2020 Religion Application Thread

NyarkoSan

3 minutes ago, batyah said:

Hang in there! Hopefully at least one of the two left will be the results you are hoping for!

I am honestly doubtful, as I haven't had any interview requests and one of those two (BUSTH) has been doing interviews already. The other (Garrett) is a shot in the dark. No clue on their process and they don't have a status tracker on their application portal. 

32 minutes ago, rejectedndejected said:

I was liturgical studies.  Thanks for the condolences.  I did apply again, but I have not heard anything as yet.  I wonder if that means I'm dinged...  Have all subfields gone out yet, or just Moral Theo and WRWC?  Does anyone know?  What number are you on the waitlist?

The wording of the email leads me to think all offers have been made ("This year we made 22 initial offers across the six areas of study and are aiming for a class of 20 students with a good balance across the areas. If our yield this year is comparable to previous years, we would expect 16-20 of the first offers to accept. As of now, we have had one informal acceptance and no declines.")

I don't know what number I am on the waitlist. I don't imagine I'm at the top, so I'm making peace with not getting in! I hope you get in. 

2 hours ago, pax et caritas said:

The wording of the email leads me to think all offers have been made ("This year we made 22 initial offers across the six areas of study and are aiming for a class of 20 students with a good balance across the areas. If our yield this year is comparable to previous years, we would expect 16-20 of the first offers to accept. As of now, we have had one informal acceptance and no declines.")

I don't know what number I am on the waitlist. I don't imagine I'm at the top, so I'm making peace with not getting in! I hope you get in. 

Hi, I'm the one informal acceptance. I got a phone call yesterday. (Absolutely made my week and I can't believe this is really happening.) My track is WRWC, so perhaps things might still work out for you with moral theology.

Edited by ndmtsapplicant2020

4 minutes ago, ndmtsapplicant2020 said:

Hi, I'm the one informal acceptance. I got a phone call yesterday. (Absolutely made my week and I can't believe this is really happening.) My track is WRWC, so perhaps things might still work out for you with moral theology.

Congratulations! I'm happy for you. And yeah, perhaps so! I wonder how popular each concentration is. Does anyone know of any stats on that?

13 minutes ago, pax et caritas said:

Congratulations! I'm happy for you. And yeah, perhaps so! I wonder how popular each concentration is. Does anyone know of any stats on that?

I get the impression from poking around the forums that liturgy and moral theology are the big ones. I know one of my undergrad friends applied to the moral theology MTS and I also had a professor suggest I apply to it at one point since at the time I was focusing my research on Thomistic ethics. But I finally found my passion in comparative religion.

For disclosure's sake for what apparently works numbers-wise, I had a 166V/149Q/5.0, 3.92 UGPA, 4.0 GGPA (philosophy), and a pile of conference presentations.

1 hour ago, pax et caritas said:

Anyone know when we should expect to hear back from UChicago?

Their website says early March, but it seems like they have been releasing their decisions in the last week of February in the past couple of years…

On 2/14/2020 at 12:41 PM, Fiat said:

I am not sure about Harvard. UChicago's decisions normally come out in the first week of March, though in the past years people were posting results around Feb. 27. Yale's decisions come out on March 15. 

I think soitgoes was referring to PhD programs, which release decisions considerably earlier. Last year Yale’s PhD decisions came out around February 15 (give or take a day or two). Chicago was the same day, if I remember correctly (it was a lot of rejections for me in one day!). MTS/MAR/MA won’t be until March, I’d bet. 

It’s curious why Yale is taking so long! Interviews happened a few weeks ago.

Edited by Dewey

4 hours ago, Dewey said:

I think soitgoes was referring to PhD programs, which release decisions considerably earlier. Last year Yale’s PhD decisions came out around February 15 (give or take a day or two). Chicago was the same day, if I remember correctly (it was a lot of rejections for me in one day!). MTS/MAR/MA won’t be until March, I’d bet. 

It’s curious why Yale is taking so long! Interviews happened a few weeks ago.

Yes, I was referring to the PhD programs.

17 minutes ago, SAH08 said:

Will we finally hear something today? Are any universities closed for President's Day? Hoping for some kind of news. 

My bet is we will likely hear mid-week. It wouldn't make sense for them not to just tell us on Friday if they were going to wait until Monday. Haha...this is my anxiety logic. 

25 minutes ago, SAH08 said:

Will we finally hear something today? Are any universities closed for President's Day? Hoping for some kind of news. 

I really hope we hear today! The waiting is awful. But @soitgoes has good "anxiety logic" (ha!) too unfortunately!

I heard from a friend who interviewed with BUSTH (Phd) that they would hear on Friday about their status. So, it appears that BUSTH is a week delayed than they have been historically, but there will be some answers this week.

Edited by professionalmethodist

41 minutes ago, professionalmethodist said:

I heard from a friend who interviewed with BUSTH (Phd) that they would hear on Friday about their status. So, it appears that BUSTH is a week delayed than they have been historically, but there will be some answers this week.

I'm bummed that we may have to wait that long, but really glad to have some info - thanks for sharing! 

4 hours ago, duckie0817 said:

Is anyone claiming the Yale rejection?

UPDATE: Checked my portal and there's my own rejection sitting right there.

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

Accepted at Yale! Rejected by everything last year, this year accepted to my two top choices.

Sorry to hear, @duckie0817. Congrats @Dewey! Very encouraging to hear about someone that persisted after rejections and got in the next year. Did you do something differently this year in your application process? Or focus on some area of improvement? I'm still waiting for results, but thinking ahead to what I will do if this year isn't it for me.