Boren 2020-2021

Westtofareast

On 3/21/2020 at 4:56 PM, Scaura said:

Received mine as well! I probably won't change my dates (I originally intended to start in October, and my program is quite flexible).

Does anyone know when we NEED to start our fellowships/scholarships? It was my understanding that you could start at the end of 2020 or the beginning of 2021, but I don't know if there's a specific end date when we have to leave our country.

Yes, from the Boren website: Boren Awards funding in the 2020 application cycle may be applied to programs starting as early as June 1, 2020 or as late as March 1, 2021.

But I would hope that they are flexible this year, considering everything that is going on. For example, a lot of Japanese programs start in April, so having that option would be nice if other things are getting cancelled.

Anyone receive a second budget email? I think I'm going to change my program date to not participate in the optional Spring 2021 AFLI internship but I'm worried it'll adversely affect my chances. 

Has anyone had their summer or fall programs canceled? I'm supposed to start my program late August but everything is up in the air right now and it has a chance of being canceled.  I planned to graduate in spring '21 and then go off to med school that fall, so not much room for rescheduling... Its stressing me out a ton ? 

20 hours ago, sb_12 said:

Has anyone had their summer or fall programs canceled? I'm supposed to start my program late August but everything is up in the air right now and it has a chance of being canceled.  I planned to graduate in spring '21 and then go off to med school that fall, so not much room for rescheduling... Its stressing me out a ton ? 

I am so sorry that is happening ! It is a stressful time. Would you push back your graduation date if you are awarded Boren ? 

On 3/25/2020 at 1:29 PM, aarathbone said:

Anyone receive a second budget email? I think I'm going to change my program date to not participate in the optional Spring 2021 AFLI internship but I'm worried it'll adversely affect my chances. 

Didn't get a second budget e-mail. I didn't need to do any changes to my original, though! Did anyone else get a second?

On 3/24/2020 at 5:12 PM, Umenohana said:

Yes, from the Boren website: Boren Awards funding in the 2020 application cycle may be applied to programs starting as early as June 1, 2020 or as late as March 1, 2021.

But I would hope that they are flexible this year, considering everything that is going on. For example, a lot of Japanese programs start in April, so having that option would be nice if other things are getting cancelled.

Honestly, with COVID-19, we need Boren fellowship more than ever. Since I would be a fellow I could start whenever I wanted, but it would be nice having to NOT look for job in this current market lol.

3 hours ago, pangloss said:

Hey guys! Longtime lurker but finally jumping in. I am applying to the AFLI to study French. I just got an email to schedule an OPI a few days ago. Does anyone know if this is a good sign? Some people from previous years seemed to think so... Good luck to all!

Sound like a good sign to me!

On 3/30/2020 at 10:41 AM, pangloss said:

Hey guys! Longtime lurker but finally jumping in. I am applying to the AFLI to study French. I just got an email to schedule an OPI a few days ago. Does anyone know if this is a good sign? Some people from previous years seemed to think so... Good luck to all!

I think this is a good sign as well!

16 hours ago, Westtofareast said:

It seems like last year applicants received a second budget update email around this time. Has anyone received a second one?

I received a second budget email (mostly just asking to clarify at-home costs and if I wanted to participate in the internship) and decided not to change my dates since I'm still on the fence about it. 

On 3/26/2020 at 11:57 AM, Westtofareast said:

I am so sorry that is happening ! It is a stressful time. Would you push back your graduation date if you are awarded Boren ? 

its in consideration if plans take a different turn. fingers crossed though!

On 3/31/2020 at 5:37 PM, Westtofareast said:

It seems like last year applicants received a second budget update email around this time. Has anyone received a second one?

No, not yet! Hopefully by tomorrow or Friday they will be sent.

5 hours ago, pangloss said:

Wimbledon just got cancelled... What do you think the odds are that the flagships programs will still run during the Summer?

Well I am working on my PhD and I’m a lecturer a large public school in the Southeast and we just moved all our courses online for the summer. My best friend works at a different school in the same region and they did the same. So I’m not sure what they are going to do about the summer programs. I was planning on applying for AFLI, but changed my mind because I have my dissertation proposal in the summer so I was supposed to be on campus. Not sure what will happen with that either

On 3/30/2020 at 5:12 AM, Scaura said:

Didn't get a second budget e-mail. I didn't need to do any changes to my original, though! Did anyone else get a second?

Honestly, with COVID-19, we need Boren fellowship more than ever. Since I would be a fellow I could start whenever I wanted, but it would be nice having to NOT look for job in this current market lol.

I didn't receive a second budget email and I applied to study Arabic on the scholarship! Hope this helps! 

I know Boren said they would work with each accepted applicant on an individual basis, but any chance of them waiving the matriculation requirement? I planned to go abroad for the summer and fall terms and come back in the spring for my final semester to graduate. Now, I'm thinking how to best go about the situation as my university has already suspended travel for both summer and fall terms.. ?

Edited by PaperTowns

15 hours ago, PaperTowns said:

I know Boren said they would work with each accepted applicant on an individual basis, but any chance of them waiving the matriculation requirement? I planned to go abroad for the summer and fall terms and come back in the spring for my final semester to graduate. Now, I'm thinking how to best go about the situation as my university has already suspended travel for both summer and fall terms.. ?

I'm in the same boat as you. I planned to study abroad in the fall then come back and graduate in the spring. Thankfully, my uni hasn't canceled travel for the fall yet but it's still likely. What I was told is possible is remaining matriculated even after graduation. So you could graduate in the spring, and just receive your diploma after you come back. But I would talk to your study abroad advisor if that's possible for your uni. Good luck and keep us updated!

2 hours ago, sb_12 said:

I'm in the same boat as you. I planned to study abroad in the fall then come back and graduate in the spring. Thankfully, my uni hasn't canceled travel for the fall yet but it's still likely. What I was told is possible is remaining matriculated even after graduation. So you could graduate in the spring, and just receive your diploma after you come back. But I would talk to your study abroad advisor if that's possible for your uni. Good luck and keep us updated!

You can remain matriculated without being enrolled in any courses at your university? How does one graduate without receiving their diploma? My understanding was Boren says you cannot graduate until after?

5 hours ago, PaperTowns said:

You can remain matriculated without being enrolled in any courses at your university? How does one graduate without receiving their diploma? My understanding was Boren says you cannot graduate until after?

Yeah ! At my school, you just sign a form and pay like $20 a semester to stay matriculated. You do not have to take any course. You would not graduate. You would graduate the semester you come back. Say you would be on the Boren for the Spring and Summer semester, you can graduate in the summer as long as the graduation date is after your Boren. I would recommend reaching out to your university about this thought because it might be different between universities.