MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

Hey everyone, I know I'm very late to this convo but I just found this forum! Congrats to all of you on your acceptances! I have already been accepted to Denver (applied 1/31), NYU (applied 1/15), and Umich (applied 1/31) and having a lot of trouble deciding between them! I got scholarships from Denver and NYU so both would only be a little more expensive than umich (I'm in state so it's pretty cheap). My concentration is mental health (I'm debating switching it though) and I know umich is probably the best option for me but I really don't want to stay in MI for much longer, and I've heard that it's hard to move around after finishing grad school because of licensing. Does anyone know if that is true or have any advice?? 

Also, did anyone else apply to UTexas - Austin? I'm still waiting to hear back from them (and Columbia) 

3 hours ago, socwork2020 said:

Hey everyone, I know I'm very late to this convo but I just found this forum! Congrats to all of you on your acceptances! I have already been accepted to Denver (applied 1/31), NYU (applied 1/15), and Umich (applied 1/31) and having a lot of trouble deciding between them! I got scholarships from Denver and NYU so both would only be a little more expensive than umich (I'm in state so it's pretty cheap). My concentration is mental health (I'm debating switching it though) and I know umich is probably the best option for me but I really don't want to stay in MI for much longer, and I've heard that it's hard to move around after finishing grad school because of licensing. Does anyone know if that is true or have any advice?? 

Also, did anyone else apply to UTexas - Austin? I'm still waiting to hear back from them (and Columbia) 

My two cents: If you can get U of M with in-state tuition, it'll be hard to beat the value of that program. (Columbia tuition alone would be more than twice U of M in-state.) 

I haven't heard the same thing about licensing -- quite the opposite, actually. Especially at this top programs, you'll be prepared for licensing for different state exams. Personally, I plan to move back to DC after school so that my supervised training is where I plan to apply for my license. 

9 hours ago, socwork2020 said:

it’s varies for the licensing. from my understanding it’s pretty hard to transfer over if you’ve already obtained your license otherwise I don’t think you’d have a problem if you move and take your exam there as long as you’re able to get your prior supervisors to submit their stuff. i’d call ASWB in the state you’re considering going to school to ask some info!

On 2/8/2020 at 5:54 PM, LivtheLeo said:

Yes! I do believe you should be fine being admitted to the programs of your choice. Granted, I do not know the requirements for each of your schools but I had a relatively similar stats and I have been admitted. I would say MSW programs are not as rigorous when it comes to GPA requirements but you definitely need to offset it with experience or anything to counteract the lower GPA. Thankfully you have some experience working in a mental health/counseling area if that is something you are trying to pursue. 

Thank you for responding! I am trying to go into the mental health/counseling area so this is definitely reassuring.

Hi! 
Has anyone been accepted into the Columbia Reduced Residency program and received financial aid offer yet? I’m being told I have to wait to be sent a form to fill out with my employment info, and then they will process it and make an offer. The form won’t go live until sometime next week so it seems it’ll be cutting it close to the March 3 deadline. 

34 minutes ago, AlabasterSeas said:

Hi Everyone!

I applied for U of Chicago back in November, and am also still waiting to hear back.

I've already been admitted to and received initial financial aid info from U of M, Columbia, and NYU. Still waiting to hear from Hunter too.

Nice to find a community to wait with!

Hi there! 

I also applied to UChicago on the first deadline and am waiting to hear back. I emailed them a few days ago, but they haven't reached back out to me. Surely we'll find out today by 5 pm as they've guaranteed decisions by 2/15, right? Hoping to hear soon :)

1 minute ago, 2020_UofC said:

Hi there! 

I also applied to UChicago on the first deadline and am waiting to hear back. I emailed them a few days ago, but they haven't reached back out to me. Surely we'll find out today by 5 pm as they've guaranteed decisions by 2/15, right? Hoping to hear soon :)

Lol, I hope so. I've been a nerd and have been debating if "by 2/15" is inclusive or exclusive of the 15th...

