Jump to content
hinata

MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

Recommended Posts

So I've been lurking on here for a few weeks, and I noticed there isn't a new freak out forum!

I primarily make work in photography. I received my BA in film production in 2018, and now I'm looking for a Photography MFA. I'm doing my best to find full funding as I don't have parents/money/etc. 

Here are my top schools I would like to apply/attend:

University of South Florida

The University of Texas at Austin

Georgia State University

University of Georgia
 
(Other choices: Iowa, U of M, UNC Chapel Hill, OSU)
 
If anyone knows anything about those four tops school, I would be grateful to know more!
 
~*FREAK OUT*~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!!

I don't know anything about those schools, sorry..

I'm looking for painting/drawing MFA programs with good funding, whose faculty work I really jive with. Still working on narrowing down the list!

Would love any input/review of my portfolio.. I work mostly in colored pencil and gouache, most recent work (as in last week, and not on website yet, includes gold leaf.) Not sure how that medium combination will go over with schools, hoping to get more input @ NPD.  

Background for my art: I'm primarily a formalist when it comes to thinking.. Topically I get really excited about connections between art and science.

My portfolio

 

Edited by WigglyGoldfish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also got my undergraduate (BFA) in film production (in 2012) and am now working on finishing up my applications for an MFA focusing in photography. I'm a bit older than the average applicant I would assume...31.

certainly in freak out mode. Looking for a fully funded program like many others.

any helpful information appreciated. currently living in San Francisco but looking into schools in the south because that is where I would like to work.

California Schools: UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Irvine, CCA (too expensive)

Southern Schools: Tulane, UGA, University of Arkansas

 

I think UCLA and UCBerk are pointless long shots, but they are such great in-state schools ill try my luck.

website/work: www.austonmarek.com

Edited by greenflips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're considering U of Iowa, I'd highly recommend it. The faculty are talented, knowledgeable and very involved. The facilities are solid. More than anything, I'm impressed by the other grad students - there's a real sense of community and an impressive work ethic. My peers are supportive, but challenging and really engaged in each other's work, while really pushing things in their own practice. It's a really good environment to make work in and take risks in.

Also, the program is fully funded. Grads (typically) get TAships that involves teaching 1 class per semester, which cover the cost of tuition, health insurance and a ~$9k stipend per academic year. There's the possibility of teaching more than 1 class and increasing the stipend accordingly.

Let me know if you have questions, I'd be happy to say a little more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been narrowing my list as well. I got my undergraduate degree in visual arts (concentration in photography) in 2015. Went back for a MAT degree to teach and now I feel ready to apply to MFA programs. My interest is only in low residency interdisciplinary programs. So far I have these programs in mind:

Jacksonville University

Wilson College

MassArt

Sierra Nevada College

Goddard 

 

The Freakout is a bit quiet this year. Maybe it’s still early?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, I'm thinking about applying to Yale + others for graphic design in the future, but I'm wondering if applying multiple consecutive years affects an application? At the moment I'm trying to get my chops up so I'm curious if it's worth applying, or saving it for later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was waiting to see if this thread got more activity, excited that it is! I am currently in my senior year of undergrad working toward a BFA in Painting and Drawing, but I mostly work in combined media and installation. I am trying to figure out if this is the right time for me to apply, or if I should take some time off to solidify my practice outside of an academic setting. However, I am still going to give it a shot for the Fall semester. 

I make installations that use personal and found domestic items - linens, clothing, furniture and food ingredients. Thematically, I focus on family histories and how they fit into a broader context of history, usually erased histories. My practice and research come together through a process of altering the surfaces of objects I did not make in order to reinvent them or give them a new meaning. (I am also in the process of writing my personal statement, so I am sorry if this makes 0 sense). 

I am including a list of schools that I am interested in applying to, but I am definitely going to cut it down to 2-3 schools:

- UNM Albuquerque 

-Virginia Commonwealth University

-Yale

-Hunter College

-Tulane

-Bard

-Columbia

-SVA

If anyone knows something about these schools, or knows someone that attended, lmk.

I'll post my portfolio as soon as that is a thing that exists in one place. Good luck to everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JAPA

I think this has been discussed in previous years but the general ...rumor... with Yale and Bard, is that they will not accept someone straight out of undergrad except for in exceptional circumstances. Basically, it is super rare. The average age at Bard is 27. I'm not sure what the average age is at Yale but I've never heard of someone going straight through to Yale. You should ask around of course as this is just what I have heard. I do think I remember looking at Yale Painting student's C.V.s and seeing a couple who went straight through. 

Of course, if you took time off before undergrad, working etc. then this is a different situation but you need to make that clear in your personal statement. 

