Boren 2020-2021

Westtofareast

8 minutes ago, slocke said:

I didn't get the scholarship. So disappointed because I feel like I did everything right. Did a summer program studying the language, spent fall semester studying in the country, have an International Studies major and minors in the language and history, I have a good gpa and related extracurriculars, my essays were really solid according to everyone who read them, and I have planned on working in defense my whole life. Just disappointed because I don't know what else I could've done differently. 

I'm in the same boat as you its heartbreaking I worked on this application for the past two years

1 minute ago, Umenohana said:

Selected as a Fellow for Japanese! Pretty excited about that!

For those who are alternates, here's something you might want to know: apparently, last year Boren ran out of alternates, so this year they likely chose a few extra. This means that 1) there is a larger pool of alternates and 2) lots of people decline their award, so your chances are still pretty good! Best of luck to everyone, don't lose hope and your passion no matter what your status is!

My advisor said something similar, he thinks that given the current status their may be a higher percentage of alternates than normal, as they are waiting to see what happens

13 minutes ago, bpark said:

I'm in the same boat as you its heartbreaking I worked on this application for the past two years

Exactly, I picked out the program I applied to two years ago. It's so disappointing. And not even an alternate? With a 25% acceptance rate? Hurts. 

19 minutes ago, PaperTowns said:

I applied 2 years ago and got alternate after foolishly applying to Russia and then Latvia as my alternate.. when I asked what I could have done to improve they said do not choose a country that they might no send students to as it is harder to gauge my motivation then for Latvia (if Russia is a for sure no) against other Latvia only applicants. This time around I applied and did just that. I chose a country that would hopefully have no controversies. 

I also applied for Latvia. Really dejected. 

31 minutes ago, PaperTowns said:

I applied 2 years ago and got alternate after foolishly applying to Russia and then Latvia as my alternate.. when I asked what I could have done to improve they said do not choose a country that they might no send students to as it is harder to gauge my motivation then for Latvia (if Russia is a for sure no) against other Latvia only applicants. This time around I applied and did just that. I chose a country that would hopefully have no controversies. 

How did you go about asking for feedback about your application? Did you just e-mail the main Boren account?

4 minutes ago, Furby said:

No email ...

I would check your application portal, I didn't get an email but my application portal (after I clicked to open my application, it said status was submitted at the first screen after login still)  was updated to say I got it. 

2 minutes ago, actionbronslam said:

How did you go about asking for feedback about your application? Did you just e-mail the main Boren account?

Yeah. I just e-mailed them after a few weeks asking for how I could improve my application for another application season.

5 minutes ago, Person1234 said:

I would check your application portal, I didn't get an email but my application portal (after I clicked to open my application, it said status was submitted at the first screen after login still)  was updated to say I got it. 

How are you able to access the application portal? I'm having trouble getting there.

52 minutes ago, LoSo said:

Received the fellowship to Mozambique (non-AFLI)!!

Congrats to everyone - to those who did not receive it, you still deserve to be proud of yourself. Even though it sounds cheesy, it's the honest truth that life will work out for you regardless of this program and you will probably live to be just as fulfilled and happy without it. It doesn't stop greatness!  

Hey! I'd love to connect! 

Does anybody know the alternate process for Boren? I know for CLS it is by language and then language level, but with Boren there’s more language variability and no set allocation (at least none that I know of) but anybody who has known a previous alternate or been through the program I’d be interested to know if anybody has any details

14 minutes ago, marymouse484 said:

Hey! I'd love to connect! 

Hey, sure thing!

This is my first time using Grad Cafe, and I don't want to post my email on the forum, but is there a direct messaging feature I can use to send it?