4 minutes ago, 2020_UofC said:

It looks like some folks who applied 12/1 heard back toward the end of January so it might just depend! Maybe you'll hear by 2/15 as well :) 

I hope so, I am going crazy second guessing my GPA my major my essay my life lol

16 hours ago, socwork2020 said:

Wow! Do you mind if I ask when you were notified of your acceptance to Michigan? I just finished my app earlier this week. I know it’s really late compared to most, but I was planning to wait until next cycle. Since I applied so late,  I assumed I wouldn’t hear anything for a really long time. I’m also in-state. I live super close and this is the only school I’m applying to. Care to share your stats? 

9 minutes ago, basw said:

Y'all Columbia barely gave me any scholarship money. These schools are all SO expensive, how the hell are we supposed to fund this?? Do we just take out loans?

Unfortunately, yes. Apply to as many scholarships as possible, talk to the financial aid offices and press them for any grants you may qualify for, and try to work during the summer (if you have summers off). Based on my own stress-induced dives into different MSW forums, I've learned it's kind of inevitable to end up with student loan debt with an MSW. It is SO BS because we're literally working for free and then we have to work for money as well as take classes, and this is all to go into a low-paying field. We want to help make the world a better place doing the jobs that are desperately needed, an MSW should not be this expensive.

I highly recommend doing some student loan repayment calculations before deciding on going to a school and getting into way more debt than you will be able to afford to pay off. There are some loan forgiveness programs but from most accounts I've heard it's a super unreliable way to go about student loan debt as an MSW, especially under the current administration.

I'm probably not going to my top-choice school, I'm most likely going to Wayne State in Detroit because it's cheapest and I will likely be commuting from my parents' house. Remember that where you get your degree from isn't as important as your experience in social work. 

I have been so stressed over finances I am legitimately considering finding a sugar daddy lol, it is totally normal to be stressed over MSW costs.

Edited by IPmsw2020

32 minutes ago, basw said:

Y'all Columbia barely gave me any scholarship money. These schools are all SO expensive, how the hell are we supposed to fund this?? Do we just take out loans?

Just curious how much you got in scholarships. I’m waiting for mine. 

18 minutes ago, Css1087 said:

If you applied to BU, go check your personal webpage from when you started your application.  Mine says I was accepted!

mine still doesn’t say anything and no email ?

47 minutes ago, Css1087 said:

If you applied to BU, go check your personal webpage from when you started your application.  Mine says I was accepted!

You mean like log in and where it says “my application” there’s an update?

3 minutes ago, Css1087 said:

It was on the homepage where it usually thanked you for your interest. 

Hm I don’t remember ever having a page that says that. Like you went to “apply” and logged in using your info?

I'd welcome any takes on the below scholarship awards and whether it's worth contacting the schools to get an increased award. The below amounts are assuming the same amount of scholarship funding for the entirety of the program, not just annually.

• UChicago: $50,000 (50% of $100K tuition, $50K leftover)
  • Pitt: $16,000 (24% of $66K tuition, $50K leftover)
  • UMich: $9,000 (9% of $74K tuition, $65K leftover)
  • Smith: $0 (0% of $71K tuition, $71K leftover)
  • Columbia: $24,000 (21% of $116K tuition, $92K leftover)

I was planning to appeal UMich and Columbia since UChicago is a much more competitive offer than the other two. I'd initially been interested in Smith and still might appeal their scholarship decision, but the initial lack of financial support has left a bad taste in my mouth especially since I applied early decision. I reached out to Pitt, and they said scholarships were non-negotiable and referred me to fellowships (that are really only available to advanced-standing and second-year students).

4 minutes ago, Mmgaf said:

Hm I don’t remember ever having a page that says that. Like you went to “apply” and logged in using your info?

It might be because I requested information before I started an application. I got an email inviting me to my personal page. My application portal doesn't have any new information. And I still haven't received an email or anything. I will try to take a screenshot when I get home. 

2 minutes ago, Css1087 said:

It might be because I requested information before I started an application. I got an email inviting me to my personal page. My application portal doesn't have any new information. And I still haven't received an email or anything. I will try to take a screenshot when I get home. 

I found it! I went to “request info” and when I put in my email they brought me to my page which also says congratulations