MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

On 1/23/2020 at 5:18 PM, 6370013010006936780 said:

I'm just assuming! My account is pretty new and every 3 days or so after the deadline there's a couple views averaging 50% ... I can't really see who it was or what video specifically but I think it would be safe so say it's them! I'm just confused over the fact that they seem to not be watching the whole thing lmao

His After you mentioned that I kept checking my vimeo every day lmao. But luckily you received the interview as well! Happy for u!!

Has anyone been in a situation in which a program offers admission with an attractive package (full tuition, assistantship stipend, additional funding, etc.) on the condition that the candidate commits to it within a short timeframe, like two weeks? I'm not in such a position, but I wanna hear about people's experience with it. How do you make decisions when it's still so early in the admissions process and you're waiting to hear from other schools?

21 minutes ago, MIQI said:

Has anyone been in a situation in which a program offers admission with an attractive package (full tuition, assistantship stipend, additional funding, etc.) on the condition that the candidate commits to it within a short timeframe, like two weeks? I'm not in such a position, but I wanna hear about people's experience with it. How do you make decisions when it's still so early in the admissions process and you're waiting to hear from other schools?

All schools have to give you until April 15 to make a decision per a Council of Graduate Schools resolution. From my understanding of the resolution they have to give you until April 15 to make a decision. You can read it here: https://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution

Just now, M3R71N said:

All schools have to give you until April 15 to make a decision per a Council of Graduate Schools resolution. From my understanding of the resolution they have to give you until April 15 to make a decision. You can read it here: https://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution

I'm aware of that agreement. It's just that one of my profs expects some schools to essentially pressure candidates into committing early. It hasn't happened to me yet, so I hope you're right and she's wrong.

I haven't seen UW Madison mentioned here, and not sure if people know that 2020 will be the first year their art program is fully funded, making it the largest funded art program in the US. They're also ranked as the #1 printmaking program in the country I believe. I've toured the school and they have 2 large dedicated buildings for the arts and incredible facilities. I got an email notifying I was admitted today - good luck everyone! 

Edited by darsenbehelm
typo

On 1/30/2020 at 12:23 AM, aniben3 said:

hey, fiber artist here! I haven't seen anyone else in this thread who is, but I applied to VCU, Cranbrook, SAIC, Tyler, University of Oregon, and University of Iowa. I've got an interview with Cranbrook & SAIC, but haven't heard anything from the others. 

Hi wondering for cranbrook, if you have a phone interview or if they also extended a letter to you saying they were interested and that you should come for the Visit Day and "speak with" said faculty "individually"? (thats what I got) 

It's like I cant accept it unless they quite literally say "INTERVIEW"

x

On 1/30/2020 at 1:09 AM, solsosls said:

I also applied to Columbia Printmaking program ! Do you know when they usually send out feedbacks? 

I am not really sure, but based on the previous forums, around mid to late February.    

12 hours ago, pollypocket said:

Hi wondering for cranbrook, if you have a phone interview or if they also extended a letter to you saying they were interested and that you should come for the Visit Day and "speak with" said faculty "individually"? (thats what I got) 

x

They want you to visit in person and speak with faculty—that should be a very good sign. If the interviews were formal, they probably would have said interview. I would guess these are meant to be slightly more casual conversations. 

I heard back from RISD & VCU: RISD asked to choose between skype/campus visit and VCU asked to choose a time slot for skype interview.

Is it weird to ask them about expected duration / format / what to show / etc for the skype interview? I just want to get a better idea what the interview is going to be like but don't want to sound like I'm interrogating them.

42 minutes ago, krystalinkim said:

I heard back from RISD & VCU: RISD asked to choose between skype/campus visit and VCU asked to choose a time slot for skype interview.

Is it weird to ask them about expected duration / format / what to show / etc for the skype interview? I just want to get a better idea what the interview is going to be like but don't want to sound like I'm interrogating them.

What discipline are you applying to? My interview requests have been vague too. 

On 2/1/2020 at 9:57 AM, pollypocket said:

x

I live abroad so I'm unable to visit, so first I got an email, and then I had a skype interview, so I'm afraid I can't help with that. However, it's a good sign that they want to talk to you, and that's what I was told during my interview. They don't talk to candidates they don't think would be a good fit for the program. 

On 1/30/2020 at 10:30 PM, 6370013010006936780 said:

Thank you! What departments did you apply for? Each dept. has diff timelines, so I hope you get your call (or letter/e-mail)! Good luck to you too!

I got the Interview request  email from Fashion,Body, and Garment department!! I hope to see you on the interview day! Good luck to you too :)