2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

1 hour ago, Dochinka96 said:

Yesterday I felt the exact same way. But tomorrow is my birthday and honestly I’m just hoping not to get a rejection tomorrow from anywhere lol after that, throw em at me! 
It’s a cohort of 25, ive heard about less than 10 notifications. I know there are people not on here or draft of course but it sounds to me we don’t have a reason to feel doomed just yet. 
When I was waitlisted at Ohio, I felt on top of the world. Then I learned only 150 people might have applied.

Happy almost-birthday! 

2 hours ago, LiteraryMagpie said:

Hi everyone! I've applied to a couple MFA poetry programs and I was wondering if anyone had an idea when Boston's MFA program results will go out? And is GMU still sending out funding offers?

As far as I know, GMU hasn't sent out any funding offers yet. Haven't seen anyone mention it here or in Draft (and trust me, I'm keeping an eye out).

@Dochinka96 Wishing you a happy birthday as well! I hope you can party hard this weekend and forget your app season woes.

So I decided to read through the UNLV website again. Their program is so delightfully strange. Just realized you’re supposed to do forms and workshop  in two different genres (only three credits each in the second one though), in addition to the traveling, translating, pedagogy, and the critical essay. I’m so confused, I read through this description on their website at least 15 times and didn’t catch that first part until now. I wish they organized in sections instead of one long page of all their features.

On a side note, when my Iowa dreams inevitably fail, maybe I can snag one of the five spots at UNLV, or maybe not.

Sorry for the ramble, I’m so nervous today. (I’m pretty sure Iowa’s poetry acceptances could be coming out tomorrow, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh)

5 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

So I decided to read through the UNLV website again. Their program is so delightfully strange. Just realized you’re supposed to do forms and workshop  in two different genres (only three credits each in the second one though), in addition to the traveling, translating, pedagogy, and the critical essay. I’m so confused, I read through this description on their website at least 15 times and didn’t catch that first part until now. I wish they organized in sections instead of one long page of all their features.

On a side note, when my Iowa dreams inevitably fail, maybe I can snag one of the five spots at UNLV, or maybe not.

Sorry for the ramble, I’m so nervous today. (I’m pretty sure Iowa’s poetry acceptances could be coming out tomorrow, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh)

The board is pretty silent w.r.t Iowa, and looks like they are really behind this year. I haven't gotten any updates or follow up to the phone call either.

Also, I'm being really paranoid: that maybe it was a mistake I got a call? my docs got messed up and they forgot about me? I'm wondering if it is polite to give them a call and ask about official acceptance letter.....

Edited by rbr542

8 minutes ago, rbr542 said:

The board is pretty silent w.r.t Iowa, and looks like they are really behind this year. I haven't gotten any updates or follow up to the phone call either.

Also, I'm being really paranoid: that maybe it was a mistake I got a call? my docs got messed up and they forgot about me? I'm wondering if it is polite to give them a call and ask about official acceptance letter.....

I can imagine they still have fiction applications to get out still, so maybe once everyone is notified for fiction they can work on your acceptance letter. Every year more people apply for Iowa’s fiction and CNF program (poetry is unclear), so maybe they don’t have a letter put together just yet. I don’t think you got a call by mistake, and I don’t think they forgot about you. Since you were accepted I’m sure it’s fine if you call and ask when you’ll receive your acceptance letter and all the funding details that’ll probably come with it.

Edited by Ydrl

7 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

I can imagine they still have fiction applications to get out still, so maybe once everyone is notified for fiction they can work on your acceptance letter. Every year more people apply for Iowa’s fiction and CNF program (poetry is unclear), so maybe they don’t have a letter put together just yet. I don’t think you got a call by mistake, and I don’t think they forgot about you. Since you were accepted I’m sure it’s fine if you call and ask when you’ll receive your acceptance letter and all the funding details that’ll probably come with it.

I feel like such an ass whining about this. ?  But it's like I have literally no one to talk about this stuff. Fingers crossed for you. 

Just now, rbr542 said:

I feel like such an ass whining about this. ?  But it's like I have literally no one to talk about this stuff. Fingers crossed for you. 

I feel the same about whining about Iowa so bad. I’m not very religious (even though I just converted to a new religion late last year), but I’ve been begging the powers that be for an Iowa acceptance/waitlist for the exact amount of time since I found out the school existed. It would be really weird for me to get in at Iowa considering every other school so far rejected me, but I just want some validation that all my effort and time and heartbreak was leading somewhere.

@rbr542 I had the same panic because on my acceptance call (UMass Amherst) I was told that the dept would be sending me an email with all the information that afternoon. I didn't get the email til the following Tuesday (call had been on a Friday), nor did my portal change to reflect my status for several days. I think there's just a LOT going on and sometimes the logistical stuff takes longer to get in order than the initial outreach. I know you'll still be nervous until you have the concrete proof, but I promise: you didn't hallucinate the call, and it wasn't an accident :) Take a deep breath and celebrate!

