2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

Important to remember is applying was an accomplishment. Picking yourself up after rejections and disappointments are an accomplishment. And most importantly, THERES NO DEGREE THAT MAKES YOU A WRITER. This process has really opened me up to the variety of ways to be a writer. An MFA is only one path, and one that doesn’t even assure success or publishing or jobs. It helps sure, but it’s not everything.

I would suggest investing in yourself and your writing community first. Join a local group, start one, find out what literary events are near you, go to them, check with colleges & universities near you, find out if non-students can volunteer or join writing groups on campus (the writers group at my alma Mater is open the the community and actually has more community members than students). sometimes you gotta be the change!

Not trying to preach, just trying to share that I’ve learned to be my own advocate more and do it for myself. You’re all wonderful and you’re going to find your way. 

Just woke up to an email I received at 3:28 am my time and IM IN AT UNIVERSITY OF SAN FRANCISCO!!! Kind of a strange email haha but I’m so glad to have a California option. No word on funding yet, so crossing my fingers and toes for that. Another program that I don’t know too much about, but I’m going to go study up. Have a great day all, and hang in there! 

14 minutes ago, Smrn17 said:

Just woke up to an email I received at 3:28 am my time and IM IN AT UNIVERSITY OF SAN FRANCISCO!!! Kind of a strange email haha but I’m so glad to have a California option. No word on funding yet, so crossing my fingers and toes for that. Another program that I don’t know too much about, but I’m going to go study up. Have a great day all, and hang in there! 

Congrats! Fingers crossed about funding. Whoop!

17 hours ago, Yesgirlstoo said:

It seems like historically they send them via mail and many have personal notes which is nice. But the wait is horrible. 

I was accepted for nonfiction at Iowa and am waiting for funding details (I just know it’s 3 years guaranteed according to the program director) but not having heard makes me think rejections will take longer too. 

I've noticed via draft there are several people with many offers. So there will be some movement as people start accepting and rejecting. That should give some hope to those waiting or already on waitlists. 

Just FYI, I got a letter in the post today with details of Iowa admission. It is still not the official letter (from office of admissions that an applicant can accept/decline) so it is going to definitely take some more time. I believe even wait listed students are also notified via post. If people decline before April 15th, you'll get off the wait list. 

I hope I get good news this week. The new coronavirus just hit my city and people are uneasy and tense. I work in the service industry and business has slowed, which means I'm at risk because of my job and also I'm making less money due to fewer people going out. Some good news would really be welcome.

1 hour ago, anarchisttiger said:

I hope I get good news this week. The new coronavirus just hit my city and people are uneasy and tense. I work in the service industry and business has slowed, which means I'm at risk because of my job and also I'm making less money due to fewer people going out. Some good news would really be welcome.

I feel that. This week has been tough for me too, and it's so much harder when our entire lives are up in the air...

cat, funny, and cute image

21 hours ago, Yesgirlstoo said:

Important to remember is applying was an accomplishment. Picking yourself up after rejections and disappointments are an accomplishment. And most importantly, THERES NO DEGREE THAT MAKES YOU A WRITER. This process has really opened me up to the variety of ways to be a writer. An MFA is only one path, and one that doesn’t even assure success or publishing or jobs. It helps sure, but it’s not everything.

I would suggest investing in yourself and your writing community first. Join a local group, start one, find out what literary events are near you, go to them, check with colleges & universities near you, find out if non-students can volunteer or join writing groups on campus (the writers group at my alma Mater is open the the community and actually has more community members than students). sometimes you gotta be the change!

Not trying to preach, just trying to share that I’ve learned to be my own advocate more and do it for myself. You’re all wonderful and you’re going to find your way. 

I needed this like you wouldn't believe. Thank you.

21 hours ago, Yesgirlstoo said:

Yes thanks! I think this is super important. Community workshops have been crucial for me as a writer to grow outside of an academic environment. Also it is good to include these on your CV.

5 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

I know there was some concern over the corona virus earlier, just found out today that my family in Malaysia have all caught the corona virus. Some are in the hospital. Please keep them in your thoughts. Thanks

I am really, really sorry to hear that.

4 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

I know there was some concern over the corona virus earlier, just found out today that my family in Malaysia have all caught the corona virus. Some are in the hospital. Please keep them in your thoughts. Thanks

So sorry to hear this Ydrl. I hope they will be ok. You and your family are in my thoughts.

22 hours ago, Yesgirlstoo said:

Thank you so much for sharing it. I so need these wise words right now. I know my path is certainly not the hardest ones out there but still... Thank you.

4 hours ago, anarchisttiger said:

Galicia just has the first case this morning but I feel like Spanish people don't care that much haha. Anyway we used to think that this region would be unbreakable because transport really sucks and it's not easy to go to Madrid even. Well, but still... I hope you stay strong, and healthy and get good news soon.

25 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Oh no :-o I'm so sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with them. Hope that they'll be cured soon and all best wishes.

31 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Thinking of your family and a speedy recovery.

Well, shoot. Rejected by Iowa. Very nice email, though. It is hard to write a letter that dashes someone's dreams while still leaving them feeling good about themselves after reading the decision. Dr. D'Agata nailed it. 

I'll try again next year. Congrats to those who got in to the Non-Fiction program--please post on Grad Cafe and fill us in on how the first year goes.

