MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

1 minute ago, MIQI said:

Hi! Which department are you applying to? The experience may vary if the department is different. Mine was quite chill, lasted for 20 minutes as expected. They asked me to talk about a piece of work in the portfolio of my choosing, what artists/exhibitions am I looking at, why UTK, etc. All standard questions.

It was my first interview too and I was nervous, but if you come prepared you'll be fine!! Good luck.

Thank you, that is helpful! My interview is with the painting department, how about you?

23 hours ago, nevermind777 said:

Also rejected for an interview but was encouraged by the faculty to reapply. Good luck to everyone!!

I also got rejected from Yale printmaking and painting department.

Just curious , did the rejection on the application stastus says you should reapply? I never knew they send different comments on their rejection letter. It is bit disappointing then, considering mine when there is nothing about reapplyig.

OSU: Interviewed and now waitlisted

UofArkansas: interviewed last week and they said they will have an answer by the end of this week 

UGA (top choice): Interviewed  - they said that their will be another interview with other faculty and should be scheduled next week. They only accept 12 grad student for the entire MFA program.

Edited by hinata

2 hours ago, hinata said:

OSU: Interviewed and now waitlisted

UofArkansas: interviewed last week and they said they will have an answer by the end of this week 

UGA (top choice): Interviewed  - they said that their will be another interview with other faculty and should be scheduled next week. They only accept 12 grad student for the entire MFA program.

Which concentration at UArk did you apply for? I interviewed for Drawing yesterday and they told me to expect an answer “within the month”

Letting myself get very anxious about interviews and hearing back from schools. I've had an interview for Arizona State University and they said they didn't really have a time line to getting back to me just as soon as they knew they'd let me know! I also have an interview for MICA for painting next week and I'm super nervous about it. I haven't heard from any other schools yet. I applied to Tyler and I see that they've already sent out interview requests so I'm just thinking that's a rejection. 

I also applied to 

Cranbrook 

RISD

University of Washington 

Tulane 

Rutgers 

Thinking I maybe should have applied to some more schools now, but guess there's always next year if I don't get in. 

22 hours ago, solsosls said:

I also got rejected from Yale printmaking and painting department.

Just curious , did the rejection on the application stastus says you should reapply? I never knew they send different comments on their rejection letter. It is bit disappointing then, considering mine when there is nothing about reapplyig.

It was in the rejection letter.  I wouldn't be too discouraged. I also had no idea that they included different comments ... I'm sure that MFA students at Yale have been rejected and then later accepted even without advisement to reapply.

Edited by nevermind777

22 minutes ago, nevermind777 said:

It was in the rejection letter.  I wouldn't be too discouraged. I also had no idea that they included different comments ... I'm sure that MFA students at Yale have been rejected and then later accepted even without advisement to reapply.

yes, I hope next time I will have a chance. I think I will try again maybe two years later, as lacking experiences outside school can be one of the problem, since I'm graduating my BFA this year. In addition, do you have any website where you present your works?

4 hours ago, itswei said:

Hello, just wondering if there are any MFA Printmaking applicants here.  

I am! I only applied to a four programs, as it was a rather last minute decision. I just interviewed with Arkansas today, which is my top choice. I've also applied for UGA, Tulane, and VCU, but haven't heard from any of them yet. I saw someone else has already interviewed with UGA so I'm not optimistic...

Where did you apply? Nice to find a fellow printmaker! :)

2 hours ago, songbirdy327 said:

I am! I only applied to a four programs, as it was a rather last minute decision. I just interviewed with Arkansas today, which is my top choice. I've also applied for UGA, Tulane, and VCU, but haven't heard from any of them yet. I saw someone else has already interviewed with UGA so I'm not optimistic...

Hiiiiii, yes! Seems like there aren’t much printmakers out there. Good luck on your Arkansas application, I heard they have a great program. I applied 4 programs: Yale, RISD, Pratt and Columbia. No luck on Yale and still waiting on others.

37 minutes ago, itswei said:

Hiiiiii, yes! Seems like there aren’t much printmakers out there. Good luck on your Arkansas application, I heard they have a great program. I applied 4 programs: Yale, RISD, Pratt and Columbia. No luck on Yale and still waiting on others.

Good luck to you as well! The Arkansas print department is really new, so it's not that impressive in terms of facilities - but the whole department is growing really rapidly, and has incredible funding, which was the decisive factor in where I applied. I also just liked the atmosphere very much when I visited. Fingers crossed! :)

I hope you hear back from your other schools soon! It's so nerve-racking isn't it...

hey, fiber artist here! I haven't seen anyone else in this thread who is, but I applied to VCU, Cranbrook, SAIC, Tyler, University of Oregon, and University of Iowa. I've got an interview with Cranbrook & SAIC, but haven't heard anything from the others. 

2 hours ago, itswei said:

I also applied to Columbia Printmaking program ! Do you know when they usually send out feedbacks? 

I just got my rejection letter from Yale - pretty disappointed I must admit! I applied for painting/printmaking, first time applicant. Will try again next year and will try my best to improve on my portfolio. Would anyone who was accepted be so kind to show me your work? Do you know how Yale makes their selection?

14 hours ago, itswei said:

Hello, just wondering if there are any MFA Printmaking applicants here.  

9 hours ago, songbirdy327 said:

Printmaker here as well :) I applied to mostly interdisciplinary programs, but also a couple printmaking-specific ones like UTK and Tyler. 

Edited by MIQI
typo

10 hours ago, Yunazin said:

Congratulation! I’m still waiting any word from SAIC :( 
I’m sure you’ll be great in your interview. Good luck!

Thank you! What departments did you apply for? Each dept. has diff timelines, so I hope you get your call (or letter/e-mail)! Good luck to you too!

Hi Cubby, I’m Bubby! 

I think the best thing to do is email, or less abrasively call in and ask anonymously using an app like Rebtel. 

Hope this works out and good luck on Penn!

-bubby 

On 1/15/2020 at 12:25 PM, cubby said:

Hello! Does anyone know how common it is for schools to give you news/interview invites over the phone? I am going to be abroad with no cell service for the next month and I am wondering if I need to be worried about missing calls. Is it a good idea to email the schools I applied to and let them know that I can't be reached by phone? Would really appreciate any advice!

Received the SAIC interview requests for both FVNMA and Art&Tech via email ! But did not receive the mail version they mentioned in email yet lol. Flight to Chicago kinda expensive but I think it is worth it to check out. Looking forward to see all of you who will be there at mid Feb:)