Boren 2020-2021

Westtofareast

1 hour ago, Joseph_latvia said:

Congrats everyone!

I've received a fellowship to study Russian in Latvia. Anyone else headed to the Baltics? I'd love to connect! I've also lived in Kyrgyzstan/Tajikistan, so would love to chat with the Central Asia folks. 

Has anyone started a Facebook page? 

omg awesome!! congrats!! I'm going to Tajikistan. Let's connect  ——

4 hours ago, Joseph_latvia said:

Congrats everyone!

I've received a fellowship to study Russian in Latvia. Anyone else headed to the Baltics? I'd love to connect! I've also lived in Kyrgyzstan/Tajikistan, so would love to chat with the Central Asia folks. 

Has anyone started a Facebook page? 

There's an official Boren Facebook page for current and past scholars and fellows. I think you will all have a chance to join after you accept the award. But if we want to have a separate group for our cohort, I'd be down for sure! It would be good to connect and see how things are going for everyone, share advice, find people going to the same places, etc.

Okay guys, I made a Facebook group, it's called 2020-2021 Boren Scholars and Fellows. Feel free to join!

Couple things: I have never made a Facebook group before and have very limited activity on that site. So if anyone at all wants to either help or even take over the admin role, PLEASE let me know. Also, we are a group of people who are interested in national security and are about to study abroad, so we all need to be careful (like, we have no way to verify every member is actually a Boren, so don't post about your awesome CIA job or whatever in the group). And let me know if you have any suggestions, such as editing security questions, posting rules, etc. Invite any other Borens to the group!

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Larkin29 said:

Have any alternates heard anything yet?

Non-flagship program start dates have been pushed to January 1st at the earliest. Acceptance deadlines have also been pushed back to May 15th I believe. So alternates may not hear anything yet.

Edited by TheSkyHasFallen

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2020 at 6:52 PM, Delingoose said:

Have any alternates heard back anything yet or have they stopped funding now? 

So I emailed them at the end of May or early June and they told me that they had only notified Flagship alternates because they have the domestic summer language classes, they said that alternates will probably be moved up in November and December given that the earliest a program start is January 1. That may not be the same for every region, but I think it would make sense to not spend time moving up alternates when they have other concerns and people who may have committed may change their plans because of COVID.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Aquaflame14 said:

Has anyone heard anything about the Boren scholarship, especially for alternates?

We just got an update yesterday, actually. Only 3 countries are allowed for Spring 2020 - Taiwan, Thailand, and Cambodia. Everyone else is allowed to defer to Summer or Fall, but must still come back by December 31, 2021.

I guess now a lot of people will reject the award, so maybe there will be some alternates moving up. Not sure though, so it's best to reach out to a Boren advisor directly.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone! I'm a current Boren Scholar applicant and just wanted to check in and see if anyone else is also a current applicant. And how is everyone feeling about it, especially since results are about a month away... For context, I applied to Japan, a CS major, and am currently a college freshman LOL.

I also wanted to mention that there is a Boren Awards subreddit with 40 members in case anyone was interested in joining that group as well! https://www.reddit.com/r/borenawards/

Edited by seagull_stan