2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

Anyone know anything about Bowling Green State University's program and/or Western Michigan University's program? BGSU funds all their students but WMU is only funding one student and they chose to fund me (!!!). WMU is offering a bigger stipend but the program is 3 years and you only teach comp classes whereas at BGSU you get to teach creative writing during your second year which is important to me because I'm interested in getting my PhD to be a creative writing prof. BGSU is 2 years and WMU is 3. Any more info would be helpful! I am having such a hard time making a decision

On 3/19/2020 at 7:49 AM, feralgrad said:

Congratulations on your acceptance and waitlists! Columbia's funding situation is tricky, but you're lucky that your waitlists are both well-funded.

And truly, you should feel proud of your results. From my layman's perspective, I'd say that getting a waitlist from Rutgers might be harder than an acceptance from Columbia. That program is crazy competitive.

That's an interesting take--do you really think that's the case? Honestly, I don't know how to think about these programs, how they match up to one another, and the fact that I won't be able to visit any of them during this pandemic is also difficult. Maybe Columbia is best for my career, but is it the best program? Even assuming that I could afford whatever they ultimately offer me? 

Even thinking about this seems ridiculous right now, but I'm on lockdown and there's very little I can do, so occasionally I still fantasize about there being a future. 

12 hours ago, PanielDope said:

That's an interesting take--do you really think that's the case? Honestly, I don't know how to think about these programs, how they match up to one another, and the fact that I won't be able to visit any of them during this pandemic is also difficult. Maybe Columbia is best for my career, but is it the best program? Even assuming that I could afford whatever they ultimately offer me? 

Even thinking about this seems ridiculous right now, but I'm on lockdown and there's very little I can do, so occasionally I still fantasize about there being a future. 

Anecdotally, Columbia is viewed as having a high acceptance rate (by MFA standards, at least) because a) it's a large cohort and b) the lack of funding deters a lot of people from accepting their offer. They only have a couple of fully funded positions. Since Rutgers - Newark is fully funded and well-known, I would guess that there's more competition for those spots.

I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking this over now. In fact, I think it's smart to mull over the possibility of going to grad school during the impending economic depression. Keep in mind that you will almost surely graduate into a very tough job market. Education budgets will be nuked even harder than they already have been, so I wouldn't bank on getting a job in academia (not that that approach was wise before, anyway...). There won't be a ton of prospects for people like us, and we'll have to get crafty to get by. I don't know your circumstances, but this is something to seriously consider.

I have nothing to contribute as far as schools go, but how is everyone? I think we were all under a lot of stress before covid blew up and now we’re under much more. Is everyone taking care of themselves? Isolating? Practicing self-care?

@anarchisttiger I'm doing my best to take care of myself. Working from home currently, and I feel very fortunate that I'm able to do so.

Starting an MFA this year feels more uncertain than ever, but I'm not sure how important that is at this point...

How are you holding up?

Edited by feralgrad

1 hour ago, presentperfect said:

How are all my waitlisters doing out there? I still keep checking my email every five minutes, even after business hours, like it's realistic I'm going to get an email at 9PM. 

Big same over here. I have dreams of wooing the program director via email. What are the waitlists you're hoping to hear from?

16 hours ago, presentperfect said:

How are all my waitlisters doing out there? I still keep checking my email every five minutes, even after business hours, like it's realistic I'm going to get an email at 9PM. 

OOf struggling, I spoke to the DGS at UW and they said 4/5 original acceptances have confirmed they will be attending so its down to 1 person ? cue email checking!

At the beginning of this process, I was so uncertain I would even get in to one of these programs, I did not let myself get attached to any of the programs. Now, I am feeling very fortunate and overwhelmed to have three fully funded offers. I want to make my decision as quickly as possible because being on the waitlist sucks (one of my offers was off the waitlist), and I don't want people waiting on my account. 

So I'm here looking for advice. I am struggling to make the decision. There are a lot of criteria to weigh, and without visiting, I just don't know what matters most. At this point, I welcome all thoughts, whether they be about specific programs, important factors to weigh, personal vendettas, etc. 

