MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

On 1/20/2020 at 10:00 PM, pollypocket said:

Hi, Just wondering if people could speak on Cranbrook? What are your issues with the program? I applied to CMU, northwestern, RISD, Cranbrook, Utexas, Yale, and some backup schools. I really am hoping to get in for 2020, as my art practice just needs to be nurtured, mostly by time and skill acquisition. Cranbrook isa school I was on the fence on because it seems like its not going to be well funded. What do you think?

Hi, Pollypocket! I didn't have any issues at all with Cranbrook! Cranbrook is a great school. The reason I didn't end up going to Cranbrook was because I was excepted to multiple really good schools, and it was a very difficult decision, but you can only go to one school! As far as funding goes, Cranbrook is probably somewhere in the middle of the schools you are applying to, with Cranbrook's tuition probably being more than Northwestern, but far less than RISD. Cranbrook does award some scholarships. I'd say Cranbrook is worth strong consideration for anyone.

I know a lot of people who have had great experiences at Cranbrook in all media -- painting, sculpture, ceramics, print media, graphic design, etc, they're all good. I work in new media (AR,VR, AI, video projection, code, electronics, etc) so I applied in their 4D Design program which is AMAZING.

Cranbrook has one of the later application deadlines -- it's still open, their deadline is Feb. 1 -- so it's still an option for people who might want to send in one more application!

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

2 hours ago, yungcoconut said:

Hunter's Spring 2020 class is only 4 students, which might be an indication of how many they will accept during this round of interviews. They accepted 13 in Fall 2019 for a total of 17 in the 2019-2020 school year. They're either being much more selective or are not receiving as many applications. Best of luck to those waiting for interviews!

Thanks so much! That is very helpful info. 

On 1/24/2020 at 2:38 PM, hht said:

For anyone waiting on Carnegie Mellon interviews, I received a request yesterday.

Congrats! May I ask when the interview is? I really like cmu and have been anxiously waiting ?They seem to conduct interviews in early Feb judging from past years.

3 hours ago, MIQI said:

Congrats! May I ask when the interview is? I really like cmu and have been anxiously waiting ?They seem to conduct interviews in early Feb judging from past years.

Thanks MIQI :) There were two dates offered to me, Feb 8th and 9th. 

I feel you on the anxiously waiting! I'm pretty sure I've missed out on an interview for my  #1 - even though I had one last year. Not meant to be I guess (but really want it to  be :)

Edited by hht
typo

Interviewing at U Chicago Feb 14, and was just notified this morning of Oxford (Ruskin MFA) Skype interview for next Thurs. Still waiting on SAIC FVNMA (from what I've read they should notify by this Friday), Goldsmiths Fine Art, Glasgow MFA, and Piet Zwart. Oxford and Chicago are my top two, so hoping these go well... I'd greatly appreciate advice on any of these schools!

Also, for us time-based people who apply with traceable materials via Vimeo and such... Let's not drive ourselves nuts checking analytics multiple times every day! Vimeo analytics never seem super accurate in my experience, anyway. And if they are accurate... who knows, maybe faculty only need to watch 19% of your excerpts to know you're perfect for their program ?

2 minutes ago, MYJ2020 said:

I’ve seen people receiving interviews from schools I also applied but heard nothing yet...not even rejection...Should I email and ask them? Don’t they usually send rejection and interview notifications at the same time? ?

Seems like different departments at the same school are frequently on different timelines... I would wait another week or two before worrying!

On 1/26/2020 at 10:52 AM, NickHobbs said:

Awesome!! Which list?

On 1/26/2020 at 3:12 PM, MIQI said:

I went digging and found this list in the 2018 freak out forum I think. Not sure if it's the same one. Hope it helps! Good luck

Common Questions Visual Arts Applicants are Asked During an Interview

How does your work fit in with the contemporary art world/scene?

Why do you want to go to XXXXX?

Why do you want to go to grad school? Why now?

What resources of this program will be the biggest benefit to your development as an artist?

What is your work about?

What are your influences?

What for you constitutes a good work of art?

What draws you to a piece of work?

What motivates your work?

Who are your main influences?

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

What do you think is a good critique of your work/bad critique?

Why/how did you choose the people who wrote letters for you?

How will you contribute to this program?

What do you do for fun?

What artists do you like? (you can have a list prepared)

What artists who are no longer living influence you?

What book are you reading right now? What do you think about it?

What are you working on right now?

Please explain this work (xxxx03.jpg)

What is your favorite piece of art? Why? (Title, artist, year)

Can you describe yourself, such as personal habit, etc.

Do you get along well with others?

What would you bring to a group dynamic ?

What can you offer this program? Any special skills?

What do you think is a good way of critiquing? a bad way?

What other aspects of culture influence your work besides art/art history?

How do you see yourself taking advantage of this school’s environment/program?

What exhibition have you been to in the last year?

What have you done since you’ve graduated?

What contemporary artists are you into, and why?

Tell us about the conceptual underpinnings of your work?

Talk about your process.

What do you think about *this essay*? (related to your work)

How is your work related to *this movement*?