(Edit: That said, to echo @Ydrl, if you want to call and ask for details/email confirmation, I'm sure that's fine!!)

Also, HBD @Dochinka96 !!!

Edited by pirhiaa20

@anarchisttiger heard anything back yet?

Also I looked on the poetry section of IWW acceptances and it seems people have called the school in the past.

I’m not gonna call though, because also on the board in 2018, 2017 and 2015 acceptances went out by the 21st if not earlier. 2019 was weirdly behind 2 entire weeks, and if that happens again I’m gonna break. If anyone else wants to call to find out, I will give you all of the brownie points I have accumulated over a lifetime.

On an unrelated note, I gotta love some of the usernames people came up with. Especially the food ones. I won’t tag them, but just looking through the online user list makes me laugh. Notification stress eating truly is a universal phenomenon.

It looks like Michener rejections are starting to go out (at least for poetry and fiction), based on some posts in Draft. I checked my portal (didn't get an email yet) and mine still says "in review." Has anyone received the email? 

ETA: Also, someone in Draft said that maybe the rejections last year were rolled out alphabetically by last name. Anyone got any intel on this? 

Edited by MFAthrowaway420

@rbr542 don't feel like an ass! We're all here to support you in good faith. Your call was NOT a fluke. There's a lot to sort through and who knows if they're administratively equipped for it. Give it a week or two, and remind yourself that you did it -- you mcfreakin Made It Buddy.

@Ydrl Nope, nothing yet! I promise y'all will be the first to know. I am truly kicking myself for reaching out though. I feel so demanding and like if there was any hope left for me, I've gone and ruined it.

Anyone else already obsessing over what they could've done better in their applications? I am still waiting on 3 out of 4 schools so it's premature for me to be this doom and gloom but...ya know. If anyone who has applied over multiple cycles has advice for us first-timers, it's welcome!

9 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

@rbr542 don't feel like an ass! We're all here to support you in good faith. Your call was NOT a fluke. There's a lot to sort through and who knows if they're administratively equipped for it. Give it a week or two, and remind yourself that you did it -- you mcfreakin Made It Buddy.

@Ydrl Nope, nothing yet! I promise y'all will be the first to know. I am truly kicking myself for reaching out though. I feel so demanding and like if there was any hope left for me, I've gone and ruined it.

Anyone else already obsessing over what they could've done better in their applications? I am still waiting on 3 out of 4 schools so it's premature for me to be this doom and gloom but...ya know. If anyone who has applied over multiple cycles has advice for us first-timers, it's welcome!

@anarchisttiger Have been meaning to ask this question as well, as I am waiting to hear from the other schools. A first timer too and my brain is actively trying to process at the same time, what can I do to improve my chances. 

19 hours ago, litty said:

co-sign. from what i've gathered, most places are ok with a novel excerpt, but prefer the opening chapter and they expect that it not require set-up/context, should be able to speak for itself. you should definitely/must include a short story or two (depending on where you apply), and that's what will  give them a sense of your ability to tell a story. 

I would refrain from mentioning anything related to a publisher or publishing, let your work speak for itself. you could inadvertently shoot yourself in the foot by making it seem you have things all figured out. in all the work they review they're looking for potential, to help you grow and get to the place of publication. to say you feel you're at a place where you're ready for publication would lead some to question, then what can we do for you?  caveat, my comments are geared towards novels, most places love to see published short stories! shows commitment and hopefully talent!

18 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

I've made a point not to review any of my materials since submission. It's hard to obsess when I can't remember the fine details of my SOP/sample.

Plus, you can't know how you stack up against other applicants, and that's what matters for admission. It's out of your hands, and I think there's some comfort in that. When I find myself worrying, I tell myself, "there's nothing more you can do, just wait and see." Easier said than done! But you come to believe it more with practice.

Edited by feralgrad

7 minutes ago, rbr542 said:

Looks like Michener is sending official rejections (via portal.)

I’m glad I’m not getting rejected by Michener right now. I don’t think my heart could handle it.

Saw a UC Riverside acceptance on the results board and feel like I’m going to throw up. I’m three hours ahead of California but I just want to know nowww. Does anyone know of any other acceptances or if acceptances are staggered??

So I just have this feeling that today is going to be either a bloodbath or a great time for a lot of people, cause it’s Friday and schools like to do that to people. Idk about Iowa applicants though, there hasn’t been a peep about poetry or CNF and fiction is at a stalemate. Good luck everybody.

7 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

So I just have this feeling that today is going to be either a bloodbath or a great time for a lot of people, cause it’s Friday and schools like to do that to people. Idk about Iowa applicants though, there hasn’t been a peep about poetry or CNF and fiction is at a stalemate. Good luck everybody.

I just think the same. Are we sensates? haha