MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

Just now, NicoleDes said:

That’s so weird. I called the same number and asked if I could give her my name or reference number and she said that she wouldn’t be able to give me information. She was really nice as well though. Maybe I should’ve just said my name to begin with. 

Ugh. Maybe it just depends on the mood of the person that day honestly :-(. This is so frustrating though. I feel for you ❤️ 

2 minutes ago, Large Iced Coffee said:

Ugh. Maybe it just depends on the mood of the person that day honestly :-(. This is so frustrating though. I feel for you ❤️ 

Thank you, we’re all in this together ❤️

16 hours ago, DMSW20 said:

Hi, I'm new to the forum! I actually just received my acceptance email to USC. I applied on 11/18. The letter reads that I have up until Feb 13 to make decision, but I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I canextend. No changes have been made to my status in the admissions portal. Super excited, but I'm still waiting to hear back from UC schools before deciding!

15 hours ago, sw2020 said:

Welcome! Im new too :)

Congrats on your acceptance! I got accepted today as well but I didn't see any scholarships and was wondering if you got any? I was also considering to call tomorrow and extend as well because its way too soon. 

Congrats on your acceptances!! How did you guys hear back? Did they give you a call, send an email, or via snail mail? Also, when did y'all apply?

On 12/5/2019 at 10:04 AM, Zayah said:

Yay! Just got accepted into Rutger's University! Is anyone from the NJ area??

Hey Zayah! How quickly was the turnaround rate for RU? 

37 minutes ago, avizenoi96 said:

Assuming no one has heard from CU on 1/31 yet? 

Nothing yet. Hoping it hits when I'm not even thinking about it. That's what happened this past Saturday evening when I received a decision from UChicago with a glass of wine in hand :)

2 hours ago, MSWHopeful123 said:

For those accepted to CU, would anyone mind sharing if/how much scholarship you received? Trying to gauge the reasonableness of it all...

8k/semester, renewable 

10 hours ago, MSWHopeful123 said:

Congrats on your acceptances!! How did you guys hear back? Did they give you a call, send an email, or via snail mail? Also, when did y'all apply?

I received it through email! I applied by the November 18th deadline.

7 hours ago, RoseLewis said:

Just got accepted into USC! Anyone have info on scholarships? Didn't see any info about it in the letter 

congrats!! and nope :( hopefully it will come in a couple days or so!

13 hours ago, ASMSW20 said:

I applied to UT Austin, SDSU, UC Berkeley, and Loyola University Chicago. Kind of all over the place with where I applied ?‍♀️What about you?

oh nice! I applied to University of Chicago, USC, UCLA, Columbia and NYU. Ive been accepted to University of Chicago and USC so far, haven't heard from others yet. Are you considering USC as your number one choice?

Delving into finances more seriously RE getting a dual degree... current solution is “maybe Bernie or Liz will actually succeed in cancelling my debt and I won’t have to worry about this!!!” 

Any better ideas? ?

Edited by Mmgaf

On 1/31/2020 at 6:11 PM, Allanaj said:

Do those of you who got into Columbia mind sharing your stats? Or tips! Thanks ❤️

In my application I made sure to do a lot of research on the program and talked about the interests of specific professors I was excited to learn from/work with. Talked about multiple research labs I was interested in working in.  

Bachelors in psych, 3.8 GPA, presented my research conferences (emotional self-efficacy and resiliency of foster youth using a community based participatory research framework), TA (general psych and biological psych), currently program manager of a nonprofit, 7 years of volunteer mentoring with substance dependent youth and young adults, graduated with Deans Medal of excellence.  

2 hours ago, JuliaFrances said:

In my application I made sure to do a lot of research on the program and talked about the interests of specific professors I was excited to learn from/work with. Talked about multiple research labs I was interested in working in.  

Bachelors in psych, 3.8 GPA, presented my research conferences (emotional self-efficacy and resiliency of foster youth using a community based participatory research framework), TA (general psych and biological psych), currently program manager of a nonprofit, 7 years of volunteer mentoring with substance dependent youth and young adults, graduated with Deans Medal of excellence.  

you have such an excellent background!! congrats on your acceptance! hard work does pay off?

