Boren 2020-2021

Westtofareast

22 hours ago, mangofan said:

Hi everyone! Longtime lurker here who applied for IFLI. I saw that the University of Wisconsin-Madison will be doing virtual instruction for their summer 2020 domestic language institutes. I would love if Boren goes forward with virtual instruction this summer for their flagship language programs, but this is all so new and unprecedented!

I agree! It just makes the most sense and I hope they do that for the AFLI Gainesville program. Hoping we hear something this week about award decisions but not going to hold my breath. 

8 hours ago, aarathbone said:

I agree! It just makes the most sense and I hope they do that for the AFLI Gainesville program. Hoping we hear something this week about award decisions but not going to hold my breath. 

http://africa.ufl.edu/academics-programs/african-languages/afli/

looks like they are going virtual at UF as well. I doubt we here this week I’m thinking between the 15th-17th

On 4/2/2020 at 10:21 PM, PaperTowns said:

I know Boren said they would work with each accepted applicant on an individual basis, but any chance of them waiving the matriculation requirement? I planned to go abroad for the summer and fall terms and come back in the spring for my final semester to graduate. Now, I'm thinking how to best go about the situation as my university has already suspended travel for both summer and fall terms.. ?

To my understanding, the matriculation requirement is fairly lenient (as mentioned by WesttoFarEast). So, there may be some flexibility in your situation!

8 hours ago, sb_12 said:

Has anyone received a second budget email? Results are supposed to come out next week. 

I don't think that they are going to send out a second budget email. I emailed them inquiring about making updates to my budget and was told at this stage budget changes are not needed and we will be contacted regarding our status in a week or two. 

On 3/30/2020 at 1:41 PM, pangloss said:

Hey guys! Longtime lurker but finally jumping in. I am applying to the AFLI to study French. I just got an email to schedule an OPI a few days ago. Does anyone know if this is a good sign? Some people from previous years seemed to think so... Good luck to all!

If we applied to AFLI and we haven't heard about an OPI, is that a bad sign? I applied for AFLI Portuguese.

2 minutes ago, marymouse484 said:

If we applied to AFLI and we haven't heard about an OPI, is that a bad sign? I applied for AFLI Portuguese.

I think for French they are more strict on the starting level of proficiency, so I wouldn’t freak out about it. 

Just now, pangloss said:

I haven't gotten a second budget email. I would actually estimate the 17th? I think they typically release on a Friday though I could be making that up. 

Just now, PaperTowns said:

When do you all think they will get back to us? The 13th or 15th?

I think we will hear back on Monday the 13th. I looked at the forums from 2019, 2018, and 2017 to see when they were notified and found: 

April 15, 2019 (Monday)
April 16, 2018 (Monday)
April 17, 2017 (Monday)

I think it is reasonable to assume that we will know on the 13th ! 

1 hour ago, pangloss said:

Hey! Yeah I wouldn't worry -- I'm reasonably sure that they only test for French. For anyone curious, the OPI was pretty dang stressful, but I got a 2 on the ILR scale! Anxious to hear back in the next couple of weeks or so. 

Félicitations pour tes examens ! Bien joué ! A 2 on the ILR scale is pretty great ! Depuis combien de temps apprends-tu le français ?

2 hours ago, marymouse484 said:

I looked on the Boren website for AFLI and it states that Portuguese language instruction is: 

"Language: Instruction in Portuguese for all levels" 

So you should not worry about taking an OPI because they only contact people for French (and Spanish ?) ! 

20 hours ago, Westtofareast said:

Also-- in looking at the past forums, it seems like IIE eliminated the second budget email last year for everyone but the flagship applicants. 

I'm a flagship applicant but never received a second budget email, but maybe that just means I was rejected ?

32 minutes ago, bazigaar said:

I'm a flagship applicant but never received a second budget email, but maybe that just means I was rejected ?

I also never received a second budget email but I also didn't have any changes for the first budget email and I'm only doing the summer + fall portion. so trying to think positively ?

20 hours ago, Westtofareast said:

I think we will hear back on Monday the 13th. I looked at the forums from 2019, 2018, and 2017 to see when they were notified and found: 

April 15, 2019 (Monday)
April 16, 2018 (Monday)
April 17, 2017 (Monday)

I think it is reasonable to assume that we will know on the 13th ! 

Félicitations pour tes examens ! Bien joué ! A 2 on the ILR scale is pretty great ! Depuis combien de temps apprends-tu le français ?

I looked on the Boren website for AFLI and it states that Portuguese language instruction is: 

"Language: Instruction in Portuguese for all levels" 

So you should not worry about taking an OPI because they only contact people for French (and Spanish ?) ! 

Lol merci! I started in college, about two years ago. I applied for AFLI and have also not received a second budget email. Though I also didn't make any changes to my budget. 

@bazigaar @mangofan @pangloss

I apologize for establishing a definitive tone when I suggested that flagship people will receive a second email if they are moving on ! From what I saw, only some of the people who made changes during their first budget email received the follow up. Moreover, it is also possible that they eliminated the second email for everyone since it seems like they got rid of it for general applicants. I apologize to those I made worry !

1 hour ago, arabiclover said:

Does anyone know if you apply to a lesser applied-to country, does that raise or lower your chances? Does it have no effect at all? 

I think it has no effect as the scholarships/fellowships awarded are commensurate with the amount of applications submitted to each respective country/language/region. However, I would not be surprised if they try to have regional diversity by allowing up to one applicant (if equally qualified) to be awarded in a lesser applied-to country. 

Edited by PaperTowns

2 hours ago, arabiclover said:

Does anyone know if you apply to a lesser applied-to country, does that raise or lower your chances? Does it have no effect at all? 

I think boren looks for quality more than anything. It just so happens that less applied to countries have less applicants and thus theres a greater chance no one gets accepted! 

12 hours ago, Furby said:

I think boren looks for quality more than anything. It just so happens that less applied to countries have less applicants and thus theres a greater chance no one gets accepted! 

Oh wow good point haha I guess I am just overthinking since there is literally nothing we can do now!