MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

21 hours ago, aniben3 said:

I live abroad so I'm unable to visit, so first I got an email, and then I had a skype interview, so I'm afraid I can't help with that. However, it's a good sign that they want to talk to you, and that's what I was told during my interview. They don't talk to candidates they don't think would be a good fit for the program. 

That's helpful, thanks! Hope you had a good interview. 

Hi UT Austin applicants! Keep an ear out for phone calls for interviews. I received one tonight from a 512 number.

If anyone hadms any experience with/info on the program, I'd appreciate it! I don't know a ton.

hi all, been lurking and learning a lot and these updates have been so helpful and figured I should contribute.

interviewed at UC Berkeley (the whole program is interdisciplinary)

accepted at ASU (Intermedia)

rejected from Yale (sculpture)

still waiting on the rest!

Edited by breadbreadbread
completeness

4 hours ago, Nonameguy101 said:

Has anyone heard from UC Davis?

I did a short phone interview with them on Wednesday. They emailed me two days before with a list of questions to pick 2-3 from to answer about one piece from my portfolio, in a less than 10 min timeframe.

I applied to a bunch of the UCs, but they're the only ones I've heard anything from so far. Has anyone heard from UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSB, UCSD, or UC Irvine yet? 

38 minutes ago, Strawberrycat said:

I did a short phone interview with them on Wednesday. They emailed me two days before with a list of questions to pick 2-3 from to answer about one piece from my portfolio, in a less than 10 min timeframe.

I applied to a bunch of the UCs, but they're the only ones I've heard anything from so far. Has anyone heard from UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSB, UCSD, or UC Irvine yet? 

Hi Strawberrycat! I applied to UCSD and have not heard a peep from them and considering the deadlines were in the beginning of January. I know someone that got their MFA from there and they said that UCSD sends out interview requests between late Jan and early Feb, so hopefully very soon. Best of luck! 

9 minutes ago, SeriouslyStellar said:

Hi Strawberrycat! I applied to UCSD and have not heard a peep from them and considering the deadlines were in the beginning of January. I know someone that got their MFA from there and they said that UCSD sends out interview requests between late Jan and early Feb, so hopefully very soon. Best of luck! 

Hi there, thanks so much! That's what I was guessing, but wasn't sure! Did the person you know enjoy the program? Best of luck to you, too! 

2 minutes ago, Strawberrycat said:

Hi there, thanks so much! That's what I was guessing, but wasn't sure! Did the person you know enjoy the program? Best of luck to you, too! 

They had mostly positives things to say about the program, professors, the city itself, people living there having progressive views and/or aware about local/global issues and mentioned no regrets in selecting UCSD for an MFA. It was very assuring to know what kind of atmosphere I would be surrounded by if I were an MFA candidate living there. 

2 hours ago, SeriouslyStellar said:

They had mostly positives things to say about the program, professors, the city itself, people living there having progressive views and/or aware about local/global issues and mentioned no regrets in selecting UCSD for an MFA. It was very assuring to know what kind of atmosphere I would be surrounded by if I were an MFA candidate living there. 

Oooh, that's good to hear for sure. All important things to consider. 

3 hours ago, anxiouslywaiting27 said:

Do you know if this is for everyone? I applied for painting! What did you apply for?

1 hour ago, rag124 said:

Oh my god - photography. So sorry I did not specify! I do not know if it is for everyone.

I was under the impression Rutgers didn't have emphasis areas, wouldn't all the emails go out at the same time?  

Edited by fri3nder
added quotes

21 minutes ago, songbirdy327 said:

For other people who have applied for Arkansas - did any of you have a follow up conversation? I just received an email asking to have another follow-up talk. What does this mean??? I'm terrified that they just want to explain to me why I'm not being accepted...

I would be excited! Maybe it means they narrowed down the original finalist pool to an even smaller one and you're in it? Can't imagine they'd go to all that effort to reject you.

1 minute ago, nbh said:

I would be excited! Maybe it means they narrowed down the original finalist pool to an even smaller one and you're in it? Can't imagine they'd go to all that effort to reject you.

I hope you're right!!! It's unexpected, they said nothing implied last time that there would be another round, and they were only interviewing six people I believe. But even if interviews give me intense anxiety, it's worth it to get one step closer. Thank you! 

1 hour ago, fri3nder said:

I was under the impression Rutgers didn't have emphasis areas, wouldn't all the emails go out at the same time?  

I re-read the e-mail and it says "Graduate Visual Arts Interview Day" so my guess is that this e-mail went out to everyone but I am not sure. 

No need to prepare—the call is a simple follow-up to share next steps and answer any additional questions that you may have!

^This is the response I received when asking if I was having a second-round interview. I'm thinking maybe I've been waitlisted? I'm not sure what to think from this reply...my heart is SO anxious right now, it's killing me...