Here are the options (all CNF):
University of Wyoming (2 years, low teaching load 1:1)
Iowa State University (3 years, large teaching load 2:2)
West Virginia University (3 years, the one dedicated CNF faculty member may be leaving, large teaching load 2:2)

Anyhow, thank you all for being a wonderful support network through all the nail biting, crying, and hair pulling. For those of you headed off to programs you are excited about, my sincerest congratulations! For those who had a rough go of it this year, I just want to say that this process is extremely subjective, and the people reading your application have no idea of your potential (think Maya Lin). 

3a/0w/6r/2p?

On 3/18/2020 at 8:39 PM, PanielDope said:

Hey all, longtime lurker here. This is my third year applying. First year got accepted to Temple and CalArts, but didn't end up going. Second year, rejections across the board. This year... By last week, so far I had all rejections except for two waitlists (UMN and Rutgers-Newark), and I was starting to get really really worried. Plus I've been going through a pretty intense depressive episode for a while and haven't been able to write. 

Then while I was in the middle of a political event, where I was acting as a legal observer for NLG, I got a call from Columbia. I'm in! Of course I immediately started doubting it, going so far as to question whether it's even a good program. Because I couldn't believe it, couldn't believe that something might have actually worked out after all of the disappointment. Obviously I'm not out of the woods yet, as I need to worry about funding and whatnot, but from what I understand I can basically just keep pushing them until the acceptance deadline. Anyway, so maybe that will work out, but now with the quarantine and everything that's going on, wow what the fuck is going to happen?!?! Are we even gonna be able to go in the fall???? 

Is anyone else having trouble believing this is even real? 

Hey Congrats I was curious if you have accepted at Columbia or heard from Rutgers yet? Are you in fiction or Poetry? Depending on Coronavirus, I  will be at Poetry 2020 MFA Columbia, NYU or Brooklyn Cannot decide yet! I feel similar and want to choose Columbia but Brooklyn is more affordable.

Still in limbo with UNLV and VCU. I know there are many reasons why I’m still in limbo, but the outbreak makes me wonder if the schools will even make the deadline on time (and I know they’re still expecting the students to make a decision by then...)

Edited by Ydrl

Yes, me! I check my email all the time now. I can't imagine it's good news that we haven't heard though. There are a few people who posted in Results that they have been accepted, though I haven't counted six. (I only applied to Hunter, which in retrospect seems extremely dumb. Anyway, fingers crossed!)

On 3/25/2020 at 9:16 PM, Poesis said:

Hey Congrats I was curious if you have accepted at Columbia or heard from Rutgers yet? Are you in fiction or Poetry? Depending on Coronavirus, I  will be at Poetry 2020 MFA Columbia, NYU or Brooklyn Cannot decide yet! I feel similar and want to choose Columbia but Brooklyn is more affordable.

I haven't accepted any offers yet. I am in at Rutgers-Newark though! 

My friend at Columbia told me basically to push them for as much money as possible up to the deadline, so I'm taking that tack. They're telling me they'll notify me "when more funding becomes available" (lol I picture them walking around a field digging up holes and scratching their heads saying "hmm where did we bury it?")

If a school (University of San Francisco and Chapman) does not directly tell you anything about funding, should I just assume that means I get $0? Would it be worth it to ask about money? And if so, does anyone have any advice on how to go about that? 

Hey all,

I applied to grad programs for the first time this past year for Fall 2020. I applied to seven schools: Pratt, SAIC, University of Iowa, University of Virginia, Boston University, Johns Hopkins, and NYU. Here are my results so far:

Pratt (MFA in Writing) - Rejected (Today)

SAIC (MFA in Writing) - Interviewed (Emailed today to inquire about my status)

