2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

1 minute ago, MFALongshot said:

I tend to black out and forget I even applied. Though this forum has helped me remember.

I wish I could forget I applied and be pleasantly reminded by an acceptance phone call or email. That’d be the dream. Unfortunately I’m always checking my applications, this forum, and generally trying to figure out what I’m going to do if I really don’t get in.

11 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Not entirely sure that’d work. The anxiety is keeping me awake, also I’ve been having nightmares everyday for the past month so I guess I’ll just stay awake for now.

The stress of waiting woke me up along with a fussy cat, so here I am! 

2 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

9 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

I wish I could forget I applied and be pleasantly reminded by an acceptance phone call or email. That’d be the dream. Unfortunately I’m always checking my applications, this forum, and generally trying to figure out what I’m going to do if I really don’t get in.

I hope you two get in somewhere so the anxiety can end. Idk why I'm so calm though. Maybe because I've experienced a lot of rejection the past 4.5 years (not related to MFA).

11 minutes ago, MFALongshot said:

I hope you two get in somewhere so the anxiety can end. Idk why I'm so calm though. Maybe because I've experienced a lot of rejection the past 4.5 years (not related to MFA).

I’ll feel better in mid-February! I’m very envious of your zen. 

27 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

I feel like the nightmares I’m having are mostly because of the stress of waiting. It stared about a month ago and that was when I turned in most of my apps.

And awww kitty ❤️

I’m both happy and a bit worried that we’re all awake.

23 minutes ago, MFALongshot said:

Well my anxiety is going to end sometime, but probably after everything ends. Even if I don’t get in anywhere, at least it’ll be over.

6 hours ago, Ydrl said:

Well my anxiety is going to end sometime, but probably after everything ends. Even if I don’t get in anywhere, at least it’ll be over.

Same, just knowing will be enough. I’m sure it’s a sentiment we all share! 

6 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

Same, just knowing will be enough. I’m sure it’s a sentiment we all share! 

My worrying will get better if I get accepted anywhere. At least having that insurance will definitely help. I know my anxiety is of my own making, especially when I check admissions portals that take a long time to load. I get excited, let down, and then anxious.

Edited by Ydrl

7 minutes ago, buckles said:

Have any of you been writing? If I applied to Syracuse, I'd be sad about Saunders. 

I’ve been taking a break from writing but it’s time to start on some poetry again. I do performance art and I need some new material. 

13 minutes ago, buckles said:

Have any of you been writing? If I applied to Syracuse, I'd be sad about Saunders. 

It’s not that I haven’t written anything at all, but I’ve only been writing down ideas. I’ve come full circle and now I’m too stressed to do very much besides worry in various ways.

42 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

It’s not that I haven’t written anything at all, but I’ve only been writing down ideas. I’ve come full circle and now I’m too stressed to do very much besides worry in various ways.

Ideas are half the battle. Writing has been keeping me sane. 

19 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

Me, checking the application portal one (1) day after the deadline: this is a great use of my time!

Big mood @feralgrad. I got way too excited at UNLV changing my status from submitted to Under departmental review. This happened like two weeks ago (deadline was yesterday) and I’m still a little shook.

8 hours ago, buckles said:

I've been writing here and there. Not as much as I should. I've been doing a lot of reading.

Edited by MFALongshot

8 hours ago, anarchisttiger said:

I’m scared of popping into a portal one day under the assumption nothing has changed, only to find myself rejected! Nightmare fuel. 

Yeah that’s definitely a possibility I didn’t consider. Now I’m not as keen to check my portals.

Just a random question for fiction applicants: In your writing sample, were your stories mostly in first person? I heard somewhere that MFA programs prefer the more intimate voice of first person fiction (I may be wrong). Just curious. 

44 minutes ago, rbr542 said:

Just a random question for fiction applicants: In your writing sample, were your stories mostly in first person? I heard somewhere that MFA programs prefer the more intimate voice of first person fiction (I may be wrong). Just curious. 

That's funny, because I saw one article suggesting /not/ to use firs person. My guess is that it depends on the program/professor. I included two pieces in my portfolio, one in first person and one in third. I think it's good to show some range.

Edited by feralgrad

3 hours ago, rbr542 said:

My writing sample was the first 2 chapters of my novel, first person present and first person past tense. I think reading submissions is just like going to a bookstore, reading the first few pages, deciding whether or not you like it. Except with submissions, someone reads through the end and their deciding whether they like what you wrote and if you'll fit in there.

4 hours ago, rbr542 said:

I had about a 50/50 mix of first and third. 

Yikes, I feel bad for all the fiction people having to worry about what perspectives to write in. I’m not sure if there’s an equivalent for the poetry people. Maybe lyric versus narrative versus dramatic. I definitely don’t write lyric poetry.

45 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Yikes, I feel bad for all the fiction people having to worry about what perspectives to write in.

Honestly, I assume we think about it way more than adcoms do. Really, you should feel bad for us cos there are way more of us jockeying for the same number of spots.

Edited by feralgrad

12 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

Honestly, I assume we think about it way more than adcoms do. Really, you should feel bad for us cos there are way more of us jockeying for the same number of spots (source: one of my professors + an admissions coordinator from American).

Yeah, there’s that too, man fiction writers do have it bad.

So is there anyone else in the low self esteem boat with me? All of my recommenders (all have MFAs, one is a NYT best selling author) and everyone who has read my material thinks I’ll get in somewhere, unfortunately I don’t share the same sentiment. It’s kind of like impostor syndrome but I haven’t even had the luxury of getting in yet.