MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

8 hours ago, tinaaaaaa said:

Has anyone heard from SAIC? I had an interview almost two weeks ago but didnt get any email from them. 

I got an acceptance letter in the mail recently (dated Feb 13th), but no email!

19 hours ago, nn009 said:

Congrats!! Can you tell more about the low res mfa - what program, how long will it take to get your mfa and what are your general thoughts about it? 

Thank you!!

Thank you!! Supposedly it'll take 3 on-campus summer sessions + 2 spring & fall online sessions (though I'm not sure what this entails yet) for a total of 2.5 years. I'm doing low res because I'm currently trying to immigrate to Quebec, which, for a few reasons, is easier if you're living here. I think the main draw of low res is so that you can be located elsewhere while obtaining a degree? But perhaps there are other draws as well that I haven't considered. Best of luck!!

27 minutes ago, B_Montague said:

Thank you!! Supposedly it'll take 3 on-campus summer sessions + 2 spring & fall online sessions (though I'm not sure what this entails yet) for a total of 2.5 years. I'm doing low res because I'm currently trying to immigrate to Quebec, which, for a few reasons, is easier if you're living here. I think the main draw of low res is so that you can be located elsewhere while obtaining a degree? But perhaps there are other draws as well that I haven't considered. Best of luck!!

Thank you!!! I am also considering, but havnt decided just yet. 

On 2/25/2020 at 5:23 AM, Bubby said:

I spoke to them recently and they said they were finalizing the review process. Shouldn’t be too long.

you spoke to your disciplinary or in general?

On 2/23/2020 at 2:42 PM, paintpaintpaintpaint said:

@xzg I was also offered a spot for fall 2020 and can’t visit before the date they want us to commit by. I know someone doing performance there and am going to meet up with her next week in NYC. I can pass on info if you’d like. 

I applied with a drawing/ painting focus. My friend got in as well with a focus on film but very up in the air if either of us will accept. Still waiting to hear back from our top choices.

Things I’ve already been told by a past UCR MFA student: 

The studios are massive & have sky lights. The facilities are good and they just put in a printmaking shop. 

Its a small group (4 each year, 12 total) so the experience rly depends on who else is in your cohort. This also means you get a lot of time to work with the faculty that u want to (who are very committed and seems to rly care about being involved) which can be rare for MFA programs. 

The ppl there tend to focus on the act of making so if your practice is more conceptual or research based you might not love it. 

There are some fees that the tuition waiver doesn’t cover. 

A lot of ppl live in LA and commute in. 

When they are asking you to commit by?

@xzg talked to current UCR student and was given an overall very positive review of the program. only negatives were the very white art faculty (that she says is in the process of changing) and that housing in riverside itself is more expensive than you might think. 

she’s also taken classes (for no extra tuition fee) with art faculty she wanted to work with at other UC’s (UCI & UCLA) which apparently you are allowed to do at any UC school. 

They get great visiting artists. And other departments (creative writing/ english & dance) bring in rly amazing people as well. 

Also said UCR is well known in the LA community and ppl come out for open studios and such.

She is a New Yorker like myself & said she was happy to get out of a hub of the art market. & it freed her of a lot of distraction. Although she is a pretty well known NY artist and shows in LA so mb she just wanted a break.

Good luck with the rest of your schools!

So I work in undergraduate admissions... a handful of people try negotiate their scholarship amounts after acceptance, and almost all of the time those students end up receiving more funding. Has anyone in this forum tried this with a graduate program? I got into a program with tuition waived and a fellowship/assistantship in exchange for 20 hrs of TA work. Accepting these fellowships are like accepting a job offer, and for job offers I know its best to try negotiate your pay.  I'm a bit worried I will come off as ungrateful or needy, but I don't just want to assume that their offer non-negotiable. Any advice? 

29 minutes ago, apple-orange-pear-plum said:

So I work in undergraduate admissions... a handful of people try negotiate their scholarship amounts after acceptance, and almost all of the time those students end up receiving more funding. Has anyone in this forum tried this with a graduate program? I got into a program with tuition waived and a fellowship/assistantship in exchange for 20 hrs of TA work. Accepting these fellowships are like accepting a job offer, and for job offers I know its best to try negotiate your pay.  I'm a bit worried I will come off as ungrateful or needy, but I don't just want to assume that their offer non-negotiable. Any advice? 

Edit: I just reread your post more thoroughly and realized you were asking specifically about the TAship pay. I don't actually know the answer to that, I'm sorry! But I'll leave my answer for the rest of it.

I was told by an admissions person from a grad school at National Portfolio Day to always ask for more funding. She said that the worst they can do is say no, but often if the funding is available, they'll work with you. She did preface it with "you didn't hear it from me, but..." though, so take that as you will. ? I think if you wrote to them or spoke with them in a polite, professional, and earnest-about-their-school way, explaining that you going there depends on your financial situation, then you wouldn't seem ungrateful or needy. They know very well that they're expensive and a big investment. Also, congrats!

Edited by Strawberrycat
I can't read apparently.

17 hours ago, emox4ever said:

received an offer from SAIC painting MFA this morning.

intervewed: MICA PARSONS UPENN

rej: YALE

nothing from RISD, NYU and USC...Has anyone interviewed with them? 》。《?

I interviewed a couple of days ago for USC. No word on whether or not I will be offered a spot, yet! 

4 hours ago, apple-orange-pear-plum said:

I feel like it may be even better if you have another offer with more pay, in which case you could ask them to match the higher pay, or at least increase their pay. I've been advised to do so if I get to the point of deciding between two programs and want to negotiate.