MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

On 2/18/2020 at 7:51 AM, B_Montague said:

Was your rejection from SAIC through mail or email? I haven't heard anything but also didn't get an interview...

*Edit: I tried to quote the comment from above talking about SAIC rejection but it didn't work and now I can't delete this comment.

The rejection was through email from Noelle

On 2/15/2020 at 2:53 PM, M3R71N said:

So far:

IU - Accepted

UCR - Interviewed

UCSD - Rejected

SAIC, UIC, UCI, Illinois, Purchase - Crickets

Did Indiana accept you after the interview? (How did you get your acceptance?)

Also, what discipline did you apply to?

Thanks!

Edited by willow june

48 minutes ago, B_Montague said:

Do schools ever get annoyed when you send emails to check on the application process? Or is it pretty much always ok...

Just be tactful and feel it out I think... I emailed UArk to ask how many people I was sharing the finalist pool with, but I was really hoping it would result in a progress update. The head of the department that I was in contact with was also really friendly and had been enthusiastic about communicating, so I felt it would be okay. My communications with Tyler, on the other hand, have been kind of cold and I didn't get a response at all to my post-interview "thank you" email... So I probably wouldn't have felt comfortable asking for a status update from them. Thats my 2 cents

1 hour ago, B_Montague said:

Do schools ever get annoyed when you send emails to check on the application process? Or is it pretty much always ok...

i'm also wondering this... i was granted acceptance to my second choice school and have to respond by next week, but my first choice school has been radio silent...

While I'm here:

UArk Drawing: Accepted via phone call 2/19 -- full tuition + 19k/yr.
PAFA: Accepted via phone call 2/6 -- 42k total scholarship
New York Academy of Art: Accepted via email 2/13 -- 30k total scholarship

Tyler Painting: Waitlisted 2/4
SAIC Painting: Interviewed 2/16, awaiting response
UNC Chapel Hill: awaiting response
UMiss: awaiting response
VCU painting: no response, assumed rejection

1 minute ago, nbh said:

While I'm here:

UArk Drawing: Accepted via phone call 2/19 -- full tuition + 19k/yr.
PAFA: Accepted via phone call 2/6 -- 42k total scholarship
New York Academy of Art: Accepted via email 2/13 -- 30k total scholarship

Tyler Painting: Waitlisted 2/4
SAIC Painting: Interviewed 2/16, awaiting response
UNC Chapel Hill: awaiting response
UMiss: awaiting response
VCU painting: no response, assumed rejection

congrats on your acceptances, that's awesome!! which one are you leaning towards?

Just now, janelane2 said:

congrats on your acceptances, that's awesome!! which one are you leaning towards?

Pretty confident I'll accept UArk's offer after I visit in March. I've fallen in love with their program, professors, current MFA student work, etc... Seems like the program is really blossoming right now and as a Southerner myself that's really exciting. The financial package is unbeatable too... I really didn't think I'd make the cut!

Hiya! Congrats to those receiving interview requests for Colombia! 

For anyone wondering if the 'MFA' being removed from their Slideroom app is a thing, it's been removed from my app in Slideroom today and I have not received an interview request. I applied for New Genres. I guess its a no for me :) Such a sneaky method, but I feel happy to have another answer. 

Edited by hht
typo

3 minutes ago, nbh said:

Pretty confident I'll accept UArk's offer after I visit in March. I've fallen in love with their program, professors, current MFA student work, etc... Seems like the program is really blossoming right now and as a Southerner myself that's really exciting. The financial package is unbeatable too... I really didn't think I'd make the cut!

that's so awesome. happy for you! that's a great funding package!

23 minutes ago, janelane2 said:

that's so awesome. happy for you! that's a great funding package!

Thanks - hoping for happy outcomes for you too! What were the 1st and 2nd choice schools you referred to?

16 minutes ago, nbh said:

Thanks - hoping for happy outcomes for you too! What were the 1st and 2nd choice schools you referred to?

all schools in canada: first western, second york. also got waitlisted by the university of guelph. york has great facilities and really kind faculty members--everyone i talked to at my campus visit there was so nice and the vibe was really good. their funding package was also not bad, but i really can't afford toronto rent and would ideally not want to live with 10 roommates in a basement eating nothing but oatmeal for 2 years... lol...

Edited by janelane2

Just now, aniben3 said:

"but i really can't afford toronto rent and would ideally not want to live with 10 roommates in a basement eating nothing but oatmeal for 2 years... lol..."

This is a BIG MOOD, @janelane2, I relate so hard. This whole process has made me realize how unwilling I am to live like that. 

hokkaido person who works in fibre.... i think i follow you on instagram!! hahaha

having also lived alone in a fishing town in the middle of nowhere for the past two years, i really don't want to live that life, even though i love toronto/big cities. i would much rather live in a smaller town nearby and just drive into the city for openings or whatever.

4 hours ago, zzc said:

Columbia Visual Arts just sent out invitations for interviews. Has anyone received it? 

Do you know what disciplines are these invitations for? I know all disciplines at Columbia send out their invites at different times. Also, if anyone need to hear back from MIT, the interviews will take place this week. 

7 minutes ago, janelane2 said:

hokkaido person who works in fibre.... i think i follow you on instagram!! hahaha

having also lived alone in a fishing town in the middle of nowhere for the past two years, i really don't want to live that life, even though i love toronto/big cities. i would much rather live in a smaller town nearby and just drive into the city for openings or whatever.

OMG seriously? adfasfasdfsafjljfasj that's hilarious??? 

There's definitely a trade-off, like, live in a small town? But have a decent standard of living. Vs paying absolutely ridiculous amounts of rent. My part of Hokkaido is incredibly remote, so I'm also ready for a change. 

I'm trying to go for a happy medium and live in a small city. 

51 minutes ago, Googlyeyes said:

Which discipline ?

46 minutes ago, mfa2020 said:

Do you know what disciplines are these invitations for? I know all disciplines at Columbia send out their invites at different times. Also, if anyone need to hear back from MIT, the interviews will take place this week. 

Moving Image