MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

1 hour ago, joethebridge said:

Called RISD and they said they don’t invite all the admitted students to interview...which means that if you haven’t heard back from them there’s still chance!

Did ask about a specific department or in general regarding MFA application?

4 hours ago, XSX said:

Has anyone heard back from University of Oregon, University of Washington Seattle, or SMU Meadows?

Other schools I applied to are UT Austin (already had my interview and am awaiting response), RISD (interview later this month), and UCLA (which apparently no one has heard back from, from what I've read)

UCLA New genre sent out invitations last weekend.

Hi everyone, just wanted to throw this into the pot as I know how important information is during this time. 

I applied to the following schools: 

- UCLA (New Genres): No response, am assuming I did not get an interview. 

-Berkeley: Interviewed. Have not heard a response back from it yet. 

-Yale: Nothing yet

-USC: Nothing yet. 

Best of luck to everyone! 

On 2/11/2020 at 2:33 PM, Rtwoneday said:

For anyone who is still just waiting to hear back from schools, I just got an interview request from Tyler.  They sent out the first round of interview requests mid January, so there is hope. 

Good to hear! What program did you apply to? I was losing hope and still not super hopeful since I haven't heard back from them and know that they tend to move quickly.

1 hour ago, elfurbydeomar said:

Hi everyone, just wanted to throw this into the pot as I know how important information is during this time. 

I applied to the following schools: 

- UCLA (New Genres): No response, am assuming I did not get an interview. 

-Berkeley: Interviewed. Have not heard a response back from it yet. 

-Yale: Nothing yet

-USC: Nothing yet. 

Best of luck to everyone! 

Thank you for sharing!! What discipline did you apply for? 

42 minutes ago, aniben3 said:

Accepted to Cranbrook fiber this morning via email, so if anyone is lurking & interested, those are out. 
Official acceptance letter & financial package will be sent out later. 

Congratulations! A mentor of mine graduated from Cranbrook (not in fiber), and 20 years later he still talks about the program fondly. I hope you have a lovely time if you choose to go!

7 hours ago, HydroHydra said:

Anyone heard specifically from:

VCU sculpture

Hunter sculpture

Columbia painting 

.... I know these programs have already requested interviews for other departments but don’t know if they roll in unison. 

I talked to VCU sculpture. They said they make decisions at the end of the month

1 hour ago, atb said:

Congratulations! A mentor of mine graduated from Cranbrook (not in fiber), and 20 years later he still talks about the program fondly. I hope you have a lovely time if you choose to go!

Thank you!!! In the end, it'll all come down to financials, but I'm hopeful because it's such a nice school! :') 

1 hour ago, krystalinkim said:

has anyone heard back from sva / artcenter / cca for graphic design? 

I haven't heard anything from AC Graphic Design. I'm also applying to SVA but not for Graphic Design - going off the Grad cafe results page - I think SVA/Pratt/Parsons etc stick pretty close to that March 15th acceptance date range. I saw some that were in early march but that was minimal. 

Edited by Jauxiles

Did anyone who applied to Hunter get a rejection email? I know some folks got interview emails, but in past years they have sent out rejections the same day or the day after interview invitations. I still haven't heard anything. I'm guessing that means I'm not going to get an interview, but I was wondering if anyone had seen any rejections come through their email yet. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Killerdonuts said:

Did anyone who applied to Hunter get a rejection email? I know some folks got interview emails, but in past years they have sent out rejections the same day or the day after interview invitations. I still haven't heard anything. I'm guessing that means I'm not going to get an interview, but I was wondering if anyone had seen any rejections come through their email yet. Thanks!

I’ve been wondering this, too...

What discipline did you apply to? 

Just now, HydroHydra said:

I’ve been wondering this, too...

What discipline did you apply to? 

Painting - I saw some folks say they got interviews for painting specifically, so I figured the "they haven't gotten to interview invites for my concentration" theory is shot. 

19 minutes ago, _Babayaga_ said:

Did anyone get any email today from UCLA (photo) saying that  your application has been received? Im just a little confused by this because of course I submitted my application over a month ago. 

Nope, that's confusing! I got a similar email right after submitting my application, but none since. I applied for painting, so not sure about other disciplines.

If anyone is wondering about Columbia decisions if you've heard nothing at this point, I know last year they reached out with rejections really late.

I don't know if it's 100% accurate, but if you want to know if you were rejected look at your Slideroom submission and the MFA was taken off of the 2020 Painting MFA it means you were rejected. Terrible way to find out, but it helped me move on faster. This was mentioned the last few years forums as a method to know your status since their communication isn't super speedy. Must be a way for them to sort all the slideroom submissions...