Chemical Engineering PhD Fall 2020 Application Results

omega_Fractals1337

20 hours ago, shoyemiademola said:

Unrelated but what research field do you guys think is most popular among ChemE departments?

Curious as well. My uni's department (R1) has a fairly even mix of cancer biology, biofuels, catalysis, computational and modeling, materials, polymers, and even process optimization. The one thing my department does not have is electrochemistry (afaik this field is becoming more and more uncommon amongst ChemE departments).

Amongst applicants, I'd wager the most popular research field would be some form of bio-engineering, whether it be in biomaterials, biocatalysis, protein engineering/therapeutics, and synthetic biology. 

Edited by heistotron

4 hours ago, heistotron said:

Curious as well. My uni's department (R1) has a fairly even mix of cancer biology, biofuels, catalysis, computational and modeling, materials, polymers, and even process optimization. The one thing my department does not have is electrochemistry (afaik this field is becoming more and more uncommon amongst ChemE departments).

Amongst applicants, I'd wager the most popular research field would be some form of bio-engineering, whether it be in biomaterials, biocatalysis, protein engineering/therapeutics, and synthetic biology. 

I tend to feel like Energy research (including PV cells and electrochemistry) is less sought after by applicants. That's the impression I get from being on various forums. I wonder if being interested in a field with less applicants (assuming there are faculty in that area) boost chances in any way. 

5 minutes ago, ChemEBear said:

Just got some insider's news about Princeton:

They will be sending out acceptance letters on Jan 15th.

Out of curiosity, who'd you hear that from? Not that I doubt you, seems like previous years had a similar timeline. Also, do you know if Princeton does any sort of campus visits or interviews for accepted students? Congrats on Stanford btw!

Edited by 2020bioE

6 hours ago, 2020bioE said:

Out of curiosity, who'd you hear that from? Not that I doubt you, seems like previous years had a similar timeline. Also, do you know if Princeton does any sort of campus visits or interviews for accepted students? Congrats on Stanford btw!

I have a friend/former colleague who is a graduate student in Princeton's CBE PhD program. His PI (who is one of my POI I wrote about in my SOP) asked him about me, and told my friend about the 1/15 email date. My friend just delivered the same message to me.

Princeton does have campus visits! No interviews. My friend shared with me that there will be two weekends we can choose between to attend, if accepted: 2/13-16 or 2/27-3/1.

Edited by ChemEBear

36 minutes ago, ChemEBear said:

I have a friend/former colleague who is a graduate student in Princeton's CBE PhD program. His PI (who is one of my POI I wrote about in my SOP) asked him about me, and told my friend about the 1/15 email date. My friend just delivered the same message to me.

Princeton does have campus visits! No interviews. My friend shared with me that there will be two weekends we can choose between to attend, if accepted: 2/13-16 or 2/27-3/1.

Thanks for the info!!

I have a stupid doubt. As mentioned above, some universities are already releasing a few decisions.

In this rolling admission process, are the first students to be accepted the ones who applied before? Or are they simply the most qualified candidates?

I know that universities may work quite differently from each other, but I was just curious about it.

Hey hi I applied to mostly ChemE and few bioE programs. My major is in ChemE. I am an international student from India. One of my labmates has already received an admit from UW Madison. Any idea whether the ChemE department at UW sends admits in a batch or they send admits periodically?

1 hour ago, wearenolongerlost said:

I got in! Both JHU and Northwestern sent me an email. 

Congrats! I will take that as a good sign that decisions are coming soon. I can't understand why they don't send a big batch on one day though. To create suspense for those who haven't heard anything? No thanks lol.

1 hour ago, LHMQ said:

Congrats! I will take that as a good sign that decisions are coming soon. I can't understand why they don't send a big batch on one day though. To create suspense for those who haven't heard anything? No thanks lol.

I know right!! Why can't they all be like Stanford who sent all decisions in one batch?!

1 hour ago, shoyemiademola said:

Never knew decisions are sent on weekends as well. New level of anxiety unlocked. 

Hahaha ikr it was 9 pm in the US too. I was very surprised.