2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

4 hours ago, WinterofmyDiscontent said:

Yeah for real what about Johns Hopkins?

Heard on Draft from someone who reached out that they're gonna have "finalists" picked by early next week. Nice and vague. 

According to Draft, results are starting to trickle out. Fingers crossed for y'all!

*Finally* had my scheduled phone call with Sam Chang. A long call. It's official: I'm in for fiction.

I asked if she's done notifying applicants and she said they're a bit behind, with more folks to inform. Looks like more people have good news waiting.

5 hours ago, WinterofmyDiscontent said:

Yeah for real what about Johns Hopkins?

Heard on Draft from someone who reached out that they're gonna have "finalists" picked by early next week. Nice and vague. 

I got an email to check my portal yesterday around 4:30 and it was a rejection (I’m a poet btw). I was vague because I thought a bunch of other people would be posting rejections, but no one else did LMAO so that feels great. But I can’t realllllly complain because they wanted the GRE and I refused to take it hahaha.

I saw some rejections in January for poetry, so I’m making myself feel better by thinking that I at least got through to the second round of rejections ? 

1 hour ago, SomethingBorrowed said:

*Finally* had my scheduled phone call with Sam Chang. A long call. It's official: I'm in for fiction.

I asked if she's done notifying applicants and she said they're a bit behind, with more folks to inform. Looks like more people have good news waiting.

Forgot to add: she said they had over a thousand applications for fiction alone. 

2 hours ago, SomethingBorrowed said:

Thanks for asking and looking out for us! Congrats on your acceptance! 

1 hour ago, Smrn17 said:

I got an email to check my portal yesterday around 4:30 and it was a rejection (I’m a poet btw). I was vague because I thought a bunch of other people would be posting rejections, but no one else did LMAO so that feels great. But I can’t realllllly complain because they wanted the GRE and I refused to take it hahaha.

I saw some rejections in January for poetry, so I’m making myself feel better by thinking that I at least got through to the second round of rejections ? 

I bet you're right about making it through to the second round! I saw those rejections for poetry back in January. I'm a fiction writer, and it seems like the decisions for fiction are way behind poetry. 

4 hours ago, SomethingBorrowed said:

Congratulations!! Also, the suspense is actually killing me. 

13 hours ago, SomethingBorrowed said:

Forgot to add: she said they had over a thousand applications for fiction alone. 

That's a lot, my god! Are you waiting for any more results?

15 hours ago, SomethingBorrowed said:

Official congrats to you! honestly my call was less than a minute because I was too shocked to say anything lol!

Edited by rbr542

3 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

Iowa finally emailed me back to say ALL decision letters will go out next week. 

@SomethingBorrowed thanks for looking out!

This is probably for the letters letter you know, the official stuff. I think based on what @SomethingBorrowed was told there are few more unofficial phone call notifications left.

edit: looks like BU has begun calling? saw notification for poetry.

Edited by rbr542

1 hour ago, rbr542 said:

That's a lot, my god! Are you waiting for any more results?

Official congrats to you! honestly my call was less than a minute because I was too shocked to say anything lol!

Yeah, waiting on JHU, UVA and Brown. Iowa’s my top choice though, so at this point I’m pretty much settled.

We were on the phone for over 20 minutes! I could only get a few words in, and the notifications question. She offered to introduce me to the cohort next Tuesday through FaceTime, and said she’ll send me some email addresses so they can talk to me about the program. Iowa was always my top choice, but she really SOLD it to me.

22 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

Poetry too. I didn't specify fiction or poetry in my email.

Huh, I wonder what happened to all the poetry acceptance notifications, that’s a bit concerning.

Uh, so I never noticed the 2nd poetry acceptance for IWW. If you search “Iww poetry” it comes up. Looks like there weren’t a lot of accepted poets on gradcafe this year, either that, or they’re rolling out poetry acceptances super slow.

10 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Uh, so I never noticed the 2nd poetry acceptance for IWW. If you search “Iww poetry” it comes up. Looks like there weren’t a lot of accepted poets on gradcafe this year, either that, or they’re rolling out poetry acceptances super slow.

Based on what I've seen here and in Draft, I think results are trickling out. I hope that's more reassuring than frustrating.

3 minutes ago, Lemonlaw said:

This has been on my mind for a while: How do you think calls are made? Alphabetically or randomly without any order? 

I think it depends on the program. My theory is that some of them are split up by professor (presumably one who defended your application to the adcom), and the professor orders them however they see fit. I've often wondered too!

Edited by feralgrad

3 hours ago, SomethingBorrowed said:

Yeah, waiting on JHU, UVA and Brown. Iowa’s my top choice though, so at this point I’m pretty much settled.

We were on the phone for over 20 minutes! I could only get a few words in, and the notifications question. She offered to introduce me to the cohort next Tuesday through FaceTime, and said she’ll send me some email addresses so they can talk to me about the program. Iowa was always my top choice, but she really SOLD it to me.

I'm so happy for you. Congratulations!

Ahh, I got my first acceptance of the season! UNC Greensboro! Fully funded, close to friends, and Xhenet Aliu on faculty. :) After sitting on 3 waitlists, it feels amazing to have a solid offer. Hope you guys are taking care of yourselves and have some good news coming your way.

And a huge congrats to all the acceptances I've seen! So proud.

22 hours ago, presentperfect said:

Anyone have thoughts about when UVA might release decisions?

This is somewhat mysterious. From website: Decisions on admission into the Creative Writing Program will be announced by April 1 of each year, though we generally try to make our notifications several weeks before that date. 

For fiction last year rejections were March 11 and in 2018 they were March 20.  

Also from results board: Somewhat nice rejection letter. I heard a rumor that accepted folk were told a week or so beforehand, and were not allowed to post about it. Hope this information helps for those of you waiting next year (2020)