5 hours ago, anarchisttiger said:

I am really, really sorry to hear that.

5 hours ago, Ydrl said:

I know it’s hard not to panic. But remember how many people survive and recover. I’m praying they will be ok. 

5 hours ago, Ydrl said:

I know there was some concern over the corona virus earlier, just found out today that my family in Malaysia have all caught the corona virus. Some are in the hospital. Please keep them in your thoughts. T

Edited by Dochinka96

Hey guys I know it’s been a hell of a time as all these decisions roll in. I’m in a bit of a dilemma and it’s kind of driving me nuts. 

Accepted to Minnesota State and Colorado State with full GTA funding. Accepted to Virginia Commonwealth with full tuition but “high on waitlist” for funding, University of Montana sort of same deal. 

Still haven’t heard from four schools, although anticipating rejections. Iowa, Brown, Boise State and Boston U. I have absolutely no idea when I will a) hear back from these schools or b) hear about funding for VCU and Montana. 

Currently on the Ohio State Waitlist, potentially might not hear back until a week after April 15th!

Colorado State just told me they want me to make a decision by March 16th. I’m supposed to call the other programs and find out about timelines, but they just made decisions. Nobody has probably accepted or declined yet. 

I don’t know what to do. I love Colorado, but I feel I shouldn’t be asked to waste my time, money and hard work by at least not waiting to see how all things pan out and consider all schools. I feel like I’m being pushed into accepting an offer and then potentially going back on my word. 

has anyone been dealing with this, or knows someone who has and can offer words of wisdom?  What can happen if you sign a GTA offer and then decide to go somewhere else? Is there a universe where they all talk to each other and I’ll just have everything rescinded? Freaking out. 
Im just lost. 

15 hours ago, Ydrl said:

Oh wow. I'm so sorry about this. 

11 hours ago, Dochinka96 said:

Hey guys I know it’s been a hell of a time as all these decisions roll in. I’m in a bit of a dilemma and it’s kind of driving me nuts.

[...]

What is your top (or top 3) programs? If you don't know yet, figure out ways to narrow it down.

This is when talking with current students really helps! Outline what you most value in a program (e.g. the community, faculty mentorship, strong TA experience, etc.) and ask if the school is likely to meet your needs. I guarantee you this will help you cross a couple names of your list.

For what it's worth, I talked to a current VCU student and decided not to apply. She said the cohort wasn't very tight-knit or collaborative, and that professors were more like workshop leaders than mentors. That's just one person's opinion though, so it might be worth asking someone else. That said, the fact that they can't offer everyone funding *again* and they still haven't updated their website to reflect that really pisses me off...

Anyway, I hope that's helpful! You can also, of course, ask Colorado for an extension.

11 hours ago, Dochinka96 said:

Colorado State just told me they want me to make a decision by March 16th. I’m supposed to call the other programs and find out about timelines, but they just made decisions. Nobody has probably accepted or declined yet. 

Long-time lurker here. This sucks and I'm sorry they're doing this to you. Temple similarly pressured me (asking me for my "likely decision" 1-2 weeks after sending the offer, which would mean I'd be deciding without even getting to go to their open house--and they wouldn't allow me to freely talk to a student). I did some googling around this at the time because I was trying to figure out how to respond--though I ultimately just declined the offer because I have a better one at Ohio and had such a bad feeling about Temple from these communications.

Some advice I saw was to reply to that pressure by gently reminding the school about the April 15 date and that you have the right to wait until then to make your decision. If they're on this list (https://cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGSResolution_Nov2019Revision.pdf) they should be abiding by that date, and not pressuring you. I also think based on this page (https://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution) that if you accepted their offer before 4/15, you could then change your mind and decline (also before 4/15) and be technically fine and following the rules, though it's obviously not an ideal situation.

I guess one thing I'd be thinking about as well is whether you want to go to a school that puts this type of pressure on you to decide early. I got such a bad feeling about Temple when they did this, and it seems that you have some other good offers also on the table. This might be telling you something important about the program's culture, unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, ilifi said:

I guess one thing I'd be thinking about as well is whether you want to go to a school that puts this type of pressure on you to decide early. I got such a bad feeling about Temple when they did this, and it seems that you have some other good offers also on the table. This might be telling you something important about the program's culture, unfortunately.

I can understand why you'd be turned off by Temple's conduct (not letting you talk to a current student is really sketchy...), but I wouldn't agree that asking for an earlier decision is a red flag. This is common for partially-funded programs, as it gives them the opportunity to roll out offers to those on the funding waitlist before April 15th. I'd actually argue that it's more fair to the cohort as a whole.

7 minutes ago, Dochinka96 said:

Thanks everyone. Is it weird to call schools who haven’t notified to ask for an expedited decision?

You can ask when to expect one, but they can't expedite a decision for one person. Adcoms make decisions in person at meetings, and they can't change the schedule now.

1 hour ago, Dochinka96 said:

Colorado isn’t on the list, I guess they aren’t obliged. I just don’t want negative consequences if I agree and then decline

Like @feralgrad said, try to think of your top 3 schools. What if you get admitted to BU, for example, and you have already accepted Colorado state or Ohio? I would ask for an extension really, explain gently/diplomatically that you need more time and see what they say....don't feel pressured into going to a school you don't want to...