2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

Wow what a day! Dorthothea Lasky just phoned me I screamed in the middle of an Art Gallery with my class and prof's around!

Dorothea is one of my poetry hero's 2764.png❤️ 2764.png❤️ 2764.png❤️
The sun shines despite corona virus

Then I had to rush back to studio art campus and get all my painting supplies (paint major) as my school is closing to keep everyone safe.

Was about to accept Brooklyn, still most likely will due to costs of Columbia even with Scholarships, but I pray the funds will come!

14 minutes ago, Poesis said:

Wow what a day! Dorthothea Lasky just phoned me I screamed in the middle of an Art Gallery with my class and prof's around!

Then I had to rush back to studio art campus and get all my painting supplies (paint major) as my school is closing to keep everyone safe.

Was about to accept Brooklyn, still most likely will due to costs of Columbia even with Scholarships, but I pray the funds will come!

Congratulations!! Awesome that you got a call from her. I love Astropoets!!

5 hours ago, Poesis said:

Are all Columbia acceptances out?

12 hours ago, Lunafiction said:

so worried about funding...ahah

Same, dawg... Based on Draft and my communications with GMU, there's a good chance I won't hear about funding until April. Apparently this happens every year.

You got into UNLV, right? Don't they fund everyone?

53 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

Same, dawg... Based on Draft and my communications with GMU, there's a good chance I won't hear about funding until April. Apparently this happens every year.

You got into UNLV, right? Don't they fund everyone?

yes, they fund everyone but  I don't think the stipend is realistically live-able, at least not by any calculations I am doing, and you have to pay around 3k for health insurance each year ..No matter what the reality is and what I decide (I have other options), I want to make sure I do it with all the information in front of me, and despite googeling frantically, I am just not sure I can really tell if I will or will not go into debt and by how much, so it's just stressful. I will feel better once I commit to an answer either way I'm sure

What's the situation like with GMU?

Edited by Lunafiction

9 minutes ago, Lunafiction said:

And I don't want to be the asshole that doesn't reply to an offer given in March until April

I appreciate your concern for people in the program and other applicants, but waiting doesn't make you an asshole. You're making a life-altering choice, so you shouldn't feel bad about taking your time; that's simply the smart thing to do. If you're certain you don't want to go to the other school that accepted you, however, it would be kind to turn it down now. Can I ask why you don't want to attend the better funded program, though?

As for GMU, it fully funds about 2/3rds of its students. However, offers come out on a rolling basis. I know that at least one person has been offered a TAship (which they turned down), and since then no one on Draft has heard anything. I'm trying to stay hopeful since I was a first round acceptance (seems like they started sending out more acceptances this week), but it's nerve-wracking. One of the program vets I spoke to told me they heard in late April...

Anyone been in contact with Riverside? I’m feeling like today’s the day to call them before another dragging weekend, but I’m nervous lmao

36 minutes ago, Smrn17 said:

Anyone been in contact with Riverside? I’m feeling like today’s the day to call them before another dragging weekend, but I’m nervous lmao

Just saw this on Draft:
"For those waiting on UC Riverside: I just got off the phone with Michael Jayme and he said they are about halfway through admissions! They are accepting 3 nonfiction, 4 fiction, 4 poetry (I’m not sure about those who applied in Writing for the Performing Arts). Those numbers are set to ensure all admitted students have a TA position in the 2nd year. Complications with corona are affecting the speed of the process, but you should be hearing soon!"

Hey guys, new to this site. Really great to find a community of anxious applicants to commiserate with. 

I'm a poet, and I received word that I was waitlisted for NYU on Tuesday. I've been rejected from Iowa, The Michener Center (number one choice, I've worked with Dean Young all year as an undergrad and it's been incredible ?), Oregon, and I still haven't heard anything back from Boston. 

I've been lurking on this thread, but it's really long; does anybody have any insight on the NYU waitlist? When do you think we'll hear back? And I've seen some people mention Boston has started sending acceptance letters -- anybody been rejected yet?

Thanks, and godspeed, everyone. 

Edited by lagnablues

13 hours ago, Intrufly said:

Are all Columbia acceptances out?

I think they are still calling people, Dorothea, said my letters and emails from actual GSAS would take longer than usual as they converted to online, so for me to be patient for letters et all.

