto people who are just trying to use this forum to share information. we are not babies we do not need a dad. go away

I am aware that Hunter students are struggling right now.  everyone is struggling right now. Like if you want to be a banker or work in tech just go do that. Or please start messaging people who are going to the $$$$ MFA programs. I know that arguing with trolls just eggs them on but please stop mansplaining. No one asked your opinion and in fact someone even made an account just to ask you to please stop sharing your opinion.

Edited by Googlyeyes

3 hours ago, MFA Troll said:

"My intention of getting such a degree (and I know many others who share my goal) is very much related to my desire to be a full-time faculty."   mwahahaha

Reality - hunter kids were laid off from their part-time side hustles. They are currently living with their folks in the suburbs scrambling to find subletters for their 1200$ "rooms" in shared lofts.

oatmeal, lentils, beans, rice, eggs, grains, nuts, produce, used clothing (wool/cashmere layered is exceptionally warm, look out for wool socks in thrift stores too)

Keep building your network online. I foresee many art departments shutting down, SFAI already bit the dust. There is a hiring freeze currently.  My friends who still work in academia (after a decade of adjuncting, now have semi-secure visiting professor positions) are creating free programing online. Rumor is all studio courses will be canceled in the fall.  My friends who are teaching online describe feeling like their teaching is inadequate and unfair to the students. Maybe reach out to the professors who are courting you and ask to join in on one of their zoom classes. 

who hurt you?

4 hours ago, MFA Troll said:

Look, I'm sorry for whatever happened in the intervening years between your MFA and now that makes you so resentful. Your patronizing is not welcome here. It is one thing to say that "it is exceedingly difficult (and will be even more so) to get a full-time job in art academia." That is just a fact. It is another thing to mock aspirations to do so. 

current painter at columbia mfa, class of 2020
Congrats to those who got in this year - wahoo!!!
And those in the application process, man, i do not miss those days!! so much respect to all of you for applying and going through it for your dreams!!! 
@ those coming to Columbia -- tbh, If I were you, I'd come in Fall 2021, not this fall -- it's going to be a shit show this fall with school not knowing how to handle virus and plans. 
That being said, I did not log on here to shit on columbia.
Actually - I am here to say THIS IS THE BEST SCHOOL, and it changed my life completely, I am so grateful to have put my $ here to become a better artist.  AND a lot of us had the best time of our lives!!!  Amazing professors, amazing critics.  If you got in, come!!! Come in 2021, if you come this fall it may be a bit rocky, but still, COME!!! 
Faculty loves us, administration is the shit show, faculty are wonderful and all love. you will grow!!  
Sucks that we got facked over by the virus, but who isn't messed up by the virus right now?  Gotta adapt and make-do. 

DM me on IG @susanmbchen if you have concerns/questions!! 
Rock on!!! 

Accepted to Rutgers earlier today after being put on the waitlist, for anyone still waiting to hear back... sort of took me by surprise as I was nearly about ready to accept Bard's offer. Maybe a little less sure about Bard now..

Anyway, just an update for y'all. 

xoxo

Really enjoying some of the recent discussions on here ya'll.

My favorite so far is:

a: "Who hurt you?"

B: "The ruling class"

This is art^

Anyway. I for one am going to start an MFA program in the fall, whatever that looks like. I'm attending a fully funded program, and I'm ready for this adventure. Maybe i'm going to make art in my apartment while taking zoom classes?? Who knows. Welcome to the Quarantine Cannon.

Just want to remind everyone we are all humans doing the best we can. If you go to school this fall, expect joy and pain. If you don't, expect joy and pain.

to quote @honghong

"Know that art, like life, will bring you to your knees. In humility, in sadness, in awe. Be courageous. Existence requires that of you, no matter what you do. "

ps, here are my stats:

University South Florida: accepted, offer declined today

Cranbrook: accepted, offer declined today

Purchase: Accepted, offer declined today

Syracuse: Accepted, offer declined today

University of Texas at Austin: accepted off waitlist, accepted their offer yesterday

CMU- rejected

Northwestern- rejected

RISD- Rejected

Yale- rejected

In GradCafe we trust

xo

13 hours ago, SpillToBuilt said:

@moon_whale The MFA is really helpful if you want to better conceptualize your artistic practice/teach art. Otherwise it is not very useful. I am curious why you are now “anti-MFA?” 

I am using anti-mfa as a username on instagram, but I am aware of the nuances as to why someone would go for the MFA such as if you desire to teach at the college level. Although you can still teach at private schools without an MFA degree. I've done two rounds of applications and was accepted into an MFA program and declined for personal and financial reasons. I have an idea of creating an online space that supports artists in a similar way, connecting artists with each-other to provide feedback on work, online shows, etcetera, for free. In essence- giving artists the assistance in conceptualizing your practice, for free! I think people need to start questioning this "all-or-nothing" approach, and why we can't accept artists that don't have the Master's title? And why we shouldn't expect artists- who come from different backgrounds- to be able to shell out the same thousands of dollars in order to prove their "commitment" and seriousness as artists. 

9 hours ago, Pickle95 said:

Accepted to Rutgers earlier today after being put on the waitlist, for anyone still waiting to hear back... sort of took me by surprise as I was nearly about ready to accept Bard's offer. Maybe a little less sure about Bard now..

Anyway, just an update for y'all. 

xoxo

It is hard to be sure about Bard rn. Will you defer Bard if you choose them? I said yes to Bard a couple days ago and now just deciding if I should defer. 

congrats on Rutgers, seems like an amazing program. 

Edited by Googlyeyes

1 hour ago, Googlyeyes said:

It is hard to be sure about Bard rn. Will you defer Bard if you choose them? I said yes to Bard a couple days ago and now just deciding if I should defer. 

congrats on Rutgers, seems like an amazing program. 

