MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

17 hours ago, SMLDC said:

It's not, mainly because of cost (tuition + cost of living). I have always been drawn to the program itself though. If I miraculously get a generous scholarship package, maybe I'd reconsider it. If I were to end up at Columbia, there are some disciplines I'd like to explore like DBT and complicated grief. Also very interested in the Narrative Medicine program at Columbia, which I'd try to connect to if I were there.

I filled out the scholarship reconsideration form at Columbia and received alottttttt more in awards for the entire program. If you have a competing offer - you should definitely do this at CU if that is the program you see yourself at!

Edited by SWColumbia

9 minutes ago, amb22 said:

How do you guys go about negotiating for money? One school offered me a $40k scholarship and I’m trying to get CU to match that or at least give me something decent. Any advice? I have no idea how to go about this. Thanks guys!!!!

Most schools have an email address listed in their scholarship/aid offer that you can reach out to for reconsideration. Just email them and explain that you’re really interested in the school but the cost is prohibitive, and attach the competing offer letter to the email. 

14 hours ago, Manganos said:

Are you more interested in research or clinical? 

Both! My background is in research in social cognition. I want to be a sex therapist, focusing on trauma, relationships, and women's mental health. 

How did you all apply for a financial aid re-review at CU? 

52 minutes ago, amb22 said:

How do you guys go about negotiating for money? One school offered me a $40k scholarship and I’m trying to get CU to match that or at least give me something decent. Any advice? I have no idea how to go about this. Thanks guys!!!!

So there is a link that the FASFA team provided me, it is connected to your application.

Step 1:

Email : cssw-admit@columbia.edu  asking how you can submit a scholarship reconsideration form. I believe this is only likely to work if you have competing offers from other schools. 

Step 2:

They provide you with a link to submit your appeal.

Step 3:

Answer this question: "Please provide a detailed explanation for requesting increased financial assistance"

Break down the amount you were offered from CU, how much excess you will need to take out in loans for tuition, books, cost of living, and any other related expense you have to cover while in grad school. If you are quitting a full time job, explain how you will lose your income and how you are planning to pay for the program and what you need help with. Explain any competing offers, and how you want to attend this program but would need "xxx" amount to finalize your decision. Be specific and honest on how much you are looking for if you know the amount it will take for you to commit to the program.

***Lastly I do not encourage submitting an appeal unless you are seriously considering attending the program, as this could effect other serious candidates from losing out on scholarship aid, there are others still waiting to hear back on their admissions decision.****

The process does take 1-2 weeks.

Step 4:

Attach your competing scholarship offer.

@basw

@simonsays

@amb22

Edited by SWColumbia

On 2/8/2020 at 9:28 AM, MSWHopeful123 said:

Did you get accepted into the online programs there? I did and am experiencing the same frustration as you in that they won't provide the financial aid information without paying the non-refundable deposits. I feel like it's a bit sneaky and not very transparent of them in helping us to make the most responsible decision possible for our futures. I don't know, just venting I guess...

Hey! I actually decided to switch to the on campus program because of this. From my understanding, you can apply to more scholarships and the on campus has been more straightforward. The online admissions counselor has given me false information and when I hinted at switching programs, she called me back on a recorded line? it was all very strange. I also found out that the online program is run by a private company which is separate from the campus program....  I have received a lot of contradictory information so if not all of this is correct, i am sorry! but this is all that i have gathered! 

I have my interview with Penn in about 3 hours. What questions should I be asking them? I understand what they tend to ask me, but I want to make sure I interview them to get a good feel of whether I'd fit in.

Just now, madisonc7 said:

I have my interview with Penn in about 3 hours. What questions should I be asking them? I understand what they tend to ask me, but I want to make sure I interview them to get a good feel of whether I'd fit in.

I guess it depends on whats of major importance to you...personally I am a woman of color so ethnic and gender diversity is important to me when picking a program. In social work you need all types of perspectives so diversity of professors and students. Again, thats me though lol

2 minutes ago, Behaviorscience said:

I guess it depends on whats of major importance to you...personally I am a woman of color so ethnic and gender diversity is important to me when picking a program. In social work you need all types of perspectives so diversity of professors and students. Again, thats me though lol

Definitely. I guess I just want to make sure that I won't have to put in an unreasonable amount of work for what I want to do. Like NYU and Denver offer a study abroad in Mexico which is where my focus is for research, but UPenn doesn't. They do offer an individualized plan but like.. if that's going to take up so much of my time to even plan then is that worth it? Idk. I'm just nervous I'll sound so uninformed. 

2 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

Definitely. I guess I just want to make sure that I won't have to put in an unreasonable amount of work for what I want to do. Like NYU and Denver offer a study abroad in Mexico which is where my focus is for research, but UPenn doesn't. They do offer an individualized plan but like.. if that's going to take up so much of my time to even plan then is that worth it? Idk. I'm just nervous I'll sound so uninformed. 

If I understand you correctly I would bring that up, maybe what kinds of international studies program do you offer, if any? If that is what you really want to do and they don't offer it in any form it may not be worth it for you. I guess I am happy UChicago doesn't require an interview,it sounds nerve wracking! Write down your concerns

25 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

You could mention their Global Human Rights Certificate Program, and how it could provide a cross-cultural perspective on human right issues internationally. Also the courses within the program offered have focus on immigration, international social work in the global south, racism, etc.

https://www.sp2.upenn.edu/academics/certificate-programs-specializations/msw/global-human-rights-certificate/

6 minutes ago, SWColumbia said:

You could mention their Global Human Rights Certificate Program, and how it could provide a cross-cultural perspective on human right issues internationally. Also the courses within the program offered have focus on immigration, international social work in the global south, racism, etc.

https://www.sp2.upenn.edu/academics/certificate-programs-specializations/msw/global-human-rights-certificate/

That's what I think I may do. I'm nervous!! 

On 2/6/2020 at 10:27 AM, sebailes said:

Have you heard back from UNC yet? I'm obsessively checking my email/the portal!

I haven't heard anything yet. I really don't expect to until at least next week since they seem to be letting advanced standing students know first. But, I have been checking A LOT.