MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

20 hours ago, nn009 said:

Thank you for sharing!! What discipline did you apply for? 

I applied to:

UCLA (New Genres w/ Interdisciplinary studio as my back up) - no word yet

USC (this is an interdisciplinary program) - no word yet

Yale (Sculpture) - no word yet

Berkeley (this is an intermediary program) - I interviewed last week. Still no word back. This is my #1 choice, so I'm so nervous to hear back! 

1 hour ago, AFL said:
2 hours ago, what_topography said:

If anyone is wondering about Columbia decisions if you've heard nothing at this point, I know last year they reached out with rejections really late.

I don't know if it's 100% accurate, but if you want to know if you were rejected look at your Slideroom submission and the MFA was taken off of the 2020 Painting MFA it means you were rejected. Terrible way to find out, but it helped me move on faster. This was mentioned the last few years forums as a method to know your status since their communication isn't super speedy. Must be a way for them to sort all the slideroom submissions...

Interesting and insightful. Has anyone tried this out? Do we know how accurate this is?

I applied last year and was rejected. The MFA was removed. Same thing this year (though I have not heard officially), so I have reason to believe this is correct. 

50 minutes ago, tdrae said:

I applied last year and was rejected. The MFA was removed. Same thing this year (though I have not heard officially), so I have reason to believe this is correct. 

Sorry to hear that :(. Did you apply for the Painting discipline too?

Here's my latest status: 

All Interdisciplinary.

• University of Chicago - Nothing
  • Cal Arts - Nothing
  • UCLA - Interdisciplinary Studio - Nothing
  • Carnegie Mellon - Interviewed on 2/9
  • Colombia - New Genres - Nothing 
  • SMFA - Interviewed on 2/11
  • Emily Carr - Interview forthcoming
  • Goldsmiths - Nothing
  • PNCA - Nothiing
  • Royal College of Art - Rejected

1 hour ago, tdrae said:

Sorry to hear. Hope that’s not the case. Good luck! 

2 hours ago, elfurbydeomar said:

I applied to:

UCLA (New Genres w/ Interdisciplinary studio as my back up) - no word yet

USC (this is an interdisciplinary program) - no word yet

Yale (Sculpture) - no word yet

Berkeley (this is an intermediary program) - I interviewed last week. Still no word back. This is my #1 choice, so I'm so nervous to hear back! 

Thanks for the update!! Good luck, hope you get your top choice~

7 hours ago, _Babayaga_ said:

Did anyone get any email today from UCLA (photo) saying that  your application has been received? Im just a little confused by this because of course I submitted my application over a month ago. 

I received a confirmation email on Jan 11th.

Nothing heard from them since then.

7 hours ago, what_topography said:

If anyone is wondering about Columbia decisions if you've heard nothing at this point, I know last year they reached out with rejections really late.

I don't know if it's 100% accurate, but if you want to know if you were rejected look at your Slideroom submission and the MFA was taken off of the 2020 Painting MFA it means you were rejected. Terrible way to find out, but it helped me move on faster. This was mentioned the last few years forums as a method to know your status since their communication isn't super speedy. Must be a way for them to sort all the slideroom submissions...

Do you mean the MFA sign is not visible on the slideroom page and not the Columbia MFA application status page?

Chiming in-

-just received email for Art Center interview online for next week 

-yale painting/printmaking- rejected

-UCSD- rejected 

-UCI/UCLA- nothing

-Rutgers- denied by Visual Arts but invited for interview for Design which is so odd to me, I read this happened to someone else on the forum ?

-Stamps/UMichigan- nothing so p sure rejected 

Wishing all the best !

24 minutes ago, solsosls said:

Do you mean the MFA sign is not visible on the slideroom page and not the Columbia MFA application status page?

On Slideroom - I applied in 2018 and did not get an interview, and the MFA disappeared around the time the interviews went out. This year I got an interview and the MFA is still there. I am attaching a screenshot... It is not a nice way to find out indeed, but if you need to make some decisions by a certain date it's good to have closure, or at least it was good for me at the time.

Since I am on the topic I should note I am glad I waited and re-applied. This year it was so much easier to navigate applications and interviews and to wrap my head around the decision I am about to make when it's not my first application season. Happy to answer questions about this to the best of my ability. 

screenshot.jpg

On 2/13/2020 at 1:46 PM, yesterday100 said:

Has anyone heard anything from CU Boulder regarding interviews?

Currently attending for undergrad, I know some departments have def made decisions for interviews, not completely sure if they've reached out yet (this was recent)

I was wondering if anyone can speak to visiting a school for an in-person interview vs. doing it over Skype? I got an interview request that claimed that this decision did not impact their final decision, but this school is my top choice and I feel like meeting with faculty/grad students in person may be more memorable or relay a degree of commitment. Another benefit is that I would get to visit the area and get a better feel for the facilities. However, I would have to miss a few days of class (still in undergrad) and drop some serious money.... does it make a difference?

I had asked a school whether they conduct interviews before making a final decision. And one of the professors replied saying that they will make the decision soon but they can set up something for me to ask questions if I want to... do you think this is a good sign?

On 2/13/2020 at 4:11 PM, printmaker1991 said:

Good to hear! What program did you apply to? I was losing hope and still not super hopeful since I haven't heard back from them and know that they tend to move quickly.

I was in communications specifically with Sculpture. He did say they're having all of the finalists over to interview the weekend of the 23rd, but didn't say if it was only sculpture or if it was others as well.