MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

13 minutes ago, Noir said:

oh, just read the previous post, u are one of the 10 as well haha ?

Do you feel the interview is challenging or...?

My interview is pretty much the same... thought I did a terrible job ? right now I’m just assuming that they will reject me.. hope you can get in though. I looked at the IS students’ CV on their website. They seem to have a much higher standard for that program

4 minutes ago, zzc said:

My interview is pretty much the same... thought I did a terrible job ? right now I’m just assuming that they will reject me.. hope you can get in though. I looked at the IS students’ CV on their website. They seem to have a much higher standard for that program

have you accepted the offer from RCA?

at least RCA is a great school as well...I used to apply round 1 but their portal has technical problem made me cant applied on time....have to apply round 2 instead

9 minutes ago, Noir said:

have you accepted the offer from RCA?

at least RCA is a great school as well...I used to apply round 1 but their portal has technical problem made me cant applied on time....have to apply round 2 instead

I didn’t accept it. Deposit is too much and it’s also a big program (100 ppl in CAP and only fewer than 10 faculties). RCA is going through a big change now. They’re changing CAP to a one year program likely from next year. Although it’s not going to affect us, I’m just generally worried about the decline of their reputation and overcrowded campus. Although they do have great facilities if you want to work on more things. 

On 2/11/2020 at 1:56 PM, tomato potato said:

heres my list!

yale- reject

rutgers - reject but invited to the department of design for interview

saic ma vsc - no response

goldsmiths - no response

Uark - interviewed, no response

Cornell - no response

Purchase mfa+ma - no response

im also a non us citizen, not sure if that changes anything about deadlines 

Hi tomato potato- did you have the interview with the Rutgers Design dept? I also was invited to interview for their MFAD program after applying to MFA Art, very curious about this...good luck with all!

question about CalArts--

Applied for MFA school of art, but did not receive an interview. Was assuming waitlist or rejection. However, this year I was emailed credentials for the Hub (student services), where I see that my financial aid is being reviewed.

Did everyone who applied receive this email? It seems standard but not I'm sure since I didn't receive one of these last year, even though I was eventually waitlisted and rejected. 

Thanks!

On 2/19/2020 at 5:16 PM, zzc said:

Columbia Visual Arts just sent out invitations for interviews. Has anyone received it? 

What area? Was it Painting? Thanks!

I’m hearing it was moving image invites sent from columbia?

Edited by AFL

On 2/19/2020 at 5:16 PM, zzc said:

Columbia Visual Arts just sent out invitations for interviews. Has anyone received it? 

Was it for Painting? I’m hearing it was moving image invites sent from columbia?

CCA sent an email today stating that some candidates were requested to participate in interviews, but not all would be required to interview. And chances of admission are the same for those who are asked to be interviewed as well as those who were not invited for interviews.

Does anyone know what this really means, and why they are interviewing only some prospect candidates vs all? 

Edited by nn009

Accepted to SAIC this morning via email because I'm abroad! If anyone is waiting on SAIC, you should be hearing soon!

My list as of now:
Cranbrook: interviewed, accepted w/ scholarship
SAIC: interviewed, accepted with TA position
University of Oregon: interviewed & waiting for results
VCU: nothing yet
Tyler: nothing yet, assuming rejection
University of Iowa: nothing yet

Has anyone heard from VCU for the craft & material studies area?

1 hour ago, aniben3 said:

Accepted to SAIC this morning via email because I'm abroad! If anyone is waiting on SAIC, you should be hearing soon!

My list as of now:

Omg that’s so cool! Congrats on SAIC! How did you get a TA position?

8 minutes ago, Little Lulu said:

Omg that’s so cool! Congrats on SAIC! How did you get a TA position?

Thank you!!

Apparently they hold a few TA positions open for incoming first years, but generally they’re by competitive application in the second year. I was pleasantly surprised, but it might help that I have five years of assistant teaching abroad, though admittedly in a different subject.

I haven’t seen the rest of the financial package yet, the TA position was offered in my acceptance email! 

Hi! Anyone here know much about UCR's fine art program, or have friends who studied there? Recently offered a place, however I am living overseas and unable to visit the campus, wondering if anyone can provide some related experiences? Thank you!

(I applied with a painting focused portfolio)

Edited by xzg

2 hours ago, aniben3 said:

My list as of now:

Congrats!! Did you have an interview with SAIC on valentine's week? That's a fast response from school!

2 hours ago, aniben3 said:

My list as of now:

Congratulations on SAIC! What department? 

7 hours ago, zzc said:

I didn’t accept it. Deposit is too much and it’s also a big program (100 ppl in CAP and only fewer than 10 faculties). RCA is going through a big change now. They’re changing CAP to a one year program likely from next year. Although it’s not going to affect us, I’m just generally worried about the decline of their reputation and overcrowded campus. Although they do have great facilities if you want to work on more things. 

cool, thank you for the information.

How would you compare to Slade and RCA? (actually i earned my BA from UAL, I feel hard to decide these two)

41 minutes ago, Noir said:

cool, thank you for the information.

How would you compare to Slade and RCA? (actually i earned my BA from UAL, I feel hard to decide these two)

So I feel Slade is more attractive to me because there’s much more you can study in UCL outside of art courses? And also the program itself seems to be much smaller than RCA one. Also it’s cheaper... you should have more information on this if you go to open days for both schools haha since you’re in London. Eventually I think it depends on whether you have a professor you want to work with in the program. 

7 hours ago, babsi said:

question about CalArts--

Applied for MFA school of art, but did not receive an interview. Was assuming waitlist or rejection. However, this year I was emailed credentials for the Hub (student services), where I see that my financial aid is being reviewed.

Did everyone who applied receive this email? It seems standard but not I'm sure since I didn't receive one of these last year, even though I was eventually waitlisted and rejected. 

Thanks!

I received the same email... I have no idea what any of this means but I was accepted last go around and didn’t get hub login until after my acceptance. I’m not sure if it’s an auto generated it thing each year for prospective or is a good sign. I suppose we could call and ask but I wasn’t aware interview requests had gone out yet so was just going to sit on it as a fluke?

(painting dept for me, sorry for not mentioning)

Edited by latenightlatte
Clarity