Boren 2020-2021

Westtofareast

16 hours ago, Westtofareast said:

Oman had one boren scholar and one boren fellow last year ! I chose a small European country so I am in the same boat as you. 

Oh thats awesome!! I am sending you good vibes and positive hopes you get it ! :) did you apply for the scholarship?

9 minutes ago, Furby said:

I would refrain from being an uncessary nuisance by calling. It wont change when they send notifications out but I totally am nervous too

it would just be nice to have a more specific answer to calm our nerves a bit. sitting at home all day wondering when we'll know isn't making this any better ?

Has anyone applied from a non-APSIA member school? Also, was everyone explicit about what proficiency level you planned to reach by the end of the program? I thought Boren conducted a pre and post assessment for their own data collection purposes.

Edited by LoSo

35 minutes ago, LoSo said:

Has anyone applied from a non-APSIA member school? Also, was everyone explicit about what proficiency level you planned to reach by the end of the program? I thought Boren conducted a pre and post assessment for their own data collection purposes.

Does APSIA matter in any way? I had no idea what it is until I looked it up just now. I got Boren Scholarship a few years back from a no-name public school, so I don't think it affects your chances in any way.

I didn't really explicitly define the level I plan to reach either time I applied. Just made sure to say in what ways my program is rigorous enough to make significant improvements. Boren does conduct pre and post assessments, but like you said, they are only for their own statistics (and OPI certification of your language for you). 

4 minutes ago, UMDTerp said:

Good luck to everyone with their decisions (hopefully this week).

What are your plans / back-up plans if you should not get a scholarship? Have they changed because of Covid-19?

Am genuinely interested to hear what you think. 

I am thinking about doing a semester in Taiwan/China with UPitt if I don't get the Boren. I'll apply to Turkish or Chinese CLS too for next summer. I really wanted to spend the whole year abroad to learn Uzbek but it can't happen - well I can do Spring and Summer with boren so that basically the same?? My plans are just gunna be pushed back a bit but it is what it is. Everyone is pretty much in the same boat and it's ok. 

10 hours ago, UMDTerp said:

What are your plans / back-up plans if you should not get a scholarship? Have they changed because of Covid-19?

I was planning on delaying graduation an additional semester to do the fall portion of IFLI, but my back-up plan includes graduating-- from UMD! -- this semester. For my back-up plans, I'm currently debating going to grad school or entering the job market. I'm not entirely invested in either idea right now, but I'm hoping Boren notifies us soon so I can figure out a plan moving forward!

11 hours ago, UMDTerp said:

Thanks! Same to you! There is so much uncertainty because of Covid-19. Honestly I have been trying to avoid thoughts of not being awarded Boren.

16 hours ago, Umenohana said:

Does APSIA matter in any way? I had no idea what it is until I looked it up just now. I got Boren Scholarship a few years back from a no-name public school, so I don't think it affects your chances in any way.

I didn't really explicitly define the level I plan to reach either time I applied. Just made sure to say in what ways my program is rigorous enough to make significant improvements. Boren does conduct pre and post assessments, but like you said, they are only for their own statistics (and OPI certification of your language for you). 

I was only asking because I came across a YouTube video of a Boren webinar from last year (I believe) that was specifically for APSIA member schools. However, I think it is only relevant to those majoring in international relations anyway. I am receiving my MS in global studies & international relations from a non-APSIA school. After perusing last year's stats it looked like most people on the list who had IA related degrees came from APSIA-member schools. But for non-IA majors, I don't think I checked. It's just something for me to mull over while we wait, lol.

Can I ask what your major was when you got the scholarship and what you're studying now?