8 hours ago, feralgrad said:

I appreciate your concern for people in the program and other applicants, but waiting doesn't make you an asshole. You're making a life-altering choice, so you shouldn't feel bad about taking your time; that's simply the smart thing to do. If you're certain you don't want to go to the other school that accepted you, however, it would be kind to turn it down now. Can I ask why you don't want to attend the better funded program, though?

As for GMU, it fully funds about 2/3rds of its students. However, offers come out on a rolling basis. I know that at least one person has been offered a TAship (which they turned down), and since then no one on Draft has heard anything. I'm trying to stay hopeful since I was a first round acceptance (seems like they started sending out more acceptances this week), but it's nerve-wracking. One of the program vets I spoke to told me they heard in late April...

I like it a little better than the better funded program in terms of the fiction faculty, the opportunities, the international aspect, the city...I also didn't realise their 15k stipend is before they deduct about 3k for health insurance, so I didn't think it was a big deal that they were slightly less funded than the other programs and was so excited to follow my bliss regardless of program rank and funding...but now that I understand the stipend is really 12k (for 20 weekly work hours), and they have 0 additional funds one can hope to get by way of fellowships or scholarships or anything for later years, I guess I just need to process that and see if that is something I can feel comfortable doing regardless of my initial excitement....my heart is still leaning there but we'll see. I think I will take your advice and not feel too bad about taking a few weeks to decide. 

late April is really late...I hope you hear before then. if you are not fully funded or funded enough for your liking, will u still attend? 

53 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

Has anyone else *not* heard back from Iowa, or am I the only applicant they are ignoring? Never thought I’d be anxiously awaiting a rejection! 

Also haven't heard, but my guess is just that the mail is slow. I'd give it another week and then call.

17 hours ago, Lunafiction said:

I like it a little better than the better funded program in terms of the fiction faculty, the opportunities, the international aspect, the city...I also didn't realise their 15k stipend is before they deduct about 3k for health insurance, so I didn't think it was a big deal that they were slightly less funded than the other programs and was so excited to follow my bliss regardless of program rank and funding...but now that I understand the stipend is really 12k (for 20 weekly work hours), and they have 0 additional funds one can hope to get by way of fellowships or scholarships or anything for later years, I guess I just need to process that and see if that is something I can feel comfortable doing regardless of my initial excitement....my heart is still leaning there but we'll see. I think I will take your advice and not feel too bad about taking a few weeks to decide. 

late April is really late...I hope you hear before then. if you are not fully funded or funded enough for your liking, will u still attend? 

Those are strong reasons to favor a program. It's unfortunate, though, that your options for extra funds are limited... Personally, I think trying to work a part-time job on top of TA duties would be more than I could handle. Plus, the whole point of the MFA is having time to write -- and would you really have time with another job? Your other option is a loan, which I would favor if it wasn't more than $15-20k for the duration of the program (since that's easy enough to pay off, in my opinion). 

Also apologies if you weren't looking for advice. Those are just my thoughts as a third party who knows nothing about your personal circumstances.

As for me, if I don't get funded, I won't go. It would be too much debt, and the financial stress would make it hard to fully enjoy the program... I've harped on this many times on this site, but I consider financial freedom a bigger boon than an MFA when it comes to """making it""" as a writer (whatever that means).

Edited by feralgrad

10 hours ago, feralgrad said:

Those are strong reasons to favor a program. It's unfortunate, though, that your options for extra funds are limited... Personally, I think trying to work a part-time job on top of TA duties would be more than I could handle. Plus, the whole point of the MFA is having time to write -- and would you really have time with another job? Your other option is a loan, which I would favor if it wasn't more than $15-20k for the duration of the program (since that's easy enough to pay off, in my opinion). 

Also apologies if you weren't looking for advice. Those are just my thoughts as a third party who knows nothing about your personal circumstances.

As for me, if I don't get funded, I won't go. It would be too much debt, and the financial stress would make it hard to fully enjoy the program... I've harped on this many times on this site, but I consider financial freedom a bigger boon than an MFA when it comes to """making it""" as a writer (whatever that means).

