MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

6 hours ago, Yunazin said:

Hi

I had an interview for SAIC (not for Sculpture major) and still waiting. I was so worried since they didn’t give me any email. But when I read their very first admission process email, they said ‘As soon as decisions are made (typically in mid-March) letters will be mailed immediately to the address you provided in the application.’ 

So I guess we can wait a little more ! 
Hope you can get in.

I heard that other departments already sent an acceptance email and letters too, also I have a friend who was in the program told me about the processes so I kinda gave up. 

Hey @lazuli. I really appreciate the thoughts you gave on Oxford, and I saw you're looking for info on Columbia. I don't go there but grew up and currently attend school for undergrad nearby, so I spent a lot of time in the city, and my professors are all based in that scene. At one point, Columbia was my first choice, but I ended up not applying for a few reasons, largely due to an official tour I took from a current student there. All of the info here was accurate as of my tour in august 2019, could be different now, do your own research of course...

First, money - their financial aid office told me the highest tuition scholarship offered is only half and rare. personally, student loan debt is not an option. If that's not a concern for you, then fantastic.

Second - obviously incredible faculty, but nobody I'm excited about in relation to my own practice - more importantly, there's a problem with the full-time professors presence/accessibility. It has gotten a bit better, but there were issues of faculty disappearing into long-term sabbaticals. not much accountability. the "improvement" is that if faculty goes on sabbatical, they will be replaced with someone else on a one-year full-time contract. My student tour guide seriously said to me that roughly "half" of the faculty "actually care" about their students, which is pretty crazy for a tour guide to say. I guess it boils down to what you're looking for... if a faculty member likes your work, they'll bring you up into their professional world, but they have to be present to know your work to begin with haha. As you mentioned in your Oxford comments, @lazuli., some programs are meant for people looking to get pulled into the market (though I would think about UCLA/Yale well before Columbia in terms of this).

Third, facilities: a total embarrassment in my opinion, considering what you're paying. Tour guide said students complain about the quality of the computer lab supplies (I work primarily in video), but then I spoke with their equipment person and was told they just replaced the Macs, so I'm not sure. Again, I toured in August - I had sweat through my shirt by the end of the studio building tour because there is basically no air conditioning in most areas (and was told in the winter, the heating is way too much). Studio sizes vary wildly and it seems like you kinda just have to cross your fingers if you need a big space for your work. All in all, I literally could not see myself being able to focus on my work in that environment, but everyone is different.

The mentorship program is pretty cool and unique. On paper, the curriculum is nice. It's required to take courses outside of the art department, which I think is valuable. Columbia really comes down to being in NYC and its exposure... tour guide said "sometimes it feels like too many studio visits" because there are always people coming through.

TLDR I don't believe in worshipping programs/schools just because of their impenetrable reputation, though of course Columbia is more appropriate for some rather than others. Do your research and think critically about what you will be able to gain from this specific environment (and what you'll be able to contribute!)... It's obviously not for me, but wanted to give my perspective since I was in love with the Columbia MFA before this tour last summer.

On 2/29/2020 at 4:36 AM, cliche said:

Hi!

I am curious, if it comes to choose between Columbia College Chicago and Cranbrook, which will be the best choice?

My major is photography.

As person that works with the Photo people here on campus that's really a crapshoot.

DM me and I can give you a second opinion based on what you make. 

Can someone speak to University at Buffao’s MFA in Studio Art program? Both in general and about its reputation in particular. I like the program on paper but most of my undergrad mentors don’t have UB on their radar.

10 hours ago, brho said:

I heard that other departments already sent an acceptance email and letters too, also I have a friend who was in the program told me about the processes so I kinda gave up. 

Oh..... I didn't know that.

I kinda sad right now haha

16 hours ago, pollypocket said:

Hi @hinata Congrats!

Wondering if you received an official offer letter from USF with details of funding?

Best of luck on your decision!

Hi @pollypocket,

Thank you!

I'm still waiting on the word on the details of funding. I haven't been able to find much information from others when searching on these forums - according to USF's website it says 6k - 10k. I am definitely hoping for more. My friend was accepted to the UF program in Gainesville and she will be receiving 16k in funding and I have another friend currently attending UNC Chapel Hill who has 20k+ in funding.

Is USF one of your top choices?

Best of luck with you!

Edited by hinata

17 hours ago, MYJ2020 said:

Thank you so much!!! I kind of applied there as safety school too. I was notified of acceptance but I'm still waiting to see what funding I could get. Did your friends mention if this program is helpful for careers after grad? e.g getting networks&getting help to really make good works...

It depends what you want to do after graduation. I feel like a decent amount of MFA candidates, not all, will stay in STL after graduating to continue their practice, teach, or maybe find full time museum positions/fellowships. There is an active art gallery scene in STL, and a fair amount of artists that attended WashU get involved. I know some artist friends' have been doing art residencies back and forth (it wasn't immediate after they graduated and they saved money by working in STL too) and one who has gallery representation, showing their work almost everywhere and works between STL and NYC. Overall, it varies. STL is a small city to get easily acquainted with the art scene and networking. 

5 hours ago, Referableorc said:

Just heard back from Goldsmiths this morning. They invited me to interview on March 24th, 16:00 UK time. 

same here~
will have interview with Goldsmiths on March 24th and with Slade on March 25th

Still waiting the updates from RCA (round 2 application)

And UCLA (interviewed on Feb 15th, probably no show since already 2 weeks...)

The schools from Netherland: sandberg instituut & piet zwart havent deadline yet.

I've applied to six painting MFA programs. Here's an update on my situation for anyone interested/needing info:

RISD - interviewed on Feb 25, accepted on Feb 27th 

University of Texas Austin - interviewed three weeks ago, rejected via email last week

University of Oregon Eugene - interviewed two weeks ago, rejected via email just now

University of Washington Seattle - nothing, and am assuming rejection at this point

Southern Methodist University Dallas - nothing (has anyone else applied to this program or heard back?)

UCLA - nothing (has anyone heard anything regarding the painting department?.. my status on the portal says nothing has been decided yet on my application, and that decisions won't be made until March or April...)

7 minutes ago, XSX said:

I've applied to six painting MFA programs. Here's an update on my situation for anyone interested/needing info:

University of Texas Austin - interviewed three weeks ago, rejected via email last week

University of Oregon Eugene - interviewed two weeks ago, rejected via email just now

University of Washington Seattle - nothing, and am assuming rejection at this point

Southern Methodist University Dallas - nothing (has anyone else applied to this program or heard back?)

UCLA - nothing (has anyone heard anything regarding the painting department?.. my status on the portal says nothing has been decided yet on my application, and that decisions won't be made until March or April...)

Thanks for sharing, XSX. My UCLA status simply says "submitted" which makes it seem like it hasn't even been looked at yet, eep. I wonder if they are even going to interview painting applicants?

20 minutes ago, XSX said:

Did RISD call or email? 

45 minutes ago, K788 said:

Did they also put you in touch with a student? 

nope. I got a call directly from the head of the graduate committee. they might not have put me in touch with a student, maybe because I already have a friend who goes there, that I mentioned during my interview. 

1 hour ago, XSX said:

I think UCLA has a different portal to view your decision. I got my rejection March 7th last year with a link to a different part of the website so maybe they're on a similar timeline this year? Either way also haven't heard anything.

Interviewed at RISD on the 24th and they haven't reached out, seems it's a no go for me, but I suppose I'll wait and see!  

Edited by latenightlatte