Hi HannahJoy and Zayah, 

That's actually not the whole story in regards to Ann Arbor. While it's true that Ann Arbor city proper is affluent and not very socioeconomically diverse, it borders Ypsilanti to the east, which is an incredible racially and socioeconomically diverse area. 30% of the residents in Ypsilanti live in poverty; 40% of those 18 and younger. The median family income is just shy of $36k. Ann Arbor is also only a 30 min drive east to Detroit, and just about everything off I-94 between Ypsilanti and Detroit is racially and socioeconomically diverse. Ann Arbor is a pocket of wealth, but it's closer to the exception in that area. Also, while Ann Arbor is reasonably populated, the city itself really isn't that big in terms of actual area, so you should expect to travel outside of Ann Arbor city proper for field placements, likely to places like Ypsilanti. 

How do I know all of this? I'm from Ypsilanti and I lived in Ann Arbor for 5 years before moving to Chicago a decade ago. I'm starting the AM program at UChicago SSA starting in the fall. Just for some perspective, for the UChicago field placements, I'm expected to be able to travel anywhere within the entire 228 square miles of Chicago city proper plus 44 surrounding suburbs. Ann Arbor, by comparison, is only 28 square miles. Considering the nature of the work we hope to do as social workers, it seems unlikely that your field placements would stay within that 28 square miles when the true southeastern MI diversity is outside of it. 

All of this is to say, don't discount UofM if you're into their program.

On 1/10/2020 at 9:29 AM, HannahJoy said:

Thanks Zayah, that's so kind! UChicago is my top pick, but only if I'm offered substantial financial aid. I'm not willing to go $70,000 into debt over a 1 year degree. UIC and IUPUI are priced similarly - even though UIC is out of state for me. Not sure which of those two I would pick if they are my main options. I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not I should stay in Indianapolis (mostly because of family/life circumstances, professionally it's a no brainer to move to Chicago). UofM I'm really not sure about. Great program obviously, but I really value city life and being surrounded by diversity and Ann Arbor is just so affluent. Racially diverse, sure, but not very diverse socioeconomically speaking. Time will tell! 

On 1/10/2020 at 9:38 AM, Zayah said:

All good points, and you're spot on about Ann arbor. Chicago is a great place for all of what you are looking for, so hoping you get in :)

Gotcha on the life circumstances, etc. Good thing is if you do not move - you do not have to worry about the crazy living prices here in Chicago.

I go back and forth about tuition fees all the time for grad school.

Hi HannahJoy and Zayah, 

That's actually not the whole story in regards to Ann Arbor. While it's true that Ann Arbor city proper is affluent and not very socioeconomically diverse, it borders Ypsilanti to the east, which is an incredible racially and socioeconomically diverse area. 30% of the residents in Ypsilanti live in poverty; 40% of those 18 and younger. The median family income is just shy of $36k. Ann Arbor is also only a 30 min drive east to Detroit, and just about everything off I-94 between Ypsilanti and Detroit is racially and socioeconomically diverse. Ann Arbor is a pocket of wealth, but it's closer to the exception in that area. Also, while Ann Arbor is reasonably populated, the city itself really isn't that big in terms of actual area, so you should expect to travel outside of Ann Arbor city proper for field placements, likely to places like Ypsilanti. 

How do I know all of this? I'm from Ypsilanti and I lived in Ann Arbor for 5 years before moving to Chicago a decade ago. I'm starting the AM program at UChicago SSA starting in the fall. Just for some perspective, for the UChicago field placements, I'm expected to be able to travel anywhere within the entire 228 square miles of Chicago city proper plus 44 surrounding suburbs. Ann Arbor, by comparison, is only 28 square miles. Considering the nature of the work we hope to do as social workers, it seems unlikely that your field placements would stay within that 28 square miles when the true southeastern MI diversity is outside of it. 

All of this is to say, don't discount UofM if you're into their program.