I was an undergrad at Columbia and I would not recommend Columbia MFA. The grad students seem pretty unhappy and everyone is competing and obsessed with the industry. I've also found the big shots in the departments to favor men. I've been friends with a lot of Columbia MFAs over the years and they complain about the program all the time. Also, the program is super expensive. Just my opinion.

Edited by nevermind777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I find myself about ready to extend my education further, I'm 31 now, with a little bit of work done over the last 5 or so years. I'm looking to applying at the following schools,

 

UCLA

UCSB

Yale

Rutgers

 

I'd love to see everyone's progress through this year long trip, wish the best for all of y'all :)

Also I'd love to hear of any more recommendations, I'm looking to leaving the South and experiencing more of the country, I'd love to talk to anyone that thinks my work would be a good fit somewhere. :)

www.marcoshdez.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2019 at 9:47 AM, hinata said:

So I've been lurking on here for a few weeks, and I noticed there isn't a new freak out forum!

I primarily make work in photography. I received my BA in film production in 2018, and now I'm looking for a Photography MFA. I'm doing my best to find full funding as I don't have parents/money/etc. 

Here are my top schools I would like to apply/attend:

University of South Florida

The University of Texas at Austin

Georgia State University

University of Georgia
 
(Other choices: Iowa, U of M, UNC Chapel Hill, OSU)
 
If anyone knows anything about those four tops school, I would be grateful to know more!
 
~*FREAK OUT*~

Lots more programs with full/significant funding. Definitely do a broader search if funding is a priority. 

On 10/15/2019 at 2:06 PM, greenflips said:

I also got my undergraduate (BFA) in film production (in 2012) and am now working on finishing up my applications for an MFA focusing in photography. I'm a bit older than the average applicant I would assume...31.

certainly in freak out mode. Looking for a fully funded program like many others.

any helpful information appreciated. currently living in San Francisco but looking into schools in the south because that is where I would like to work.

California Schools: UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Irvine, CCA (too expensive)

Southern Schools: Tulane, UGA, University of Arkansas

 

I think UCLA and UCBerk are pointless long shots, but they are such great in-state schools ill try my luck.

website/work: www.austonmarek.com

Most people in my program are around 30, and I would expect that to be similar elsewhere. We do have a few people ranging from 40-50 as well. 

On 10/19/2019 at 11:35 PM, aosd said:

Hi all, I'm thinking about applying to Yale + others for graphic design in the future, but I'm wondering if applying multiple consecutive years affects an application? At the moment I'm trying to get my chops up so I'm curious if it's worth applying, or saving it for later.

I remember seeing somewhere on Yale’s site that if you are not accepted after three tries, that you should not apply again. I would look at current students in the program and see how you compare. Also look at what previous grads are doing now and if that exemplifies your goals/appears worth the time and financial commitment. 

On 10/22/2019 at 12:10 AM, JAPA said:

I was waiting to see if this thread got more activity, excited that it is! I am currently in my senior year of undergrad working toward a BFA in Painting and Drawing, but I mostly work in combined media and installation. I am trying to figure out if this is the right time for me to apply, or if I should take some time off to solidify my practice outside of an academic setting. However, I am still going to give it a shot for the Fall semester. 

I make installations that use personal and found domestic items - linens, clothing, furniture and food ingredients. Thematically, I focus on family histories and how they fit into a broader context of history, usually erased histories. My practice and research come together through a process of altering the surfaces of objects I did not make in order to reinvent them or give them a new meaning. (I am also in the process of writing my personal statement, so I am sorry if this makes 0 sense). 

I am including a list of schools that I am interested in applying to, but I am definitely going to cut it down to 2-3 schools:

- UNM Albuquerque 

-Virginia Commonwealth University

-Yale

-Hunter College

-Tulane

-Bard

-Columbia

-SVA

If anyone knows something about these schools, or knows someone that attended, lmk.

I'll post my portfolio as soon as that is a thing that exists in one place. Good luck to everyone!

The general consensus is to wait at least a year after undergrad before trying to start an MFA. I would think this is especially accurate with big name schools. If I remember correctly, Yale even explicitly states that they prefer applicants not straight out of undergrad. This would be worth looking into before applying.

Personally, I waited a year before applying. I would have waited longer too, but a previous professor of mine suggested I apply. I am glad I took the time off. I couldn’t imagine going right into an MFA program out of undergrad. Working on your own is a great experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, EastCoastPhoto said:

Lots more programs with full/significant funding. Definitely do a broader search if funding is a priority. 

 

What programs might you suggest?

