MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

1 hour ago, zzc said:

So I feel Slade is more attractive to me because there’s much more you can study in UCL outside of art courses? And also the program itself seems to be much smaller than RCA one. Also it’s cheaper... you should have more information on this if you go to open days for both schools haha since you’re in London. Eventually I think it depends on whether you have a professor you want to work with in the program. 

I moved out London few years ago after I graduated. I live in Asia so its not easy for me just go to an open day in EU/US

I think only MA would be allowed to study other course in UCL (I applied MFA)

29 minutes ago, Noir said:

I moved out London few years ago after I graduated. I live in Asia so its not easy for me just go to an open day in EU/US

I think only MA would be allowed to study other course in UCL (I applied MFA)

Really? That doesn’t sound right to me though. Like literally in their own promotional videos the students were like the great thing about UCL is that you can have access to so many other classes. It’s like a default thing in MFA programs in other universities. Also you can always audit. 

5 hours ago, aniben3 said:

Accepted to SAIC this morning via email because I'm abroad! If anyone is waiting on SAIC, you should be hearing soon!

My list as of now:
Cranbrook: interviewed, accepted w/ scholarship
SAIC: interviewed, accepted with TA position
University of Oregon: interviewed & waiting for results
VCU: nothing yet
Tyler: nothing yet, assuming rejection
University of Iowa: nothing yet

Has anyone heard from VCU for the craft & material studies area?

Congrats on the acceptance and TA position!

I interviewed with VCU Craft and Material studies about two weeks ago. 

"I interviewed with VCU material studies back in January and they placed me on the waitlist shortly after." 

"I interviewed with VCU Craft and Material studies about two weeks ago."

@Nonameguy101 @HydroHydra Thanks for the info! Looks like that's a rejection for me from them then as I haven't received any emails. (Did you receive emails, or is there some mysterious online portal I'm missing?) Oh well! You win some, you lose some! LOL 

19 minutes ago, MYJ2020 said:

For those who interviewed-did you write a follow up thank you email? I know the faculty’s emails are usually on the schools website, but I’m not sure if it’s strange just to shoot them emails....

I have this question too. I had interview with SAIC last week. I never wrote a follow up email. Now I am wondering if I should have... ?

13 hours ago, latenightlatte said:

I received the same email... I have no idea what any of this means but I was accepted last go around and didn’t get hub login until after my acceptance. I’m not sure if it’s an auto generated it thing each year for prospective or is a good sign. I suppose we could call and ask but I wasn’t aware interview requests had gone out yet so was just going to sit on it as a fluke?

(painting dept for me, sorry for not mentioning)

Hey, thanks so much for the insight! I have no idea what it means either, but we'll see haha. :) 

Hi y’all, Bubby here!

this has been really helpful throughout this experience and I figured I’d post some updates on my application status and announcement dates for the people who are looking into this next year. I applied to three schools for painting:

Yale: 

received letter of invitation for interview (1/28) although other departments heard back later. It got back to me over email in the form of an update on my application status. 

interviews are scheduled for 1/17-1/21

currently waiting on result

Bard:

received letter of invitation for interview (2/11) and I believe all departments found out on same day. It got back to me over email in the form of an update to my application status.

interviews are held 3/7. You basically fill out a form to confirm your attendance and they come up with a time and let you know (2/19)

UCLA: as of yet, I have heard nothing. If anyone’s heard anything about this, aside from the new genres announcement a few weeks back, do let me know! 

Anyway that’s it for me so far, thanks again to everyone for all the contributions and solidarity. 

-bubby

UCI- Rejected (just got the update from their website)

UCLA-Waititing

Yale- Rejected

MECA (Low-Res) Accepted. ($15k Scholarship for each of the program) 

I'm still not very excited getting $30k in debt. Any solid recommendation for scholarships' website?

update of my list!:

yale- rejected
cornell- no response
goldsmiths- no response

Uark- theyre asking for more funding to open a non-medium specific spot for me (but I am going to email them and let them know I wont be going:-( )

rutgers- rejected but invited for march skype interview for design
purchase mfa+ma- invited for mfa interview in march 

saic vcs- accepted

On 2/20/2020 at 2:43 PM, Interdisartmfa said:

Hi tomato potato- did you have the interview with the Rutgers Design dept? I also was invited to interview for their MFAD program after applying to MFA Art, very curious about this...good luck with all!

No i havent!!
Me too, i really like their website and how they were describing their missions/values,etc
not sure if my art practice actually seek for those things tho
good luck to you too!

15 hours ago, Jns said:

UCLA-Waititing

Yale- Rejected

I'm still not very excited getting $30k in debt. Any solid recommendation for scholarships' website?

meca mfa low/ full res is such a good program!!!! congrats!!!!

On 2/21/2020 at 9:06 AM, MYJ2020 said:

For those who interviewed-did you write a follow up thank you email? I know the faculty’s emails are usually on the schools website, but I’m not sure if it’s strange just to shoot them emails....

Yes absolutely write emails! It's totally normal to take the addresses off of a website, and best to send the emails within 24 hours if interviewing. Lots of info about what to write is available online. Good to send individual emails to each Prof if possible 

On 2/15/2020 at 11:33 AM, rag124 said:

On Slideroom - I applied in 2018 and did not get an interview, and the MFA disappeared around the time the interviews went out. This year I got an interview and the MFA is still there. I am attaching a screenshot... It is not a nice way to find out indeed, but if you need to make some decisions by a certain date it's good to have closure, or at least it was good for me at the time.

