MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

2 hours ago, eleven11 said:

Yeah, I'm wondering about Stanford too, because according to last year topics the accepted candidates received an email in the middle of March and did not get interviewed (?)

Is that so? I noticed someone had already interviewed with Stanford by March 8 last year. Didn't see other mentions of Stanford in last year's freak out

Here's some intel on schools I applied to this year:

Rutgers sculpture: rejected 

UCLA interdisciplinary studio: no word yet

Alfred sculpture/glass: Interviewed via Skype -- supposed to hear final decision by end of Feb.

VCU sculpture: no word yet

UC Riverside: rejected (okay this is how it went down: the time frame within they said I'd be contacted for an interview came and went. So I emailed the grad coordinator for clarification, and she responded by telling me informally that I had been rejected. I guess their method is to tell applicants to reserve the 14th of Feb for interview day, and just let them assume they're rejected if they don't hear back! I checked my email every 10 minutes for a full 7 days prior to checking in, wish they had just sent me a form letter SMH. What DO those fees pay for exactly?!)

I've applied to grad school before, been looking for the right fit for SO LONG but never received the right mix of A) funding offer that made it financially feasible for me to attend + a school I felt really excited about. In 2017 I rejected an admission offer from Tyler sculpture—feel free to ask me about the interview process—basically it involved delivering an in-person lecture about my work to the MFA sculpture faculty and students, and they ask questions round-table style like a crit (that's right--a crit with strangers to prove your aptitude, about as awkward and stressful as you can imagine). This year I finally shifted my process of only applying to schools with better funding ops, and doing way better research rather than relying on hype and reputation, I'm hoping for a great fit. Some, like Alfred, even offer a full tuition waiver and stipend, plus insane top of the line facilities and teaching opportunities.  

Good luck out there everyone!! This is a wild process :)

Edited by outer_space

3 hours ago, MIQI said:

Is that so? I noticed someone had already interviewed with Stanford by March 8 last year. Didn't see other mentions of Stanford in last year's freak out

Sorry I messed it up. The two people accepted posted in 2018. They didn't say anything about being interviewed. Only that the decision came in March or the end of February. I think they already invited people for campus interviews if they conduct them at the end of February :(

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 01.04.23 copy.jpg

21 hours ago, paintpaintpaintpaint said:

@M3R71N I also interviewed at UCR. Did they give you any idea of when they would make a decision? I forgot to ask. 

I also forgot to ask... If its anything like IU it will probably take a little more than a week for them to get back to us.

On 2/14/2020 at 4:58 PM, hht said:

Sorry to hear that :(. Did you apply for the Painting discipline too?

With that said, has anyone else received an interview invite to Columbia school so the arts- painting? It seems this the week they would be released, if not already. 

On 2/16/2020 at 10:20 AM, MIQI said:

I'm once again asking for intel on Stanford... If they do conduct on-campus interviews at the end of February, I reckon the invites should be sent around this time at the latest.

I haven't heard anything from Stanford--so I'm assuming rejection. I flew out for the open house back in November and the director had mentioned that finalists would be notified late January/Early Feb. so that they have time to make travel arrangements for the interview. 

On 2/16/2020 at 2:40 PM, outer_space said:

Here's some intel on schools I applied to this year:

Rutgers sculpture: rejected 

UCLA interdisciplinary studio: no word yet

Alfred sculpture/glass: Interviewed via Skype -- supposed to hear final decision by end of Feb.

VCU sculpture: no word yet

UC Riverside: rejected (okay this is how it went down: the time frame within they said I'd be contacted for an interview came and went. So I emailed the grad coordinator for clarification, and she responded by telling me informally that I had been rejected. I guess their method is to tell applicants to reserve the 14th of Feb for interview day, and just let them assume they're rejected if they don't hear back! I checked my email every 10 minutes for a full 7 days prior to checking in, wish they had just sent me a form letter SMH. What DO those fees pay for exactly?!)

I've applied to grad school before, been looking for the right fit for SO LONG but never received the right mix of A) funding offer that made it financially feasible for me to attend + a school I felt really excited about. In 2017 I rejected an admission offer from Tyler sculpture—feel free to ask me about the interview process—basically it involved delivering an in-person lecture about my work to the MFA sculpture faculty and students, and they ask questions round-table style like a crit (that's right--a crit with strangers to prove your aptitude, about as awkward and stressful as you can imagine). This year I finally shifted my process of only applying to schools with better funding ops, and doing way better research rather than relying on hype and reputation, I'm hoping for a great fit. Some, like Alfred, even offer a full tuition waiver and stipend, plus insane top of the line facilities and teaching opportunities.  

Good luck out there everyone!! This is a wild process :)

You said you didn't choose Tyler sculpture, was it because of the funding? 

8 hours ago, MellonHead said:

For those waiting I heard back from SAIC with a rejection (and a suggestion to interview for the Post-Bac, anyone with experience with that?) on Thursday (feb 13)

Has anyone heard from VCU Painting or Hunter or Pratt? 

Hey, I heard last week that I'm waitlisted for VCU Painting 

Was your rejection from SAIC through mail or email? I haven't heard anything but also didn't get an interview...

*Edit: I tried to quote the comment from above talking about SAIC rejection but it didn't work and now I can't delete this comment.

Edited by B_Montague

13 hours ago, MellonHead said:

For those waiting I heard back from SAIC with a rejection (and a suggestion to interview for the Post-Bac, anyone with experience with that?) on Thursday (feb 13)

Pratt Interviews went out last week 

18 hours ago, MellonHead said:

hi! jumping into this thread to answer this question.  i did post-bac at SAIC, and it was an AMAZING decision.  my post bac year was incredibly transformative and super fun. i am still in contact with my post-bac cohort, many of whom actually went on to do their mfas at SAIC. if you take advantage of the program it’ll give you the resources to continue on to competitive mfa programs (if you want), or it’ll help you bypass that step altogether and declare yourself a fully fledged artist without mfa.

obviously if you’re paying out of pocket,  SAIC is mind numbingly expensive. but if you have the resources or were given aid i recommend it, especially if you’re not sure what school is actually a good fit for you or if you’re uncertain about this whole thing.