2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

5 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

Still haven’t heard anything from Iowa or UC Irvine. What does the group think – hopeful or nah? 

Based on what I'm seeing here and on Draft, I'd say all Iowa acceptances and waitlists are sent. I bet that UC Irvine is still sending theirs out, though; seems like they notify late.

Edited by feralgrad

22 hours ago, Lunafiction said:

Admitted to UNLV (University of Nevada Las Vegas) for fiction last night (or 6 hours ago, so maybe today, depending on your time zone). Very kind email from the program director. There is a high likelihood I will accept the offer, pending full stipend/cost of living information. Very happy, of course. 

I am mostly a lurker here and on draft, but because I used this tool to better learn where I stand with a program I have yet to hear from, but that others have received acceptances from (thus assuming rejection...but whatever, I would have preferred other programs including UNLV...) It was particularly important for me to give back and update you all, since I haven't seen another UNLV fiction admission posted.

Best of luck today if you are still waiting to hear from UNLV fiction--the email was personalised, so it is likely not all admissions have gone out. And if you are considering going/ have a special insight about this program/Las Vegas (I have never been!) let's chat. 

Also was admitted! Congrats! Do you understand the funding breakdown? I’m a little confused where to find the letter. 

3 hours ago, Smrn17 said:

Is anyone here in at University of San Francisco that has received funding?? 

I was admitted, and all they offered was $7500 over three years HA. Tuition is about $20k. I say ask to clarify just in case, but no MFA is worth paying a crazy amount for. 

9 hours ago, anarchisttiger said:

Still haven’t heard anything from Iowa or UC Irvine. What does the group think – hopeful or nah? 

That’s literally where I’m at rn. I called Iowa, and they said letters would be going out this week (to be received by Wednesday / Thursday). That sounded like rejection letters lol. I’ve gotten one in the past. 

As for UCI—I’m flipping my lid trying to figure that out also. On the Results page of this website, it looks like someone already got a call last Thursday, so who knows if they already contacted the next year’s cohort. ?

2 hours ago, mbooks said:

Also was admitted! Congrats! Do you understand the funding breakdown? I’m a little confused where to find the letter. 

CONGRATS! I am also confused.... would love to chat! Do you think you will be attending? I am kind of inlolve with this program, prefer it to even the "super prestigious" programs. The only downfall I see is the meh funding. But if I can feel confident I can attend without going into debt, I think I will accept. Just have to fully understand it and what it means....

Edited by Lunafiction
typo

2 hours ago, PkWriter said:

On the waitlist for NYU.

51 minutes ago, Poesis said:

Now today waitlisted at NYU, someone must have got a spot at Brown or IOWA, congrats and Thank you!

Congrats. Hope you get in. I'm sure there are always people weighing multiple offers. 

Just got my rejection from Hollins. Doesn't sting too bad, since I've been expecting it. I'll be praying that funding comes through from GMU. If not, no dice again this year! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by feralgrad

I emailed Iowa and they replied like this:

All of the letters were mailed out this morning.  If you haven’t received anything within two weeks you can email me back and I will scan at that time.

Sincerely,

Deb West

How they cannot just email people is way beyond me. It's 21st century and you still waste a lot of paper for application and notification purposes. Sorry if I sound a bit too much haha. Got NYU rejection just mins ago and I think for Iowa it'd be an implying rejection (at this point it's quite safe to assume so...)

In the end I failed all overboard this year. Still don't know if I see some of you next year or not. With the application fees not sure I can afford. Well, maybe I'd be writing and keeping manuscripts in my drawers all life then be published posthumously haha. (Well, I still don't know what the future holds for the next few months coz Europe now is crazy with the virus :ss)

Good luck to everyone in your career and many thanks for all your support during this killing wait. Best wishes from Spain.