Since I am on the topic I should note I am glad I waited and re-applied. This year it was so much easier to navigate applications and interviews and to wrap my head around the decision I am about to make when it's not my first application season. Happy to answer questions about this to the best of my ability. 

screenshot.jpg

congrats!! What do you think is the change that made you get to the interview compare to the previous application?? : ) 

No luck for me this time but I'll try again.

On 2/21/2020 at 5:17 PM, Jns said:

UCLA-Waititing

Yale- Rejected

Congrats! I also got into MECA low residency program!  Still waiting on scholarship info, they said they couldn't give me that info over the phone so I am waiting on snail mail ? 

On 2/22/2020 at 11:59 AM, tomato potato said:

No i havent!!
Me too, i really like their website and how they were describing their missions/values,etc
not sure if my art practice actually seek for those things tho
good luck to you too!

Yeah I feel like its more commercial than what I'm aiming for, grad school is such a big decision in my opinion, and to go for an MFAD when I have planned to get my MFA in visual art for years doesn't feel right to me, also like no funding I think! Seems like they are trying to improve their design dept. that's my take at least. I hope your interview goes well, mine is March 2nd, should be interesting!

On 2/19/2020 at 6:15 PM, willow j said:

Did Indiana accept you after the interview? (How did you get your acceptance?)

Also, what discipline did you apply to?

Thanks!

So I applied for Digital Art and I had a Skype conversation with one of the tenured professors a little over a week before I was accepted. I got an email with my offer and then the same thing in the mail a few days later. They did say they are doing several rounds though for all areas (and one of my friends did receive a rejection for painting) so if you haven't heard anything that could be a good sign.

IU Digital Art - Accepted (2/13 via email, letter in the mail a couple of days later)

UCR - Interviewed 2/14 - Rejected via email

UCSD - Rejected via app portal

SAIC (Printmedia, Sculpture, FVNMA) - Rejected via letters in the mail

UCI (Electronic Art & Design) - Rejected via app portal

UIC (New media), Illinois (New Media), Purchase - Crickets

On 2/20/2020 at 9:11 PM, xzg said:

Hi! Anyone here know much about UCR's fine art program, or have friends who studied there? Recently offered a place, however I am living overseas and unable to visit the campus, wondering if anyone can provide some related experiences? Thank you!

(I applied with a painting focused portfolio)

@xzg I was also offered a spot for fall 2020 and can’t visit before the date they want us to commit by. I know someone doing performance there and am going to meet up with her next week in NYC. I can pass on info if you’d like. 

I applied with a drawing/ painting focus. My friend got in as well with a focus on film but very up in the air if either of us will accept. Still waiting to hear back from our top choices.

Things I’ve already been told by a past UCR MFA student: 

The studios are massive & have sky lights. The facilities are good and they just put in a printmaking shop. 

Its a small group (4 each year, 12 total) so the experience rly depends on who else is in your cohort. This also means you get a lot of time to work with the faculty that u want to (who are very committed and seems to rly care about being involved) which can be rare for MFA programs. 

The ppl there tend to focus on the act of making so if your practice is more conceptual or research based you might not love it. 

There are some fees that the tuition waiver doesn’t cover. 

A lot of ppl live in LA and commute in. 

Edited by paintpaintpaintpaint

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can share any info/experience with UTK. 
Would love to talk to any current students about their experiences/thoughts. 
Also going to visit next week if anyone is around. 

Thanks to everyone for sharing info, its been helpful to read this forum ?

31 minutes ago, Sro5000 said:

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can share any info/experience with UTK. 
Would love to talk to any current students about their experiences/thoughts. 
Also going to visit next week if anyone is around. 

Thanks to everyone for sharing info, its been helpful to read this forum ?

I just visited their printmaking department! I really enjoyed my visit :) I'd be happy to share whatever you may want to know to the extent of my ability. You applied to painting though, right? It may be even better to ask current painting candidates while you're there.

4 hours ago, M3R71N said:

So I applied for Digital Art and I had a Skype conversation with one of the tenured professors a little over a week before I was accepted. I got an email with my offer and then the same thing in the mail a few days later. They did say they are doing several rounds though for all areas (and one of my friends did receive a rejection for painting) so if you haven't heard anything that could be a good sign.

Congrats on your acceptance!! Thanks so much for replying!! I had my interview with Indiana for painting and haven't heard anything since. Also, got rejected from UCI via portal a few days ago. Once I saw the email, I knew it was gonna be a 'no just from the phrasing 

5 hours ago, paintpaintpaintpaint said:

@xzg I was also offered a spot for fall 2020 and can’t visit before the date they want us to commit by. I know someone doing performance there and am going to meet up with her next week in NYC. I can pass on info if you’d like. 

I applied with a drawing/ painting focus. My friend got in as well with a focus on film but very up in the air if either of us will accept. Still waiting to hear back from our top choices.

Things I’ve already been told by a past UCR MFA student: 

The studios are massive & have sky lights. The facilities are good and they just put in a printmaking shop. 

Its a small group (4 each year, 12 total) so the experience rly depends on who else is in your cohort. This also means you get a lot of time to work with the faculty that u want to (who are very committed and seems to rly care about being involved) which can be rare for MFA programs. 

The ppl there tend to focus on the act of making so if your practice is more conceptual or research based you might not love it. 

There are some fees that the tuition waiver doesn’t cover. 

A lot of ppl live in LA and commute in. 

Thank you for the info. Yeah I have heard the same thing about a the studio size and student faculty ratio. For sure, it would be great to learn more from your performance friend. Thanks again, good luck to the rest of the application process!