I 100% agree with you. I love having some one to talk to about this. also I can't take a part time extra job because not a citizen, so not an option. I agree with you but I think for a degree like a cw mfa, 20k debt is too much. that is alot to pay for a degree that in all likelihood would not benefit your financial status one bit. with this corona crisis, we see just how easy it is for things to fall apart. I think 10k maybe is a acceptable risk....

Well, I just found this after having applied for eight schools on my own, not knowing there is was great support system that existed. I'm still scrolling through endless pages that give me a lot of peace through this process. I'll let you all know what schools I applied to and what I've heard back from.

Iowa: Rejection, but such a sweet letter.

UC San Diego: No reply

University of Montana: No reply

Hollins University: Waitlisted

Oregon State: Rejected

Emerson College in Boston: No reply

Western Washington: Waitlisted

Eastern Washington: Accepted

So I guess Eastern Washington is waiting for me to send an official transcript after I've received my degree, which won't happen until May. Does anyone know what I can anticipate in terms of financial packages in the meantime? Also, any news on the two schools I was wait listed for? Again, I'm still scrolling to cover my ground, but if any of you know anything let me know! :)

I should also add that I am a creative nonfiction applicant in almost all of these instances. I'm having a hard time remembering off the top of my head which programs are multi-genre, but if they are separated I most commonly applied for nonfiction and marketed myself as such.

Edited by Jreanier

On 3/10/2020 at 9:54 PM, Always_Waiting said:

Hi, I am an international poetry applicant. 3 questions:

1. What's the poetry course at Sarah Lawrence College like? Accepted but with very little funding.

2. Waitlisted by NYU. What has waitlist movement been like in the past? By when can I definitely expect a decision one way or another?

3. Typical sources of funding for international applicants?

Haven't posted before but it's been a wonderful source of support reading messages in this community. Was rejected by Brown a few hours ago, so really hoping one of my other options works out!

Heard anything back yet from NYU? I'm in the same boat -- I got an email informing me I made the waitlist, but nothing has changed on the online portal, which is a little bit anxiety provoking (albeit irrationally so...)

On another note; anybody have info on BU? Haven't heard anything yet, last one I'm waiting on. 

Edited by lagnablues

8 hours ago, lagnablues said:

Heard anything back yet from NYU? I'm in the same boat -- I got an email informing me I made the waitlist, but nothing has changed on the online portal, which is a little bit anxiety provoking (albeit irrationally so...)

On another note; anybody have info on BU? Haven't heard anything yet, last one I'm waiting on. 

Same! NYU waitlist and BU. 

On 3/14/2020 at 10:28 PM, Lunafiction said:

I 100% agree with you. I love having some one to talk to about this. also I can't take a part time extra job because not a citizen, so not an option. I agree with you but I think for a degree like a cw mfa, 20k debt is too much. that is alot to pay for a degree that in all likelihood would not benefit your financial status one bit. with this corona crisis, we see just how easy it is for things to fall apart. I think 10k maybe is a acceptable risk....

I'm glad I can help you hash it out! And that's true, we really can't take anything for granted...

I hope you're able to work something out, and let us know what you decide! At the very least, you can rest easy knowing that you'll definitely be attending a program this fall.

11 hours ago, lagnablues said:

Still waiting for NYU to get back... I understand that last year, someone on the waitlist heard back from NYU in June. Not sure about the validity of this info, but sharing what I've heard if that helps frame worst-case-scenario timelines :)

I know from Draft that BU has sent out one poetry acceptance. (Also waiting to hear from them!)

Good luck!

46 minutes ago, Always_Waiting said:

Still waiting for NYU to get back... I understand that last year, someone on the waitlist heard back from NYU in June. Not sure about the validity of this info, but sharing what I've heard if that helps frame worst-case-scenario timelines :)

I know from Draft that BU has sent out one poetry acceptance. (Also waiting to hear from them!)

Good luck!

I really appreciate the info! I do wonder if things will be even slower this year given the whole, you know, pandemic situation... it really puts things in perspective. Good luck to both of you guys, though -- if anybody is accepted or removed, I'd love if you could let me know; I'll do the same! Fingers still crossed on BU. 

A side note -- if anybody has the ability to let me into draft, my membership has been pending for a couple of days ? 

Edited by lagnablues