2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

On 3/30/2020 at 1:57 PM, Lemonlaw said:

Hi Everyone! Just wanted to ask your opinion of The New School. Is their MFA program good? What tier would you consider it to be? Top? Mid? Low?

I don't think MFA programs have tiers the same way most other disciplines do. That said, I've heard mixed reviews of the New School, mostly owing to the price tag. I've also heard complaints about the large size of the cohort. However, there are some people on Draft who've attended the program and have positive things to say.

I'd worry less about reputation and more about whether this program is the right fit. For me, the class size and cost would not be ideal.

Edited by feralgrad

I still haven’t heard from Riverside or Arizona State University. I know it’s got to be bad news, but I can’t seem to move forward without those decisions in writing. I’ve emailed Riverside with no response. Has anyone gotten their rejections from these two programs? What should I do? 

Just enthusiastically accepted my offer at Rutgers-Newark. 

Might be good for someone on Columbia's waitlist. Also whoever is #7 on the Minnesota waitlist is now #6. 

Rock & roll! 

By the way everyone this is my third year, and if anybody is considering reapplying next year, let me offer my 2 cents:

Do it! But also: Don't put your life on hold! You should still be taking cool opportunities and trying new things! This sounds obvious but lord, I wish i'd followed it. 

Hi everyone,

This may be a bit premature, but I wanted some advice. I have two acceptances and two waitlists. So far my two acceptances haven't given me like any money. Eastern Washington, one of the acceptances, suggested I do the Western Exchange program, which I already planned on, with in-state tuition and I do have a grant I used for my undergrad to pay those costs. The money they did offer me themselves was about 4k. But they were also wanting a decision they day they told me all of that and really brushed me off when I asked how much time I had to decide. One of my professors that wrote my recommendation letters thinks that the school isn't something I should go to because they didn't offer me a teaching position, which is a HUGE component of what I want out of an MFA degree. He doesn't seem to think the school has a reputable program.

However I also got an acceptance from Emerson College in Boston. They offered me no funding but said there are a ton of private scholarships, and you can't apply for a teaching position until September, which means you take a course all your first year to try and get a teaching position, which does not offer tuition remission and is also not guaranteed. I do feel pretty confident in remaining competitive on that level, at least so far as I know from tutoring the past couple years, but my professor seems not to like those odds. One thing though, is that I love the idea of being in Boston. But it's soooo expensive. The professor I mentioned seemed to think taking a year off and applying again was a good idea.

I know you're not supposed to overly listen to everyone around you, but up until I found GradCafe and Draft, I didn't have anyone to help me navigate this process. These people know me pretty well and I do have a hard time getting them out of my head. I worry about the finances of Boston but I love the prospect of the opportunities in that area. I feel iffy about Eastern but I also know I have some other teachers who are really pumped about the idea that suggested the school in the first place. 

I was also waitlisted for Hollins and Western Washington, but I'm getting a little worried if the waiting list has been moving and I still haven't heard. What do you all think? Should I be waiting another year? I so badly want to go this fall and was even willing to go somewhere without full funding to do so and take out a little debt. But I feel hesitant and I can't tell if these two programs were like, maybe scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of funding. 

@Jreanier  

I've written at length on this topic several times (including here), but I'll keep it short today.

1. It will not be a little debt. Your monthly loan costs post-graduation would be several hundred dollars a month. I'd encourage you to check out a loan repayment calculator for a clearer idea. That was my wake-up call last year, when I was thinking of going to a program without full funding. $300 a month can be back-breaking when you're an over-educated millennial in today's job market.

2. We will most likely be in a recession when you graduate due to the pandemic.

Take a good hard look at your finances/family resources and consider what the next 10 years would look like post-MFA. Maybe, unlike me, you could make it work. But personally, I would have suffered for decades for 2-3 years of fun.

@feralgrad

How are you?

Since you are in an advice giving mood and I trust your judgment

(and I 100% agree with his advice here @Jreanier. Unless you are EXTREMELY independently wealthy, AND certain the ONLY program you want to go to is the one that happens not to offer full funding for some reason, don't do it. It is even a bad idea to go to a program that offers a living stipend that is not so high. If you have to borrow more than 1-2k for your living and tuition expenses throughout the three years, don't do it). 

I for some reason can't get approved on draft... 

I am about to make my decision in the next two days (took my time like you suggested!) 

Do you know of a place that offers an appropriate decline note?

Same for asking to be removed from a waitlist....

@Lunafiction Doing as well as I can! There's a lot up in the air, MFA-wise and otherwise, but I've been working on a project that's keeping me occupied.

In answer to your question, I would say something like,

"Dear X,

Thank you for your generous offer/waitlist spot. However, I've decided to attend a program that's a better fit for me.

Best,

Lunafiction"

In my opinion, concision is more polite that padding your words in email communication. I'd keep it short, sweet, and to the point, as they say.

Is the advice for Eastern Washington the same? What do you guys think of that school?

Also thank you both for your honesty. I definitely probably needed a wake-up call with that. I've never actually gone into debt because I've had free rent from my parents, but I am definitely NOT wealthy on any level. I mostly have gotten away with scholarships and grants to pay for my college so far. So you're definitely right that I shouldn't go to Boston. ? 

What sorts of things have any of you done on your off years between applications? My main issue is that I live in Montana and there's not a ton of writing jobs. Hard to think of not moving forward in some kind of way. 

7 hours ago, feralgrad said:

@Lunafiction Doing as well as I can! There's a lot up in the air, MFA-wise and otherwise, but I've been working on a project that's keeping me occupied.

