2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

11 minutes ago, jen20 said:

congrats,..great news...is it for poetry

Oh sorry I didn’t say. CNF so the NWP, bit different from iww I think. But maybe it’s good. Still means there’s hope!! Good luck all

and thank you all. It’s so so exciting

43 minutes ago, Yesgirlstoo said:

Oh sorry I didn’t say. CNF so the NWP, bit different from iww I think. But maybe it’s good. Still means there’s hope!! Good luck all

and thank you all. It’s so so exciting

Yay! Congrats congrats! And if I missed anyone else’s...congrats to you!!!!

HELP! 

Folks, I need help. I'm totally blanking on questions to ask the director of Minnesota State. 

Could folks share with me any lists they themselves have come up with? About me: Fiction, only interested in literary fiction, editing is a huge area of weakness as opposed to generating. Interested in working in short story and novella. 

I have some in mind I just cant help feeling Ill miss something big. 

17 minutes ago, Dochinka96 said:

HELP! 

Folks, I need help. I'm totally blanking on questions to ask the director of Minnesota State. 

Could folks share with me any lists they themselves have come up with? About me: Fiction, only interested in literary fiction, editing is a huge area of weakness as opposed to generating. Interested in working in short story and novella. 

I have some in mind I just cant help feeling Ill miss something big. 

Maybe try asking questions about their Creative Writing/English department, about how its resources can help you succeed. I don't know anything about their program, but maybe, using what you know about them, you could ask how they've connected students with publishing opportunities in the past, what kinds of opportunities there are for TA-ships (even if you're not actually interested), etc. 

I'm imagining it's like those questions at the end of a job interview, in the sense that if you express your familiarity with details of the program, and show concern over how those resources can aid your success, you'll demonstrate your ambition and also the fact that you care enough about their program to know its specifics. 

Sorry if this is poor/obvious advice, but hey I tried! ^^;

Edited by doe-ish

29 minutes ago, rbr542 said:

Omg awesome! Many many congratulations!! I hope we meet there.

Yes! I know the writers workshop and nonfiction program are separate but I would hope as writers and people we can cross paths with other genres and majors lol! 

@Dochinka96 I totally agree w/ @doe-ish's approach to the interview questions and that it's that balance of showing that you've researched while expressing interest (so, y'know, don't ask how large the cohort is, if their website says it. but you COULD spin that into "why does the program choose to select [#] students; how do you think a cohort of that size impacts the students' experience?). my only specific add would be to ask the director what initially drew them to MN State, what has surprised them in their time there, and what keeps them there. gives a chance to connect more personally with the interviewer and to learn what, in their eyes, sets the program apart from similar ones. 

and of course it's an opportunity to actually learn about the program's ethos and approach. super simple, but maybe it'd be helpful for you to make a list of all the elements of a hypothetical dream program, and then if you're not sure whether MN State has/doesn't have any of those things, ask! good luck!!!

and congrats @Yesgirlstoo ! (and any other acceptances I missed!)

Edited by pirhiaa20

Are there many other non-traditional-ish student types out there applying this year? Like are there other folks in the workforce trying to make it into some of these programs to ultimately make space for what "it" needs? The ever illusive IT! I've obsessed over my application materials as these announcements have trickled out, and I applied to very few programs. I worry I don't speak the right lingo to trigger the right reaction from a panel of grad school applicant readers. And I must say, the new personal statement that now sits somewhere JUST ABOVE MY HEAD is marvelous compared to what I sent; today, of course, I can SO MUCH MORE CLEARLY state my life's larger purpose and intent in their relation to words and language. Do you know this feeling? Tell me you know this feeling! MFA apps off-kilter feels very different from regular off-kilter. It seems to result in a drastic obsession far beyond what is typical or really even acceptable. 

5 hours ago, Riverrunner9 said:

Are there many other non-traditional-ish student types out there applying this year? Like are there other folks in the workforce trying to make it into some of these programs to ultimately make space for what "it" needs? The ever illusive IT! I've obsessed over my application materials as these announcements have trickled out, and I applied to very few programs. I worry I don't speak the right lingo to trigger the right reaction from a panel of grad school applicant readers. And I must say, the new personal statement that now sits somewhere JUST ABOVE MY HEAD is marvelous compared to what I sent; today, of course, I can SO MUCH MORE CLEARLY state my life's larger purpose and intent in their relation to words and language. Do you know this feeling? Tell me you know this feeling! MFA apps off-kilter feels very different from regular off-kilter. It seems to result in a drastic obsession far beyond what is typical or really even acceptable. 

Many! I'm a non-trad student as well, MFA would be a second career, basically, and I know that its pretty common, may even be an advantage because you have proven your commitment already, by giving up a current job and education etc.,. The writing sample is the, the, the most important part of you app. If that is great, then a less than stellar personal statement won't hurt you. The general advice is to not read app materials after you submit to avoid adding the I-wish-I-did-this to the already deadly combination of waiting, suspense and disappointment. Try to take your mind of things by doing other stuff, a few mistakes in the personal statement won't hurt you. Good luck.

I’m a non-traditional student as well. I work a full-time, hectic ass job who’s making a radical life change by deciding to pursue writing. Especially writing fiction. I also feel like I could’ve done a better job on my statement, but what’s done is done. If I’m not accepted this cycle, there’s always next year. 

2 minutes ago, GernderKitten said:

I got an email from John D'Agata asking to schedule a phone call. I'm assuming (hoping) that it's good news! :)

I don't think Iowa NWP does interviews or calls waitlisters, right?

(Adding: it makes sense that he would email me b/c my American phone is offline, lol)

Yay! congrats!! I believe they email or send by post for waited applicants. You are in!

edit: ???

Edited by rbr542

Also, just wanted to chime in and say that yes, there's definitely other non-trad students here. I don't know what "IT" is, but I'm sure that whatever happens, you'll find your way. You have that much more experience and stories to tell. I think that that's awesome.

39 minutes ago, GernderKitten said:

I got an email from John D'Agata asking to schedule a phone call. I'm assuming (hoping) that it's good news! :)

(Adding: it makes sense that he would email me b/c my American phone is offline, lol)

Congratulations! Got the same mail (from Sam Chang though) and been anxious as hell. But fingers crossed it’s great news.

41 minutes ago, GernderKitten said:

Hey congratulations! All your hard work is paying off :)