Statement Woes

justacigar

Hi everyone!

Not really here for advice or with a specific question, i'm just reallllyy feeling the stress of writing SOP's and need to vent/find some camaraderie with other folks prepping for applications. I was feeling somewhat confident about my statement until I received some feedback from a current mentor, who basically ripped it apart lol. Her comments make sense, and I definitely trust her opinions and am working to incorporate her overall ideas. BUT I'm starting to feel burnt out and tired from this whole process. At the end of the day, we have to write what resonates with us, but every time I re-read my statement it looks more and more elementary. I'm ready to just submit and be done with it! 

Anyone else in the same boat? 

Edited by justacigar

I feel you! I'm on my 3rd round of edits for my SOP. Do you have another mentor that could take a look at it? Sometimes it helps to have more than one pair of eyes on it. Not discounting your current mentor, but in the end, sometimes it just comes down to preference. In the end, you want it to still be your own words--not someone else's.

26 minutes ago, bri j. said:

I feel you! I'm on my 3rd round of edits for my SOP. Do you have another mentor that could take a look at it? Sometimes it helps to have more than one pair of eyes on it. Not discounting your current mentor, but in the end, sometimes it just comes down to preference. In the end, you want it to still be your own words--not someone else's.

Totally agree. I think my mistake has actually been asking too many people to look and help ? which is maybe even worse than not enough! I've gotten some feedback that is was overall really strong, some that suggested lots of edits, but this is the first person to totally rip it apart lol

Definitely feels like the edits are never-ending! And I'm sure even once we submit the SOP we'll still think of things to change.

Everyone will give you different feedback; it definitely helps to have multiple sets of eyes on the document. At the end, you want to tell your story the way you want to tell it while realizing that this is one of easily dozens your POI could read, so you want to toe the line to not be too cliche, boring, or (on the flip side) hyperbolic. 

I completely rewrote my statement from scratch 3 times before I ended up with something I'm satisfied with. Don't be afraid to start over if you've gotten some good direction. Also, showing it to multiple people is really helpful-- you'll know when you're almost there when the suggestions for revision become increasingly minor. 

If you're feeling burned out, just put the statement away for a week or two and commit to not even looking at it. Go back in with fresh eyes later and your revisions will be much more productive.

Edited by imemine

5 hours ago, justacigar said:

Hi everyone!

Not really here for advice or with a specific question, i'm just reallllyy feeling the stress of writing SOP's and need to vent/find some camaraderie with other folks prepping for applications. I was feeling somewhat confident about my statement until I received some feedback from a current mentor, who basically ripped it apart lol. Her comments make sense, and I definitely trust her opinions and am working to incorporate her overall ideas. BUT I'm starting to feel burnt out and tired from this whole process. At the end of the day, we have to write what resonates with us, but every time I re-read my statement it looks more and more elementary. I'm ready to just submit and be done with it! 

Anyone else in the same boat? 

I feel you... Applications take a lot out of a person! Hopefully it will all be worth it in the end :)

I so feel this! I started apps the minute they opened and I would have them all in if it weren't for the SOP stress. I have one that is limited to 650 words and UCK. If you ever want to trade SOPs and give each other advice, I'd be happy to!

2 hours ago, arispawgld said:

I so feel this! I started apps the minute they opened and I would have them all in if it weren't for the SOP stress. I have one that is limited to 650 words and UCK. If you ever want to trade SOPs and give each other advice, I'd be happy to!

The low word counts are killer! Two of my programs are 500 words. WTF? So short!

Thanks for the offer, I will definitely keep that in mind as mine come together! 

23 hours ago, justacigar said:

The low word counts are killer! Two of my programs are 500 words. WTF? So short!

Thanks for the offer, I will definitely keep that in mind as mine come together! 

I agree— it's so hard to squish everything into 500 words. That being said, I wrote one 500 word letter and one two page letter and I think the shorter one reads better. The word limit really forces a concise, focused letter.

On 11/1/2019 at 5:14 PM, arispawgld said:

I’d be happy to trade as well