In answer to your question, I would say something like,

"Dear X,

Thank you for your generous offer/waitlist spot. However, I've decided to attend a program that's a better fit for me.

Best,

Lunafiction"

In my opinion, concision is more polite that padding your words in email communication. I'd keep it short, sweet, and to the point, as they say.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Jreanier said:

Is the advice for Eastern Washington the same? What do you guys think of that school?

Also thank you both for your honesty. I definitely probably needed a wake-up call with that. I've never actually gone into debt because I've had free rent from my parents, but I am definitely NOT wealthy on any level. I mostly have gotten away with scholarships and grants to pay for my college so far. So you're definitely right that I shouldn't go to Boston. ? 

What sorts of things have any of you done on your off years between applications? My main issue is that I live in Montana and there's not a ton of writing jobs. Hard to think of not moving forward in some kind of way. 

I live in a place where there are 0 writing jobs as well. I would venture to guess even less than Montana. 

My advice for you is....a year is not a long time. You are lucky to have rent paid for by parents. I def enjoyed that for many years. And the more experiences you get in life, whatever work you do, the more you'll have to write about. Save as much money as you can, work on your writing, and next year apply ONLY to fully funded programs. 

If the East Washington program means going into debt, I wouldn't do it, but I don't know about the program

It wouldn't mean going into debt with the offer I got but it would mean no teaching positions, even prospectively, which is something I really want. ? They have like community teaching but I don't think that'll prepare me for teaching at the University level and people hiring might see that.

Hi! I'm on the Michigan waitlist for fiction and am, to put it mildly, losing my mind. I had a phone call with Michael Byers and he kept emphasizing how short the waitlist was - but does anyone have any insight as to how short it might actually be? I know there's been at least one acceptance off the waitlist already. Any veterans with experience?

Alternately, if you're deciding between Michigan and another program - how can I convince you to choose the other? (I'm kidding. Everyone should choose the program that's best for them! But, seriously.)

Hi, I know this forum is a little dead now but has anyone heard from Arizona State University? I emailed them because I felt like I needed my last rejection in writing before I could move on and pick a program and they actually told me I wasn’t rejected and that they are still considering my application?? Even though initial acceptances and wait lists had gone out. Is this like long wait list? They told me they would let me know on or shortly after April 15th, which obviously doesn’t work for me when I’m considering other offers that need to be solidified by then. I committed to a school yesterday though because I was scared to wait longer with Covid-19 related budget problems and funding being pulled. I know it will probably be a rejection from ASU, just a later one, but am I crazy for holding hope in the back of my heart/ has anyone gotten a similar response from them?

On 4/10/2020 at 11:56 PM, realslimshady said:

Hi! I'm on the Michigan waitlist for fiction and am, to put it mildly, losing my mind. I had a phone call with Michael Byers and he kept emphasizing how short the waitlist was - but does anyone have any insight as to how short it might actually be? I know there's been at least one acceptance off the waitlist already. Any veterans with experience?

Alternately, if you're deciding between Michigan and another program - how can I convince you to choose the other? (I'm kidding. Everyone should choose the program that's best for them! But, seriously.)

Hi there!

Not sure if you’re on The Draft, but it seems that there can’t be more than around 5 people on the waitlist for Fiction. 

Also, as someone who is on the waitlist with ya, don’t give up hope! Michigan is known for offering spots to a number of people on the waitlist each year. I heard 3 people were offered spots one year? From Michael’s last email, it sounds like they might not be able to extend any more offers until the 15th or even after, which could be a bummer for those of us considering offers from other schools. 

Hopefully there’s room for us in the cohort this year, but if not there’s always next year!

On 3/8/2020 at 12:41 PM, rockythehyrax said:

Does anyone know much about the culture at Hunter's program? I have an interview with them coming up, and I've heard that it's a little kooky - or maybe even unhealthy - there. Don't know how concerned I should be. (Apologies to people in Draft who saw me ask this question over there as well. ?)

On 3/8/2020 at 5:23 PM, catkin said:

Interested to hear more about Hunter’s culture too. 

Any news on this front about Hunter?

Hi everyone!! Now that my Draft season is over... (hopefully barring any covid-19 weirdness), I thought I'd contribute my own data —

Applied to 10 programs, was accepted to UMass-Amherst, New School (presidential scholarship, which is 75% tuition cover), and waitlisted at Michigan. Rejected everywhere else.

Committed to Amherst today! I was offered full funding (as was everyone else in the cohort I believe) through a TA position. This was my first application cycle, I submitted with two short stories, one realism and one spec. I had no prior big publications (just collegiate magazines), and I was one year out from undergrad. Happy to answer any questions about what I learned about Amherst/New School if people are considering applying there next year. 

I've loved lurking on gradcafe, and am so impressed by everyone's work!! I work on a small lit magazine in desperate need of submissions for Issue II if any you guys would like to get another (albeit small, but cute) publication under your belt for next year: https://www.overheardlit.com/issue-ii-obsession-submit

Thanks team & keep writing!! 

On 1/14/2020 at 7:54 AM, Ydrl said:

@anarchisttiger I should probably go back to crocheting, drawing, and painting because those were pretty welcome distractions. I’m not really writing anything I like at the moment and I really don’t want to go back to past works and be disappointed by myself. The anxiety is killing me too.

Anyone else having dreams about this stuff now? I literally had a dream last night where the whole US had a massive snowstorm so the notifications all got pushed back to March.

anyone still waiting to hear back post-pandemic? I got waitlisted for NYU back in Feb, Phase II for UMiss, and no word from Hunter or Rutgers Newark. The anxiety is killing me.