Edited by hinata

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey! This forum was a big help for me when trying to decide on grad schools a couple of years ago. Fast forward to now and I'm currently in my second yr at Georgia State in the MFA photo dept. I wasn't really sure what to expect going in..but I can say now that it's a pretty underrated program. We receive a full-tuition waiver every semester which is huge, and a monthly stipend, and there have been other funding opportunities presented to me as well (awards/supplemental funding I applied for). We also get to teach if we want to. The program itself is moving in a more interdisciplinary direction it seems, and faculty are really supportive and open of us working across different mediums/taking whatever electives will be beneficial to us. I will have taken at least 4 film/video classes before I graduate..which I wasn't anticipating at all but that's the direction my practice is moving in so I'm happy I've been able to dig in...and make connections with the Film professors here. I also have come to really love Atlanta and its art community. The environment here (GSU's MFA program and Atlanta in general) has never felt overly competitive or pretentious, it has felt really nurturing and supportive actually, and I moved here knowing no one and never having been to the South before. The program is academically rigorous though (we are required to take more art history & graduate seminar courses than the average MFA program but it feels worth it..and I've become much more articulate of a person in general because of it.

Below is a screenshot of our MFA poster/ visiting artist list in case anyone is interested.I'd be happy to answer any questions!

Edited by ChippedNails92

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 9:27 AM, hinata said:

What programs might you suggest?

Anything fully funded, preferably with a healthy stipend, that is also near where you want to work after school. But working with the right people may certainly be worth a little less funding/stipend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, EastCoastPhoto said:

Anything fully funded, preferably with a healthy stipend, that is also near where you want to work after school. But working with the right people may certainly be worth a little less funding/stipend.

I understand that - but it sounds like you know of some names of schools that have this healthy stipend. All of the schools I'm looking at are fully funded, but I would ideally like stipends that are something over 15,000 - 20,000+ a year. Plus I'm looking for more interdisciplinary photo programs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cu Boulder isn't advertised well but they've got great facilities and most departments have full funding plus a stipend.  You're given a class to be the instructor of record, so you've got very little oversight teaching and can design your class as you wish. The current stipend is around 2200 a month plus full tuition remission. Plus you get gold health insurance, bus passes (which are good for the bus to Denver as well) and family and faculty housing is available and pretty decent.  I was amazed more people don't know about this program. I actually found out about randomly.  Boulder is super nice and has access to all the art activities you can desire in Denver and obviously tons of outdoor opportunities. It is a 2.5 to 3 year program depending on the department. Nice woodshop, CNC machine, metal shop, great printmaking facilities, strong in painting, and sculpture, and is highly ranked in Ceramics, private studios in a well ventilated building,.  They usually take 2 to 3 people in each department every year. I think applications are due in Dec, but check the website for more details. 

 

Downsides is that Boulder is pretty expensive to live in, but if you're rooming with others you can find a place for around 800 a month. A single in student housing runs around 1250 a month. The school tends to be quite conceptual, however if you take a glimpse at the website you'll see that students make a lot of different work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hinata said:

I understand that - but it sounds like you know of some names of schools that have this healthy stipend. All of the schools I'm looking at are fully funded, but I would ideally like stipends that are something over 15,000 - 20,000+ a year. Plus I'm looking for more interdisciplinary photo programs.

I suggest searching “fully funded mfa visual arts” in your search engine of choice—there are already multiple lists with tons of schools.

What do you mean by interdisciplinary photo programs? An interdisciplinary MFA program refers to artists working with different mediums within the same program, whereas an MFA Photo program would be only photography (or sometimes video too). 

Edited by EastCoastPhoto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What up people.  I was accepted to the University of Maryland's MFA program last go around and have been there for the better part of 1 semester. 

Pros:

$18,000 total stipend with fellowship, TUITION IS FREE!!! Cool folks in the cohort right now, 10 total for all three years.

 

Cons:

this part of the united states sucks ass, but also that could just be my perspective.  You need a car if u wanna hit up Baltimore...DC seems hella stiff. Rent is about 650-1000 a month out here

As a brown dude from Texas I'm real disappointed with the lack of diversity in the program, it's just me n another grad out of 10 who are POC.  Also I've had some wack interactions with 2 faculty, that said there are some dope ass faculty and humans here.  

That said...if youre committed to ur studio practice and have a good self care routine, you'll do good out here.  Feel free to reach out if u have any questions 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TheRealHankHill I’m trying to figure out if your program’s extra year is a good or bad thing. I do enjoy the crazy pace of the two-year program I am in, but an extra year of stipend, mentorship, and cohort camaraderie sounds damn good as well. My program legitimately feels like fine art boot camp, in a spectacular way, and with less yelling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey folks! Is anyone else thinking about programs outside of the U.S.? Particularly Royal College of Art (London)... would love to know if anyone's heard about interviews from the first round of applications?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.