University of Iowa (MFA in Fiction) - Rejected

University of Virginia (MFA in Fiction) - Rejected

Boston University (MFA in Screenwriting) - Haven't heard back yet

Johns Hopkins (MA in Writing) - Accepted

NYU (MFA in Fiction) - Rejected

I'm not quite sure what I'm asking but I guess I'm just thinking about the future and back up plans. My goal out of grad school is to continue working on fiction writing and screenwriting. I graduated from undergrad last year with a major in Creative Writing and two minors in Dance and Studio Art. I really think that going to an arts school would suit me well. I believe I'd get the most out of going to graduate school by going to an arts school. SAIC really won my heart when I interviewed. It's been hard not hearing back from them since the interview in February. I did send both professors that interviewed me an email thanking them for interviewing me. I got a response from one but I think I made the right decision in emailing them. I emailed SAIC today after a rejection from Pratt. I was hesitant to email SAIC but I thought it might be a good time to finally inquire. I haven't seen anything on the forum about Boston and decisions that were made this year. I did see some decisions that were made at the beginning of the month for SAIC. Worst outcome would be to not get into SAIC or Boston and I don't really feel that I would gain what I'm looking for from Johns Hopkins MA program. I think the most likely backup plan would be to move to Chicago and take courses at SAIC and continue to write and work (I work remotely) and then apply again next year. Of course, I don't know what is going to happen with SAIC or Boston. I'm really trying to stay positive for SAIC.

This is a really long message. My apologies. But I guess I could just ask for some advice from anyone who's willing. Thanks in advance.

On 3/28/2020 at 4:03 PM, Smrn17 said:

If a school (University of San Francisco and Chapman) does not directly tell you anything about funding, should I just assume that means I get $0? Would it be worth it to ask about money? And if so, does anyone have any advice on how to go about that? 

I didn't apply to these programs, so I don't know how they determine funding. However, it's certainly worth it to ask. You could send something along the lines of:

"Dear [admissions coordinator],

I was recently admitted to X Program, and I haven't received funding information yet. Do you know when admitted students will hear about scholarships and assistantships?

Best,

[your name]"

I usually go short and sweet with these emails, so embellish as needed.

On 3/28/2020 at 1:07 PM, OliveTree1018 said:

Hey all,

I applied to grad programs for the first time this past year for Fall 2020. I applied to seven schools: Pratt, SAIC, University of Iowa, University of Virginia, Boston University, Johns Hopkins, and NYU. Here are my results so far:

Pratt (MFA in Writing) - Rejected (Today)

SAIC (MFA in Writing) - Interviewed (Emailed today to inquire about my status)

University of Iowa (MFA in Fiction) - Rejected

University of Virginia (MFA in Fiction) - Rejected

Boston University (MFA in Screenwriting) - Haven't heard back yet

Johns Hopkins (MA in Writing) - Accepted

NYU (MFA in Fiction) - Rejected

I'm not quite sure what I'm asking but I guess I'm just thinking about the future and back up plans. My goal out of grad school is to continue working on fiction writing and screenwriting. I graduated from undergrad last year with a major in Creative Writing ...

I think the most likely backup plan would be to move to Chicago and take courses at SAIC and continue to write and work (I work remotely) and then apply again next year.

I’d suggest that where you go for graduate work in writing is probably more important than when you go. As you know, you can be a writer outside a grad program, and continue to develop as a writer that way - and it sounds like you are doing that - so there’s generally not all that much time pressure. And even when it comes to timing, if it were me (which of course it isn’t) I might want to take a few years between an undergrad major in creative writing and an MFA program. For most people, an MFA is a once-in-lifetime thing, so I tried to get as far as I could on my own before starting  an MFA, in order to take full advantage of the experience. We will see how that goes this fall, pending coronavirus (which might be another reason to hold off?).

I would emphasize that the above is just my two cents based on no special expertise and in complete ignorance of who you are as a person and your situation. You will know better than me what is right for you. Best of luck!

2 hours ago, dd777dd said:

I’d suggest that where you go for graduate work in writing is probably more important than when you go. As you know, you can be a writer outside a grad program, and continue to develop as a writer that way - and it sounds like you are doing that - so there’s generally not all that much time pressure. And even when it comes to timing, if it were me (which of course it isn’t) I might want to take a few years between an undergrad major in creative writing and an MFA program. For most people, an MFA is a once-in-lifetime thing, so I tried to get as far as I could on my own before starting  an MFA, in order to take full advantage of the experience. We will see how that goes this fall, pending coronavirus (which might be another reason to hold off?).

I would emphasize that the above is just my two cents based on no special expertise and in complete ignorance of who you are as a person and your situation. You will know better than me what is right for you. Best of luck!

Thank you. I really appreciate any advice I can get. I feel like I went into the application process this past year very unaware of what the usual protocol is for like the best steps one can take to get into a graduate program. I think another year just working and writing and maybe taking courses at my top choice might be the best move for me.