2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

On 3/16/2020 at 9:43 PM, moleary1226 said:

I emailed BU and they got back to me today saying they are not done notifying poetry acceptances but should be done by the end of the month. I am also waiting!

I am still on NYU waitlist? Have you heard anything? Best of luck!!

2 hours ago, ginsbrown said:

anyone still waiting to hear back post-pandemic? I got waitlisted for NYU back in Feb, Phase II for UMiss, and no word from Hunter or Rutgers Newark. The anxiety is killing me. 

Solidarity, friend. NYU is the only waitlist I'm waiting on, for poetry. No idea when we'll hear anything about it... I'm thinking about emailing them sometime in the next few days, hopefully they can give us a little bit more info since lots of people made decisions today. 

5 hours ago, ginsbrown said:

I am still on NYU waitlist? Have you heard anything? Best of luck!!

I was on the NYU waitlist last year and they didn't notify anyone that it closed until July. Sorry.

20 hours ago, ginsbrown said:

anyone still waiting to hear back post-pandemic? I got waitlisted for NYU back in Feb, Phase II for UMiss, and no word from Hunter or Rutgers Newark. The anxiety is killing me. 

i have also heard nothing from hunter -- sent them an email about when i might hear back and haven't gotten a response

From what I understand, Hunter is done with their decisions. Like most programs, those admitted are asked to make their decision before April 15th so that the mfa rosters can be completed by the 15th.  If you still haven't heard back from anywhere after April 15th, unfortunately its probably bad news. Not always, but I just wanted to chime in about Hunter. 

6 hours ago, Lunafiction said:

@feralgrad I am curious how you ended up! Do you think you will be doing an MFA next year?

Still playing the waiting game! I've been in touch with the program, and they're still sorting out funding. I'm staying hopeful with the understanding that everything (for everyone) is up in the air right now. I'll definitely update this forum either way. Thanks for checking in! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, just wanted to let y'all know that I secured funding! I'll be attending Mason in the fall! 

I also want to thank everyone for your support and advice. It's been a difficult 2 year journey, and GC really helped me every step of the way (even on the days when checking this thread got addictive :p). 

For 2021 hopefuls: Don't be afraid to reapply! I turned down partial funding last year, and obviously it paid off. I'm so happy with where I'm headed now.

Edited by feralgrad

On 5/1/2020 at 12:46 PM, feralgrad said:

Hey everyone, just wanted to let y'all know that I secured funding! I'll be attending Mason in the fall! 

I also want to thank everyone for your support and advice. It's been a difficult 2 year journey, and GC really helped me every step of the way (even on the days when checking this thread got addictive :p). 

For 2021 hopefuls: Don't be afraid to reapply! I turned down partial funding last year, and obviously it paid off. I'm so happy with where I'm headed now.

This makes me happy! Congratulations! 

18 hours ago, anarchisttiger said:

This makes me happy! Congratulations! 

Thank you so much! I feel like I slid in by the skin of my teeth, but it's a huge relief. Can I ask how your season panned out?

On 5/1/2020 at 12:46 PM, feralgrad said:

Many congratulations! I’m so happy to hear your news, I'm sure you will have a great time at mason.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m guessing this will be one of the last posts on this thread, but goodbye draftmemes on tumblr. We’ll all miss you. (For anyone wondering, every link to it just leads to tumblr’s “not found” page.)

• 2 months later...

Hello! I've been lurking for awhile and just wanted to thank everyone for posting their experiences and insight during the application process. I just started a 2021 thread (tho I know it's early). I know many of you are off to better things and hopefully taking a much needed break from the forum, but if you have time I would love to hear some advice if you're willing to share.

If you're comfortable, would you mind summarizing what your statement of purpose looked like? I'm trying to balance the line between personal and professional. I want to leave an impression without oversharing.  It'd be awesome to hear what different people chose to write about. Personally, I am hoping to write about the legacy of adoption in my family and the way the Korean War has continued to shape our lives despite the time that's passed. Basically it's about generational trauma and how it influences the way I write and see the world. Is that too much tho? I don't want to trauma-dump obviously, but it feels important somehow. 

Edited by teasel