MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

8 hours ago, Ashley_567 said:

Congrats! I also got into MECA low residency program!  Still waiting on scholarship info, they said they couldn't give me that info over the phone so I am waiting on snail mail ? 

Congrats to you as well! I’m just not that very excited investing $30k in a programs where I can get a TA position nor enjoy all the classes on site. I find still very price for what you will get from. I know that all depends of your hard work, but an in person program can have in fact way more impact. I’m still thinking if it’s worthy sining out this big bill. 

On 2/22/2020 at 12:00 PM, tomato potato said:

meca mfa low/ full res is such a good program!!!! congrats!!!!

Thanks! Do you know anyone who’ve attended this program? Any specifics from your impression what makes this program great? I appreciate any insights. 

On 2/20/2020 at 8:19 AM, Yunazin said:

Anyone applied Parsons MFA here? Did anyone get email about interview offer ? 

Yes, I applied to Parsons and interviewed with them last week. It was a video hangout interview with a panel of 4 people - 2 faculty, 1 staff, and 1 student.

10 hours ago, Jns said:

Thanks! Do you know anyone who’ve attended this program? Any specifics from your impression what makes this program great? I appreciate any insights. 

I also just got into MECA (full res!) a few weeks ago over the phone. they just sent the financial package.... no much $$ offered, i need to follow up with them on assistantships or something

Hey all, 

Has anyone visited/does anyone have any intel on Columbia's MFA programme?

I have an interview but I've never actually visited (as I live abroad), I just like that its interdisciplinary.

Best wishes to everyone also!!

7 hours ago, sfhwol said:

Yes, I applied to Parsons and interviewed with them last week. It was a video hangout interview with a panel of 4 people - 2 faculty, 1 staff, and 1 student.

Which discipline did you apply to? Also, when did you apply (the date), if you don't mind me asking..?

On 2/23/2020 at 6:14 AM, solsosls said:

congrats!! What do you think is the change that made you get to the interview compare to the previous application?? : ) 

No luck for me this time but I'll try again.

Thanks! Yes, do try again especially if this is your first time applying. I feel like I can better assert myself as a strong candidate now that I've done it once already.

I think the biggest change is that I made much more work. In 2018 I could not produce as much because of job/family obligations. I interviewed at Yale and was rejected, I was admitted to SAIC with about 1/3 of tuition waived. If I had gone to SAIC I would have gotten into a significant amount of debt even though I love the city  So I just prioritized making work, and with a surplus of work I was able to really distill my portfolio down to what I thought was the strongest pieces. I don't have a BFA too so the years spent making helped. I also feel like maybe the confidence I had in the work and my choices helped me write a better statement and come across as more dedicated.

I hope this doesn't sound too simplistic/intuitive. I am in my late 20s and I have a family so I really needed to move with a lot of intention, which is precisely why simply saying "just make more work!!!!" feels ridiculous :) Good luck to you! Hope you get into a school you love!

On 2/22/2020 at 1:01 PM, ohboyy said:

Yes absolutely write emails! It's totally normal to take the addresses off of a website, and best to send the emails within 24 hours if interviewing. Lots of info about what to write is available online. Good to send individual emails to each Prof if possible 

thank u!

but it’s been a week I’m again wondering should I still send it...

11 hours ago, sfhwol said:

Mine is different major.... but I didn’t get any email from them yet ? 

Hope your interview went well and get a acceptance email :)

Apparently a professor from SAIC called my parent's phone while they were away for 10 days and said she'd love to talk to me...
I thought I'd put my cell on the application but maybe there was a problem because it's an international number?

Either way, there are no emails or anything...am I totally screwed? I did call back around noon and leave a message + my name with a colleague, should I send an email as well if I don't hear back tomorrow?

Edited by B_Montague

On 2/20/2020 at 8:11 PM, xzg said:

Hi! Anyone here know much about UCR's fine art program, or have friends who studied there? Recently offered a place, however I am living overseas and unable to visit the campus, wondering if anyone can provide some related experiences? Thank you!

(I applied with a painting focused portfolio)

The campus itself is beautiful and I really appreciate the art program. It is a pretty interdisciplinary program and I have heard that they are very strong when it comes to photography. The area the campus is situated in is more suburban, although downtown Riverside has become a lot more exciting with more stores and art galleries. The wonderful thing is that it is only 50 minutes away from Los Angeles, which is a huge artistic hub and has some of the world's best museums, galleries, and artists! 

On 2/23/2020 at 6:59 PM, willow j said:

Congrats on your acceptance!! Thanks so much for replying!! I had my interview with Indiana for painting and haven't heard anything since. Also, got rejected from UCI via portal a few days ago. Once I saw the email, I knew it was gonna be a 'no just from the phrasing 

Thanks! So painting may take a bit longer to send out acceptances... I have a friend who applied for that program and she found out she was rejected really fast so no news is definitely not bad news yet.

8 hours ago, B_Montague said:

Apparently a professor from SAIC called my parent's phone while they were away for 10 days and said she'd love to talk to me...
I thought I'd put my cell on the application but maybe there was a problem because it's an international number?

Either way, there are no emails or anything...am I totally screwed? I did call back around noon and leave a message + my name with a colleague, should I send an email as well if I don't hear back tomorrow?

Never mind, I got accepted to the low res MFA!! Via snail mail to my parent's place, possibly because they live in the states and I do not? 
I also did not interview, so I assume I was originally waitlisted?

3 hours ago, B_Montague said:

Never mind, I got accepted to the low res MFA!! Via snail mail to my parent's place, possibly because they live in the states and I do not? 
I also did not interview, so I assume I was originally waitlisted?

Congrats!! Can you tell more about the low res mfa - what program, how long will it take to get your mfa and what are your general thoughts about it? 

Thank you!!

31 minutes ago, tinaaaaaa said:

Has anyone heard from SAIC? I had an interview almost two weeks ago but didnt get any email from them. 

My friend got an email acceptance from SAIC FVNMA this morning (with a response deadline of April 1), not sure if more acceptances are still coming out or if this means waitlists/rejections are on the way.

2 hours ago, tintoretto said:

Hellooo has anyone received interview invitations from RISD MFA painting program? have they started doing the interviews?

Hiiii, my friend in the program told me they are doing interviews this week. I haven't heard anything from them ?