MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

42 minutes ago, NickHobbs said:

Hello! My name is Nick. I just discovered this community and I'd like to participate in sharing information.

You can see my work at: www.nickhobbs.art

I applied for the painting programs at:

- Tyler School of Art (Invited for interview)

- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts

- New York Academy of Art

- Virginia Commonwealth University

- School of the Art Institute of Chicago

- University of N.C. Chapel Hill

- University of Arkansas

- University of Mississippi

No word yet from any of the schools except Tyler. Good luck everyone!

When did you hear from Tyler? 

19 minutes ago, yuomisota said:

Did anyone apply to Stanford's MFA program in Art Practice? I know they interview in February and am anxiously waiting to see if I'll get a call/email for an interview. Any leads would be much appreciated! I only applied to Stanford--I couldn't really afford to apply elsewhere, so I might as well aim for the stars!

Hi, I applied to Stanford too. No leads though, sorry :) Haven't heard from them

4 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Anyone know whether the Yale Interdiscliplinary program is built mostly for film/video artists or also for folks who mix up photography/sculpture or installation work?

I checked their site. It looks like there is no interdisciplinary program MFA. Or is that not what you meant? That section of the site only talks about certain courses that they offer, specifically in video. 

Edited by SpillToBuilt

5 hours ago, joethebridge said:

Just heard from SVA for an interview on Jan 28th! It will be my first interview for application to MFA so kinda nervous rn...

And also, is there anyone has heard back from Bard/Yale/Hunter/RISD/Columbia? 

Based on the MFA Freak Out forums from the past couple years, I think Hunter usually sends out a first wave of rejection emails sometime between February 5th and 10th, and then they send out interview requests sometime between February 10th and 15th. I think interviews are conducted in early March. (I also read in the forum from a couple years back that, if you are asked to interview, they might ask you to bring printouts of your submitted portfolio (8 x 10" max), and an optional additional 10 printouts of artwork you've made in recent months.)

Edited by Killerdonuts

Hey. I'm Akeylah. I'd like to trade experiences and knowledge with everyone. Anyone. It'd be nice to make friends as well!

I'm a sculpture lady. You can find my work at aiwellington.com.

I applied to five schools: 

University of Arkansas 

University of Michigan

Ohio State University 

Virginia Commonwealth University 

Yale (why not?) 

I got accepted into OSU and am just curious about word from other schools.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:59 PM, nevermind777 said:

I've heard from faculty at my school that Yale's pedagogical model tends to be very top down. Especially in the photography department the reputation is that they prefer to destroy their students and then build them back up. Someone who was accepted into the photo department at Yale started working in drawings and they asked them to leave. I have heard that Yale painting has started to be better ...for example, they just hired Meleko Mokgosi who doesn't really work in a top-down pedagogical model (or so I've heard). The rumor is that many yale students graduate and it takes years for them to make work again after being so demoralized. 

Meleko was my undergraduate advisor when I was at NYU Gallatin! He is very thoughtful and radical in his pedagogy and had a huge impact on my experience. It's been hard to stay in touch with him since graduating, but I really enjoyed working with and learning from him. 

Invited for a Skype interview with University of Arkansas next week. I picked Drawing as my first choice of concentration, which seems like one of the smaller concentrations so I'm thinking the departments are probably on different timelines.

On 1/21/2020 at 12:02 PM, Rtwoneday said:

Why do you say she is no longer teaching there? Just because she heads the department? 

She is definitely still at the school.

I spoke with one of my current professors about transferring into UCLA's Interdisciplinary Studio and he told me not to because Andrea Fraser is no longer teaching in that area of study. I haven't seen or heard this info anywhere else but my professor graduated from UCLA's MFA and keeps in touch with their program regularly.

Hey everyone, applied to only SAIC’s VCD post bacc since I decided on the grad school route a little late. Past freak out forums makes it look like next week will be when schools start reaching out to people ??

good luck to all of you!!! 

Hi! Also joining this thread really late:

I applied to a bunch of programs (really trying to get going this coming year): U Chicago (Invited for Interview), SAIC, Uof Illinois Urbana-Champaign, STAMPS, VCU, Carnegie Mellon, Pratt, Hunter, UPenn, and Temple (Invited for Interview). 

Does anyone know when most invitations for interviews go out? I'm just kind of nervously checking my inbox every day ?

On 1/21/2020 at 4:48 PM, MYJ2020 said:

I got an interview from U of Chicago. Was going to ask if anyone knows about their MFA program? 

It’s my #1! Pretty devo not to get an interview this round. I totally wrecked the first one though. Too nervous because I wanted it too much :)

The interview was pretty much a whole day affair, including a lunch with prospective students and the faculty, a tour, crits and a 20 min interview with 2 faculty and one current MFA student. They asked me what I’d been doing since my BFA, and then some q’s specific to my practice.  

According to a current student, last years intake included 4 students that attended the interviews in person and 4 that Skyped in. 

Let me know if you need anything else. Good luck! 

Edited by hht
Typo

Anyone here applying for SAIC's FVNMA (Film Video New Media and Animation)? I keep checking my vimeo's analytics every day to see if they've been watching my stuff and apparently they haven't watched the videos all the way through? Does anyone know if what's embedded into the eportfolio section of SlideRoom shows up in the stats? I'm so curious.

On 1/21/2020 at 4:15 PM, chocosprinkles95 said:

I'm not 100% sure about Mount Royal. But I interviewed for the Rinehart school of sculpture. The director for Mount Royal though is amazing and also friendly! So don't freak out so much. He does have a bit of an accent so it can be hard to understand him at times. But I'm sure you're going to do amazing! Just remember to breathe :)

Thank you! Seems this year isn't the director Luca who gonna conduct the interview, its one of the artists in residence. But yeah exciting and nervous haha :)

On 1/22/2020 at 4:14 PM, joethebridge said:

Just heard from SVA for an interview on Jan 28th! It will be my first interview for application to MFA so kinda nervous rn...

Hi there, I will have the interview with SVA as well! Which program you apply to? I am for computer arts. I also applied to RISD and Columbia as well. Finger crossed

5 hours ago, 6370013010006936780 said:

Anyone here applying for SAIC's FVNMA (Film Video New Media and Animation)? I keep checking my vimeo's analytics every day to see if they've been watching my stuff and apparently they haven't watched the videos all the way through? Does anyone know if what's embedded into the eportfolio section of SlideRoom shows up in the stats? I'm so curious.

Same here. But I don't even know how to see whether it was Saic checked my Vimeo or not lol. But yeah, their on-campus interview is coming up soon in Feb, I hope we can hear from them pretty soon, luckily...

12 minutes ago, ArinL said:

Same here. But I don't even know how to see whether it was Saic checked my Vimeo or not lol. But yeah, their on-campus interview is coming up soon in Feb, I hope we can hear from them pretty soon, luckily...

I'm just assuming! My account is pretty new and every 3 days or so after the deadline there's a couple views averaging 50% ... I can't really see who it was or what video specifically but I think it would be safe so say it's them! I'm just confused over the fact that they seem to not be watching the whole thing lmao

On 1/22/2020 at 2:14 AM, joethebridge said:

Congrats, that's exciting : D You're going to rock it! 

Hi! Just found out about this forum. Is anyone else applying to any of the following universities: 

- Konstfack, Stockholm, SE

- Politecnico di Milano, Milan, IT

- Aalto University, Espoo, FI

- KADK, Copenhagen, DK

- DAE, Eindhoven, NL

for their art/design programs this year? I am curious about their response time if the first stage of application has been cleared. 

Thanks heaps! :) And best of luck to you all!