Do you have any questions for us?

What do you think about (artist, movement, subject/topic)

What can't you stand? Why?

What do you think about your own work?

How do you want your work to develop?

Why are you making the work you're making, and why do you want to keep doing it?

Meaning behind your subject matter?

So you've written a good amount about your practice in your statement...can you expand a little more?

What was the last show you saw that had a profound effect on you?

Ideas for Questions to Ask During Your Interview

What's the degree of permeability between the department's different studio areas?

What do the teaching assistantship duties generally consist of?

Will I be assisting a professor, or will I be teaching my own class?

Have recent alumni stayed in the area or ventured elsewhere? 

What is the grad student to faculty ratio? 

Ask for more information about particular courses in the curriculum.

Other Tips

Be able to speak about the professors work and why you are influenced by it. 

Write a follow up Thank you email within 48 hours after your interview.

Hi yes sorry this is the list! Some of the interview questions I got asked were hybrids of these questions but I just felt overall better put together after preparing answers to some of these. 

Just now, MYJ2020 said:

I’ve seen people receiving interviews from schools I also applied but heard nothing yet...not even rejection...Should I email and ask them? Don’t they usually send rejection and interview notifications at the same time? ?

I'm no professor, but short answer no. 

A lot of times schools don't send it out at the same time, each department may send it out at different times.  Secondly a school might not have notified you yet, because they might be keeping you on a waitlist. Nothing wrong in emailing and checking that the application process is going well, but I would suggest that they'll let you know soon enough what they're thinking 

23 hours ago, NickHobbs said:

Me trying to negotiate with these grad schools in a month or two:

94B0ECF9-6591-47F5-98B4-2F9768867F70.jpeg

Real talk, can anyone talk about the process of; when you have offers, what they usually contain ( financial package, deadline to answer by?) and what is Kosher in terms of financial negotiation? How have people handled this process before, what can we expect? I've heard negotiation is expected?

Thank you!!!

Edited by pollypocket

9 minutes ago, NickHobbs said:

Seems like different departments at the same school are frequently on different timelines... I would wait another week or two before worrying!

6 minutes ago, Rtwoneday said:

I'm no professor, but short answer no. 

A lot of times schools don't send it out at the same time, each department may send it out at different times.  Secondly a school might not have notified you yet, because they might be keeping you on a waitlist. Nothing wrong in emailing and checking that the application process is going well, but I would suggest that they'll let you know soon enough what they're thinking 

Ok, thank you!

good luck to everyone...

I didn't volunteer this information earlier because I haven't seen people applying to these schools on this thread, but I've interviewed with UTK and U of Minnesota in the past couple of days. I was surprised about the Minnesota interview cuz I thought they typically don't interview at all.

Freaking out and trying hard not to now that it's late Jan... Good luck to everyone!!

8 minutes ago, MYJ2020 said:

Ok, thank you!

good luck to everyone...

Short answer is no, but if for any reason some of your materials were cross-uploaded or not submitted right, I would check to see if you were actually getting reviewed - preferably by the application deadline. I am saying this because a school actually did accidentally mark my application as incomplete in a year where I was getting interviews from more selective schools. My recommender was very surprised to hear this and contacted the chair at said school, who told her that my application was marked as incomplete and that was why it was not reviewed. (I never got my application fee back). I eventually got an offer but by then I felt pretty dejected. So now I am applying again. 

38 minutes ago, pollypocket said:

Real talk, can anyone talk about the process of; when you have offers, what they usually contain ( financial package, deadline to answer by?) and what is Kosher in terms of financial negotiation? How have people handled this process before, what can we expect? I've heard negotiation is expected?

Thank you!!!

Many schools abide by the April 15th deadline for acceptance if I remember correctly. You should be notified of any tuition and/or stipend benefits, and what any stipend would be in exchange for. I am open for negotiation as long as you are doing it tactfully; it also helps if you actually have something to leverage, such as a better offer elsewhere. 

Edited by SpillToBuilt

2 hours ago, MIQI said:

I didn't volunteer this information earlier because I haven't seen people applying to these schools on this thread, but I've interviewed with UTK and U of Minnesota in the past couple of days. I was surprised about the Minnesota interview cuz I thought they typically don't interview at all.

Freaking out and trying hard not to now that it's late Jan... Good luck to everyone!!

Hi MIQI, can I ask what your experience was like for your UTK interview? Interviewing with them tomorrow evening and it will be my first graduate interview. Congrats on getting those interviews :) 

7 minutes ago, neel_jung said:

Hi MIQI, can I ask what your experience was like for your UTK interview? Interviewing with them tomorrow evening and it will be my first graduate interview. Congrats on getting those interviews :)

Hi! Which department are you applying to? The experience may vary if the department is different. Mine was quite chill, lasted for 20 minutes as expected. They asked me to talk about a piece of work in the portfolio of my choosing, what artists/exhibitions am I looking at, why UTK, etc. All standard questions.

It was my first interview too and I was nervous, but if you come prepared you'll be fine!! Good luck.