I was sort of under the impression that Bard was basically trying to postpone this summers session until next summer, at least that's what I was told via email. I'm going to wait until that zoom meeting to make any decisions. 

Thanks about Rutgers. Now that it is an option I'm thinking that financially it makes more sense for me. I'm also second guessing whether or not a low res program would be more beneficial or not. I don't necessarily feel that I have strenuous responsibilities at the moment that would stop me from moving somewhere (potentially) in the fall. But of course if Bard does in fact postpone this summer it would also help greatly. 

Lol I'm suddenly a little all over the place. We'll see what happens.   

47 minutes ago, Pickle95 said:

I was sort of under the impression that Bard was basically trying to postpone this summers session until next summer, at least that's what I was told via email. I'm going to wait until that zoom meeting to make any decisions. 

Thanks about Rutgers. Now that it is an option I'm thinking that financially it makes more sense for me. I'm also second guessing whether or not a low res program would be more beneficial or not. I don't necessarily feel that I have strenuous responsibilities at the moment that would stop me from moving somewhere (potentially) in the fall. But of course if Bard does in fact postpone this summer it would also help greatly. 

Lol I'm suddenly a little all over the place. We'll see what happens.   

last that I heard...they were trying to hold session in the winter for a reduced price? but it really seems like a lot is up in the air??? thank you for letting me know the info that you know!

are new students also invited to the zoom meeting? my department (photo) has only had 2nd and 3rd years in the zoom meetings. 

I found it super helpful to speak with current students to make my decision (between hunter and bard) at the same time ...bard and hunter both cost money vs. rutgers is free. I would have a hard time making that decision.

40 minutes ago, MFA Troll said:

It's very interesting to me how folks here responded to my call for solidarity by attaching me as an individual, rationalizing their own MFA schemas by imagining that I'm just some bitter interloper. I'm here to preach about class consciousness, because I LOVE artists. When I finally shed my false consciousness I became extremely empowered as an artist and I want that for you all. I also believe that at this point in history we need artists to help transform society. Art schools prey on youth.  Charismatic narcissists charm potential radicals into the cult of individualism. Adam Curtis lays this out in the beginning of this doc. I don't think using Martha Rosler to illustrate this makes much sense, but this is what I mean when critique art schools for creating class traitors. The only way to affect change is through collective action. There's no time to waste.  

BOB AVAKIAN ARE YOU ON THE MFA FORUM????

also....making fun of people for their dreams is not a show of love or solidarity. 

Edited by Googlyeyes

10 hours ago, MFA Troll said:

It's very interesting to me how folks here responded to my call for solidarity by attaching me as an individual, rationalizing their own MFA schemas by imagining that I'm just some bitter interloper. I'm here to preach about class consciousness, because I LOVE artists. When I finally shed my false consciousness I became extremely empowered as an artist and I want that for you all. I also believe that at this point in history we need artists to help transform society. Art schools prey on youth.  Charismatic narcissists charm potential radicals into the cult of individualism. Adam Curtis lays this out in the beginning of this doc. I don't think using Martha Rosler to illustrate this makes much sense, but this is what I mean when critique art schools for creating class traitors. The only way to affect change is through collective action. There's no time to waste.  

asking in earnest--what are you doing right now to transform society? (other than trolling this forum). besides abandoning the cult of academia or whatever, what kind of practical collective action do you suggest artists engage in? should we drop our paintbrushes, band together and go burn down some banks? alright i wrote that last sentence in jest but it doesn't sound bad upon second reading...

i've lived abroad for the last few years making paintings alone in a shack by the sea, and i'm from a hinterland city in canada with a tiny art scene, so the ego and money-driven NYC art thing is foreign to me... but i also have zero desire to go to the US and play that game, i guess for essentially the same reasons you mention. i just want to make paintings, and a funded MFA seems the best way to do that. i think there is value in spending time developing my craft and trying to produce something that might be resonant with others, even though whatever benefit art might provide is abstract and impossible to quantify. do you think it's ethically irresponsible in this global context to want to pursue any kind of higher studies and we should focus our efforts only on organizing? 

18 hours ago, MFA Troll said:

Do you know your so called solidarity, class struggle, and collective action are part of the mandatory political education in mainland China? Look how competitive and suppressive China is.  Besides, asking artists to transform society is nothing new, as Soviet Union used to call artists “the engineers of society” see what kind of socialistrealismus Ideological propaganda they were making? 

I don’t think  you understand art at all even though you claimed to be in academia.(academia is a battlefield anyway) Art(visual, literature, music) gives you opportunities to become another person to travel into another world through empathy and understanding. It kills your ego and it makes you a better human being with less anger and violence.

If you believe art is an instrument for political power then you will be very disappointed. Don’t be people who love art criticism more than art itself, or you’ll be like the critics in Bolaño’s 2666, chasing a ghost of the past. 

4 hours ago, Referableorc said:

Do you know your so called solidarity, class struggle, and collective action are part of the mandatory political education in mainland China? Look how competitive and suppressive China is.  Besides, asking artists to transform society is nothing new, as Soviet Union used to call artists “the engineers of society” see what kind of socialistrealismus Ideological propaganda they were making? 

I don’t think  you understand art at all even though you claimed to be in academia.(academia is a battlefield anyway) Art(visual, literature, music) gives you opportunities to become another person to travel into another world through empathy and understanding. It kills your ego and it makes you a better human being with less anger and violence.

If you believe art is an instrument for political power then you will be very disappointed. Don’t be people who love art criticism more than art itself, or you’ll be like the critics in Bolaño’s 2666, chasing a ghost of the past. 

I like doing political art and mixing up art criticism w/ my conceptual practices :D