2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

2 hours ago, Ydrl said:

So I just have this feeling that today is going to be either a bloodbath or a great time for a lot of people, cause it’s Friday and schools like to do that to people. Idk about Iowa applicants though, there hasn’t been a peep about poetry or CNF and fiction is at a stalemate. Good luck everybody.

[banging cutlery on table in anticipation]

EDIT: Just checked the results page and realized that Hollins acceptances are highly likely to come out today. Pray for me...

Edited by feralgrad

11 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

[banging cutlery on table in anticipation]

EDIT: Just checked the results page and realized that Hollins acceptances are highly likely to come out today. Pray for me...

[bangs empty cup on table while the people of Barnes and Noble watch]

Go and snatch that acceptance right out of their hands!

Iowa poetry could come out today, but idk if I should expect anything until later in the day. Probably should just wait for my rejection in the mail tbh.

This might be an out there theory, and I certainly don’t want to say anything politically divisive. But I noticed, when Trump was elected in 2016, my undergrad institution got behind on everything. It really affects us. I feel like this year has been so anxiety inducing in terms of what’s happening in our government...it depresses us and makes us slower and even paralyzed. 
I’m sure there are other factors of course. But when there’s this constant buzz about the state of our nation, it certainly affects my productivity and priorities. We still have to do our jobs, of course....but we are all just trying to survive mentally.

Edited by Dochinka96

3 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

[bangs empty cup on table while the people of Barnes and Noble watch]

Go and snatch that acceptance right out of their hands!

Iowa poetry could come out today, but idk if I should expect anything until later in the day. Probably should just wait for my rejection in the mail tbh.

Really rooting for you today. I’ve become much less attached about Iowa just because of the time that has passed since Monday. Right now Michigan seems to be most likely for today

Just now, Dochinka96 said:

This might be an out there theory, and I certainly don’t want to say anything politically divisive. But I noticed, when Trump was elected in 2016, my undergrad institution got behind on everything. It really affects us. I feel like this year has been so anxiety inducing in terms of what’s happening in our government...it depresses us and makes us slower and even paralyzed. 
I’m sure there are other factors of course. But when there’s this constant buzz about the state of our nation, it certainly affects my productivity and priorities. We still have to do our jobs, of course....but we are just trying to survive. 

Well since there’s no debunking this, I’m also gonna hop aboard this train and add my own car. Since more and more people are applying, the same amount of people reading, and this being an election year, maybe we’re just going to be hearing late from a bunch of schools.

Just now, Dochinka96 said:

Really rooting for you today. I’ve become much less attached about Iowa just because of the time that has passed since Monday. Right now Michigan seems to be most likely for today

Thank you, the universe is testing my patience at the moment (definitely just got disowned by my father 2 days ago) and I want some good news from Iowa.

I hope Michigan offers you great things. And I hope your birthday went well!

OMG I have the worst relationship with my father. Left us when I was a toddler, met him for the first time at 20, one day wants a relationship, next day doesn't. Finally told me he wishes i was dead. 

I'd love to be a listening ear any time. It's so hard. Message me if you like

3 minutes ago, Dochinka96 said:

OMG I have the worst relationship with my father. Left us when I was a toddler, met him for the first time at 20, one day wants a relationship, next day doesn't. Finally told me he wishes i was dead. 

I'd love to be a listening ear any time. It's so hard. Message me if you like

Thank you, having someone to listen helps. It might take me awhile to talk (because of course my father told me complaining and crying were flaws of mine I need to fix), but if I need to I’ll message you. The same goes for the reverse, if you need to talk I’m more of a listener than a talker.

So, there’s a meme on draft memes tumblr that’s poking fun at trying to arrange housing from 1000 miles away. Fun fact, that’s approximately how far I am away from Iowa. And UNLV? 2500 MILES. WTF.

Edited by Ydrl

My father can't even read English. Sometimes, parents are dissatisfied with themselves and so they become invested in shooting down their kin. It's an unfortunate reality for both children of immigrants, and those of non-immigrants. 

But enough negativity, our dads can have keep theirs. 

Just now, goldielox said:

hey, everyone! I've been watching GradCafe for a bit, but I just made this account -- new to the whole thing haha. But this seems like a really nice and supportive place. :) I hope everyone receives good news soon!

Welcome! Where’d you apply (if you don’t mind my asking)?

(Dear god I post too much)

Just now, Ydrl said:

Welcome! Where’d you apply (if you don’t mind my asking)?

(Dear god I post too much)

haha I don't mind at all! I applied to UWM, Iowa, Michigan, IU, Notre Dame, and UV. UWM got back to me with a rejection, but they're the only school I've heard from so far. 

14 minutes ago, goldielox said:

haha I don't mind at all! I applied to UWM, Iowa, Michigan, IU, Notre Dame, and UV. UWM got back to me with a rejection, but they're the only school I've heard from so far. 

Did you apply to fiction or poetry?

45 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Join @Dochinka96 and I, we’ll form a pack and go to Iowa without fatherly approval. (Well, my father didn’t approve of my going for poetry.)

Jumping on the daddy issues train, haha! I guess instead of Motherless Brooklyn, we'd be Fatherless Iowa?

1 hour ago, Ydrl said:

No one’s heard anything yet from UMich? Weird.

No, not yet. I'm so anxious. Refeshing my inbox every 5 secs haha. I'm sorry you guys have probs with your family, @Dochinka96 and @anarchisttiger. If you want to share something, I'm quite a listener. 

@Ydrl keep your chin up eh. Hope you will hear good news soon.

7 minutes ago, Dochinka96 said:

Michigan Update from Draft: Results won't be out until next week. 

im happy and sad and annoyed and grateful. Im just dying I think. 

Oh no. :( I think the only strategy now is to drink my edginess away over the weekend LOL

14 minutes ago, Dochinka96 said:

Michigan Update from Draft: Results won't be out until next week. 

im happy and sad and annoyed and grateful. Im just dying I think. 

Where did it say this on the draft? current students were saying today 

edit: nevermind i saw it :(

Edited by Elirallo13