MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

On 2/3/2020 at 10:09 PM, Strawberrycat said:

I did a short phone interview with them on Wednesday. They emailed me two days before with a list of questions to pick 2-3 from to answer about one piece from my portfolio, in a less than 10 min timeframe.

I applied to a bunch of the UCs, but they're the only ones I've heard anything from so far. Has anyone heard from UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSB, UCSD, or UC Irvine yet? 

Have you heard back from Davis since the interview?

2 hours ago, Rtwoneday said:

If you have any questions about the program let me know. I did my Undergrad there and have friends in the grad program 

What do you think are the pros and cons of Minnesota's MFA program? Are your friends happy there? Why/why not?

~*Photography*~

OSU: waitlisted

Uark: waitlisted

UGA: Interviewed. They said they will contact me for another interview soon so waiting on that.

University of South Florida: Not contacted yet

1 hour ago, STICKY said:

Penn  MFA  Interviews are out 

SVA  Low Res  Interviews are out 

PCNA  LOW RES  early Interviews are out 

Mount ROYAL   Interviews are out 

MICA  MFA  Low res early Interviews are out

hey! how did you hear about Penn MFA interviews?

I have been waitlisted at UArk - and I saw someone else was too, so I wanted to give a quick update as I just had a chat with one of the professors there. 

I'm sure all schools are different, but in this case they said there is no ranking of the waitlist, and that the decision of who will be offered a spot is highly dependent on 'fit' with the other incoming student - in other words, they only accept two people into this department, so they want the pair to be compatible. It's not something that I thought of as being important, so I hope this information is useful and comforting to anyone else out there waitlisted - I know it's impossible not to take it personally, but there are so many factors beyond the quality of your work/your personality/whatever else you are picking apart.

6 hours ago, MIQI said:

Has anyone heard from Stanford yet?

The site said interviews would take place in Feb, but haven't heard a peep.

Additionally waiting on 

- Columbia

- Hunter 

- Bard

- NYU

All for painting. 

If anyone has heard from these schools, or has any additional insight...I would love to know.

18 minutes ago, tdrae said:

Additionally waiting on 

- Columbia

- Hunter 

- Bard

- NYU

All for painting. 

If anyone has heard from these schools, or has any additional insight...I would love to know.

Columbia -- last year the interviews happened around the second week of march so I don't think interview decisions have been made

Hunter -- I also haven't heard anything

Bard -- at the Q&A they said interviews usually take place the first weekend in March so we still have time

49 minutes ago, tdrae said:

Additionally waiting on 

- Columbia

- Hunter 

- Bard

- NYU

All for painting. 

I’m almost positive Bard interviews are March 7th 

Update on my list

IU Digital Art-Interviewed
UC Riverside- Interview on February 14
UCI Electronic art and Design-Nothing
UIUC New Media-Nothing
UIC New Media-Nothing
SUNY Purchase MA/MFA- Nothing
UCSD-Nothing
SAIC-nothing (at this point probably means rejection)

22 hours ago, MIQI said:

What do you think are the pros and cons of Minnesota's MFA program? Are your friends happy there? Why/why not?

Pros: Incredible funding (tuition wavier + stipend), great state for funding and grants (second only to New York), large and beautiful city, large cohort inside of a large school, Printmaking facilities amazing, Jenny Schmid is amazing (Corinne Teed joined the semester left)

Cons: Cold, department can be only focused on capital A Art (loves installation/performance/interdisciplinary does not like abstract work/conventional painting/pottery/craft), can be hard to connect with professors and get their time.

One con I'd like to elaborate on is that Minneapolis, and UMN even more so, can be a really difficult places to make friends. It's hard to stress how important/difficult this is but it's very similar to Seattle Freeze. I had one friend who regretted his whole 3 years and his work subsequently became about his home state entirely becuase he couldn't find his community and social circle. It can also be hard to connect with some professors because of this as well. 

Overall definitely worth it, but when visiting try and go out/ go to bars/ do what you'd normally do in your city and try and feel out the atmosphere. 

5 hours ago, paintpaintpaintpaint said:

I’m almost positive Bard interviews are March 7th 

I’m curious about interview requests for Columbia School of the Arts (NYC) and when Bard extends invites. 

Anyone received word from SVA MFA Fine art interviews?

Edited by AFL

I’m curious about interview requests for Columbia School of the Arts (NYC) and when Bard extends invites.  Sat. March 7th sounds right for Bard’s interview date.

Anyone received word from SVA MFA Fine art interviews?

7 hours ago, AFL said:

I’m curious about interview requests for Columbia School of the Arts (NYC) and when Bard extends invites.  Sat. March 7th sounds right for Bard’s interview date.

Anyone received word from SVA MFA Fine art interviews?D

Can I ask the deparment you applied to ?

Edited by solsosls